Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

don mash
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

I will receive my new X later today if Fed-ex is on time.

I have gone through all the Canon learning center videos and was wondering what your settings look like, specifically for shooting sports.

Fell like sharing, let me know.

thanks,

don

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Rav13
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

I did something similar to this, hope it helps

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Video

Aug 15, 2012 at 03:44 PM
don mash
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

Rav,

thank you very much, learning all the potential functions is wonderful.

It is nice to see how others use these function which makes making a decision a better more informed one.

thanks again.
don

Aug 15, 2012 at 05:02 PM
Jack Kelley
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

Hey, guys --

Thanks for posting. I was hoping somebody would start a thread like this. I'm pressed for time at the moment, so cannot go into deep detail, but a couple quick notes:

My Custom settings are very much like those in the video. I use Orientation Linked AF point instead of registered; just a personal preference. I start with 4-point surround instead of 8; again, just personal preference. And I like Multifunction Direct control of AF -- old habits from the 1D4. As in the video, I programmed the two buttons to switch between One-Shot & Servo, and switch between 4-point-surround and 61-point iTR. This may change with more time and experience, but that's where I am right now.

One nuance I discovered by accident is that I needed to enable Auto Updating for C1, C2 & C3 because otherwise, whenever I changed Case while shooting sports, the settings would revert each time the camera slept. I'd be thinking I had switched for the day to, say, Case 4, and it had jumped back to my registered C setting, Case 1.

That's probably obvious to previous users of custom settings, but I hadn't used them before and it caught me by surprise.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:18 PM
rantonishak
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

Below is a link from "one of the best" sport shooters...... He shares his experience (and settings) about using his 1Dx.. And, believe me... He is one of THE best..

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news_story.html?id=2678

I hope others will share their 1Dx settings as well...

Sincerely,
Randal

Oct 13, 2012 at 04:35 PM
don mash
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

Randal,

Thank you for sharing...especially coming from someone as incredible as Peter.

don

Oct 13, 2012 at 05:20 PM
Berit

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

Thank you for sharing the link to Peter Read Miller's knowledge and experience with the custom settings - it has some of the most useful information I've seen yet, and really helped with his explanations!

Berit

Nov 02, 2012 at 10:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

I'm still geting used to mine.

Randal, thanks for the link - great article!

These links are useful, too, in case you haven't seen them:

"EOS-1D X AF Settings Guidebook", see link near bottom left of "Master the EOS-1D X's AF System"
http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/1dx_guidebook.shtml

"Back-Button Auto Focus Explained"
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/backbutton_af_article.shtml

Nov 03, 2012 at 08:05 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

Jack Kelley wrote:
, the settings would revert each time the camera slept. I'd be thinking I had switched for the day to, say, Case 4, and it had jumped back to my registered C setting, Case 1.

I've been reading a lot lately on the custom modes.
One person recommended you have sleep/auto-off disabled in the custom modes. That way if you made adjustments to your custom mode for a particular day, you would not lose them all after a couple minutes of inactivity. Then when you turn off the camera, settings revert to your original custom defaults.

Nov 03, 2012 at 08:48 PM
canon1
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

Hi,

Just got my 1Dx and I was wondering if anyone is using this camera as their main landscape camera. I am trying to decide whether or not to keep my 5D markIII.

Thanks,

Feb 09, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Michael Wayne

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

canon1 wrote:
Hi,

Just got my 1Dx and I was wondering if anyone is using this camera as their main landscape camera. I am trying to decide whether or not to keep my 5D markIII.

Thanks,

I was going to go this route...also...had a 1DX...on order...but decided to keep my 5D3 and get a 600mm II...I decided to wait until the "next" 1DX? or replacement comes out...I do know my 5D2 was a just a bit better at landscapes.

After using the 600mm II, I am not "unhappy" at all with my decision...but from what I am told...a 1DX would be better on the 600mm and my 800mm lens...but I am still going to wait it out...hope for a replacement soon...as per CR!

Feb 09, 2014 at 11:08 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

You mean...you don't just point and click? For $6800, it should wash your underwear after you see the "amazing photos it takes."

Feb 09, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

Thank you for sharing. I have some work to do with this. Features I wasn't using but can sure make use of.
Rav13 wrote:
I did something similar to this, hope it helps

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Video

Feb 09, 2014 at 12:01 PM
canon1
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

Well after emptying the wallet for 1Dx, found it for $6300, cannot afford a new lens. The first shots I took yesterday with 1Dx are amazing just wish it had a few more MPs. Canon does not seem to be in any hurry to release new DSLRs. I am hearing 3rd quarter for the 7D replacement.

Feb 09, 2014 at 04:09 PM
panicatnabisco
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

LoL no one buys a 1dX for MP

Feb 09, 2014 at 04:12 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

Ok, I set up my custom setting 1 with Shutter priority, but how do I set it such that it always starts with the lens wide open? How do I get that to occur for each different lens I might put on the camera?

I wanted to set up CS 2 with shutter priority and a minimum shutter speed.....only I can't figure out how to get the shutter priority to get set, it starts with Program mode and stays there....how do I change it?

If I set these,even if I change them in a shoot, how do I get them to stay there during the shoot even when the camera goes to sleep? Then finally how do I get it to start up some other time with the original fresh settings......anyone?

Feb 09, 2014 at 05:59 PM
rrwingnut
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

tag

Feb 09, 2014 at 07:02 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

Check for the Automatic Uodating of the custom shooting modes
You have the option of auto uodating the modes to reflect any changes made during shooting or only have those changes take affect while shooting, after which it reverts back to original mode settings

Feb 10, 2014 at 06:44 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

rantonishak wrote:
Below is a link from "one of the best" sport shooters...... He shares his experience (and settings) about using his 1Dx.. And, believe me... He is one of THE best..

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news_story.html?id=2678

I hope others will share their 1Dx settings as well...

Sincerely,
Randal

I don't doubt that he is one of the best sports shooters out there but a lot of that info in the article is just quoting the manual or sort of wrong. He even admits in the opening paragraph that he really hadn't even looked into all the menus...that guy is good because he has the "eye" but not someone I would take advice from for setting up my 1DX.

He mentions the Auto AF pt sel:EOS iTR AF but makes no mention that that feature only works in All-61 pt mode and Zone mode. I have a feeling he isn't using either of those modes for sports shooting in fact he says that in the next paragraph. Actually, most of the info that seems questionable in the article is the stuff he says "Jerry said"....that stuff is really off base for the most part.

I don't shoot sports, but do shoot BIF. I will give you my settings below and explain some of them to try and get you thinking about how it would work in your individual cases:

AF(1): I use Case 2 and have it custom set to -2, -1, 0 for the 3 settings...this is very specific to lock on when I tell it to with the back button focus technique and not let go. This prevents background jumping, jumping to other birds etc but if you do lose it or need to focus on something else you have to pump that back button to get a new focus to acquire.
AF(2):AIServo 1st and 2nd priority I just leave in the middle setting
AF(3):No relevance, defaults for me, one shot is on focus priority for me
AF(4): ON, ON, Selectable AF point (all 61 but I have it set to flash just the x-points), I limit my modes to not include Zone and All point 61 modes as they only focus on the closest subject. I use top scroll wheel as my AF area selection method.

CF(1): Spot meter linked to AF point I have set to on but I mostly work in manual mode so doesn't really affect me too much.
CF(2): Safety shift ISO, this is useful if in AV or TV mode, less useful now with FW 2.0 and EC being available in M and Auto-ISO mode.
CF(3): I restrict my speed to 12FPS in high and 10FPS in low, I restrict drive modes to not use H 14fps jpeg as I shoot only RAW
CF(5):Custom Control: this is the big game changer in the 1DX and even better now in FW2.0

I have shutter button to Metering start, AF-On to meter/focus, * to meter/focus with custom settings available only in FW 2.0 and now this switches the camera to use One-shot focus!!!!!! best thing I've ever seen added to a camera, M-fn: cycles my C1 and C2 modes, M-Fn2 switches AF modes to a different set and spot metering/focusing, Set button does ISO so I can hold the set and scroll the index finger wheel to change ISO quickly. Multi controller is set to change AF pints.

CF(6): FW 2.0 gave us Same Exposure for new aperture and I set it to ISO. This means that when I switch TCs or switch in or out the internal TC in the 200-400 that as long as the camera remains powered on the camera will switch my ISO to keep my previous exposure at the same level......AWESOME!!!

That is about it....the AF(1) settings are where you have to experiment the most. Case 1 will get the job done most of the time but you can fine tune any of them to what you want. Case 5 and 6 only work in expansion modes as they are designed to hand off AF to surrounding points with different degrees of readiness.

Hope this helps.

Feb 10, 2014 at 08:52 AM
Jim Servies
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 1dx what are your settings?

Great information Geoff. Thank you for sharing your settings! As a new 1Dx owner (today ) I find this extremely helpful and I'm sure the OP does too.

Feb 10, 2014 at 09:36 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.