Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 2 pw flexs or 1 flex and one mini??

boshek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2 pw flexs or 1 flex and one mini??

what is the advantage of the mini?? just its size?? I like the idea of the mini but am afraid the battery will die and I wont have one. The flex uses AA batteries so thats never a problem. I also plan to use the AC3 with whatever way I go. thoughts ty

Aug 15, 2012 at 07:46 AM
djb663
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2 pw flexs or 1 flex and one mini??

I use the mini, 3 flex's, and ac3. I would prefer that the mini use AA batteries also. One "advantage" of the mini is the fact that it doesn't use an external antenna. Unless your camera is mounted in a tripod, it's nice to know that the antenna won't be broken by any type of accidental contact that is far less likely on the flex which is most likely on a light stand out of the way.

Does that outweigh the transceiver and battery benefits? I don't know, I don't abuse my gear so in hindsight I wish I had gone with four flex's.

Finally, the battery in my mini lasted about 5000 shots. If you're the type that pays attention to warning lights, the status indicator light on the mini changes from green to amber when the battery weakens. If you carry a spare, it's very quick to change.

Aug 15, 2012 at 08:07 AM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2 pw flexs or 1 flex and one mini??

Having had the flex5's, that antenna is annoying. I frequently lost communications with my OCF in the middle of something due to it flopping down.

The mini, while its battery is non standard, is a better one if you are shooting as you move around IMO.

Aug 15, 2012 at 09:14 AM
awptimist

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2 pw flexs or 1 flex and one mini??

I have a mini + ac3 controlling a pair of flex's. Despite the non-ideal battery (picked up a slew off amazon as spares), the setup is quite a bit less cumbersome than having a flex on top of the camera.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I think the mini holds a slight advantage (at least to me) over the flex for the transmitter.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2 pw flexs or 1 flex and one mini??

ok, thanks guys.........a mini and flex it is!!!

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:22 PM
PShizzy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2 pw flexs or 1 flex and one mini??

I have 3 flex's, 2 mini's and an ac3. For most things I just use the flex as a master with the ac3, and control two lights. That way I can avoid using the mini and it's button battery.

I will use the mini (and I have a g-wiz bag with a spare button battery just in case), when I have to control three flashes, or sometimes when it's on a camera that has a function dial on the left (D300, for example) which can be blocked by the flex.

button batteries are cheap, so I'd buy a few to have handy if possible. But when I got it, the original owner told me their first one lasted a year or so, and never showed low battery.

Aug 18, 2012 at 02:38 AM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2 pw flexs or 1 flex and one mini??

ty

Aug 19, 2012 at 08:38 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.