New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              6       7       end

Archive 2012 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

surf monkey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

Just to be clear, here's my observations.

- all AF points are black in "standard" state and can be switched off or on.
In one shot and ai focus modes:
- AF points light up red with focus when VF display illumination is on, or can be red in dark situations in auto mode.
In AI servo mode:
- AF points DO NOT light up red in any settings.
In all AF modes:
- AF points will light up red when moving the AF point if VF display illumination is on.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Chris Sharp
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

Having just switched from a 30D to the 5d mk III I can say that it is definitely an awesome camera but there are a few areas that are frustrating and even feel like a downgrade from the 30D (given the price of $3500).

1.) AF point illumination is not ideal, but for me it's not a deal breaker - just annoying that they couldn't come up with anything better after decades of making cameras.

2.) Auto ISO implementation is totally half-baked. Namely the shutter speed limit and no Exp. comp in manual mode

3.) Max sync speed of 1/160 with radio triggers. I could get at least 1/200 if not 1/250 with my 30D

4.) Hate the shutter sound of the 5D mk III. It is the most plastic-y lego shutter sound I've ever heard on a camera. The silent shutter is nice though.

5.) Don't like that mRAW saves full size 22mp jpegs with it so they only save you about 5-6mb compared to full RAW.

Other than those things - nice camera.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:32 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

surf monkey wrote:
In AI servo mode:

This is the huge problem, at least for me coming from a 1D4/1D2. Shooting in cave like gyms at f2.8 or less with very little DOF trying to track players driving a crowded lane and not wanting to lock on the player next to them. I really would like to see the AF point so I can put it on target. It defies logic that the Canon flagship sports body specifically designed with better low light AF and ISO has no way to actually see the AF point under those conditions.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

surf monkey wrote:
In AI servo mode:

ggreene wrote:
This is the huge problem, at least for me coming from a 1D4/1D2. Shooting in cave like gyms at f2.8 or less with very little DOF trying to track players driving a crowded lane and not wanting to lock on the player next to them. I really would like to see the AF point so I can put it on target. It defies logic that the Canon flagship sports body specifically designed with better low light AF and ISO has no way to actually see the AF point under those conditions.

Yes, I totally agree. To not have the option is baffling.
But I think that those that don't know that the red indicators light up in the other modes are thinking that it is a problem in all AF modes.

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:09 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

Coming from a 1DsII and shooting weddings, I have to say this is a Non-Issue with me and my wife, who moved from and to the same setup.

I usually only use the center AF anyway as during ceremony / portraits its the most accurate and during the reception the only one with any accuracy in low light with F2.8 lenses and faster.
And I always used AI Servo so they never lite up anyway...
If you forget where it is (pretty easy to see, same as the grid) just press the af button and it lights up...

and here i thought the biggest issue with the 5DIII was that it wasnt much better in DR than the 1DSII...

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:01 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

I am a semi-pro. I make some money, but not all of it or even most of it, through photography. I do like to make nice images. I don't find it to be an issue at all. Mostly I am shooting sports. So, I normally shoot center point, AI Servo and high speed. When I shoot soccer, for example, I am aiming for center mass, chest area, and not even really seeing the AF points. I have not shot night time football yet, but imagine it will be the same way. Shoot center mass and try to follow the action without ever really needing to see the AF point.

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:08 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

surf monkey wrote:
Just to be clear, here's my observations.

- all AF points are black in "standard" state and can be switched off or on.
In one shot and ai focus modes:
- AF points light up red with focus when VF display illumination is on, or can be red in dark situations in auto mode.
In AI servo mode:
In all AF modes:
- AF points will light up red when moving the AF point if VF display illumination is on.

To add:
- When using in bright situations, the red focus points are hardly visible. This is compared to the 5D2, which is easily visible in any conditions. But if you make the grid visible, that lights up red as well and is usually noticeable.

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:21 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

non-issue

Aug 15, 2012 at 05:53 PM
Todd Klassy
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

timgangloff wrote:
I normally shoot center point, AI Servo and high speed.

And there is the rub. I don't. And I highly suspect those who constantly shoot with the AF point locked in the center of the camera don't have a problem with this matter. I, on the other hand, am constantly (emphasis on the word "constantly") moving my AF point from one corner of the VF to the other corner, to the other corner. My AF is constantly moving because I am constantly thinking about my background, and I'm constantly moving from place to place at a shoot trying to create a variety of shots and compositions. As such, this is a problem for me.

I appreciate it is not a concern for some. But what's the point of having several AF points and having the ability to move the AF point(s) from one corner of the frame to another if you can't see where the AF point is?

Aug 15, 2012 at 06:26 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

From my keeping the new accuracy of the AF system means I no longer need to use single point in most cases in servo so what point I'm seeing really doesn't matter at all.
For shallow DOF single shot stuff I flick the AF point button rear top right and my point is illuminated for composing and aiming precisely an image then release and shoot.
With extremely reliable accuracy in servo I myself can't see a need for the points to be illuminated as shooting say center expanded has the zone in the viewfinder full time.
IE If in center point you are aiming to keep it in the center of that zone anyway what point is in use is meaningless.
I like the less cluttered viewfinder in servo with less distractions.

Edited on Aug 16, 2012 at 03:31 AM · View previous versions

Aug 15, 2012 at 08:23 PM
pompo
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

if you ok with missing 20% -30% of shots when you need to move around the af spot real quick in a fast moving action packed shoot then its not an issue.

If you don't use very fast prime lenses 1.2 and 1.4 /1.8 then is not an issue.

if you don't shoot in continuos servo in low light off center, non-issue.

if you don-t constantly move the af point around to get the dang subject out of the middle of the dang frame, non -issue.

Its pretty bad and frustrating to have a brand spanking new AF system , super fast (on a 4K camera) and missing shots because of this stupid "intelligent viewfinder".... Yes I would go to a shop and try it out, with a fast lens, even better I would rent one out for a weekend.

Aug 15, 2012 at 08:31 PM
cheem
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

I shoot mostly center point, single shot and I played with all the various options such as 'VF display illumination is on'. I would say this issue is my one BIG gripe about this camera. I have only tested out AI Servo on the 5D3 and admittedly I didn't use it all that often on my 40D so I am likely not the best one to comment on it but it is virtually transparent in that mode.

Even though I shoot mostly center point, it is still a huge pain and I am hoping a firmware fix will be along before long...

Aug 15, 2012 at 09:07 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

It is an issue for me, but I need to keep my mouth shut as otherwise I'll get flamed.

Aug 15, 2012 at 09:33 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

stanj wrote:
It is an issue for me, but I need to keep my mouth shut as otherwise I'll get flamed.

Canon is looking for photographers like you to be development testers. They are only interested in hearing good things.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

The old translucent VF display of the 7D is similar to the 5D3: set a CF to illuminate the AF points red all the time. However, although they flash, you can barely tell in bright light. I prefer to leave the red flash off as it is distracting but clearly lots of photos have gotten used to the flash and depend on it. Also, the 7D lacks red flashes in AI servo although the active point is visible as a black square. Oddly, all these years I've haven't noticed any comments about the feeble red flash of the 7D, so I was surprised the same thing in the 5D3 bothered so many. Perhaps the lack of complaints about the 7D lead CAnon to believe translucent VF display of the 7D was perfect and thus adapted its behavior to the 5D3.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:26 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

dehowie wrote:
From my keeping the new accuracy of the AF system means I no longer need to use singe point in most cases in servo so what point I'm sing really doesn't matter at all.
For shallow DOF single shot stuff I flick the AF point button rear top right and my point is illuminated for composing and aiming precisely an image then release and shoot.
With extremely reliable accuracy in servo I myself can't see a need for the points to be illuminated as shooting say center expanded has the zone in the viewfinder full time.
IE If in center point you are
...Show more

I think Dehowie has nailed it.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM
dwweiche
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

Gochugogi wrote:
The old translucent VF display of the 7D is similar to the 5D3: set a CF to illuminate the AF points red all the time. However, although they flash, you can barely tell in bright light. I prefer to leave the red flash off as it is distracting but clearly lots of photos have gotten used to the flash and depend on it. Also, the 7D lacks red flashes in AI servo although the active point is visible as a black square. Oddly, all these years I've haven't noticed any comments about the feeble red flash of the 7D, so
...Show more

Yes. As I remember it, the primary complaint about the new 7D viewfinder/AF display was that it was associated with the removal of interchangeable focus screens. This was considered an unwelcome step back from the xxD line.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

I can see why guys shooting say a crowded field wanting to focus on one individual have a problem without the point illuminated.
Given in sigle shot you can enable a lit Af point by pushing a button you think they could illuminate a single point in servo to help out say tracking a soccer player on a crowded field.
As for me i dont get the whole swizzle of focus points in a blurr of action..been using focus recompose for years without any drama's and works great on the 1Dx and 5dmk3..horses for courses..

Aug 16, 2012 at 03:40 AM
Steven Everitt
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

Thanks everyone who added their 2pence worth, I have read and re-read and just this minute placed my order for the 5D III - what the Mrs may not appreciate is I added a 17-40 L, Battery Grip and Lightroom 4!! !! Oh well

Thanks again

Aug 16, 2012 at 08:19 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 5D III - Viewfinder Red Light Issue or Non-Issue

@ Steven:
I am pretty sure she will understand it. I myself do not feel comfortable without BG. LR is not so expensive. And of course, a 17-40 L is a must have for everybody, right?

Aug 16, 2012 at 09:12 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.