Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Stolen Camera Equipment in Connecticut

Paul.K
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Stolen Camera Equipment in Connecticut

I was gone all day from my apartment and returned to it and the door deadbolt was busted out and my camera equipment ($4k) was gone. Keep an eye out on Craigslist or in pawn shops if you can. I am moving back to Virginia this week :-/ My apartment is near Wesleyan University in Middletown, CT.

Equipment and Serial Numbers:

Nikon D90 w/ MB-D80 Grip
(#3082565)

Nikon 70-200 VRI
(#376743)

Nikon 50/1.8G
(#6013021)

Nikon SB-800
(2353272)

Nikon SB-600
(#2779076)

Nikon 17-55
(#332525)

Sigma 10-20
(#2100160)

That's the basics of it. Of course, there were lots of accessories and some smaller stuff but I appreciate any help or tips. You can PM me if you find anything or just call the Middletown, CT police. I got lucky as a lot of really important stuff was left behind. I didn't have any renter's insurance or anything as I am just a college student.

Aug 15, 2012 at 05:47 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Stolen Camera Equipment in Connecticut

My condolences for your loss

Aug 15, 2012 at 06:33 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Stolen Camera Equipment in Connecticut

Sorry about your loss, but, even as a college student I had renter's insurance.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #4 · Stolen Camera Equipment in Connecticut

Sorry to hear - I look at CL a lot and am in the market for a 17-55. If I see a 332525 I'll get extra info and let you know!

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #5 · Stolen Camera Equipment in Connecticut

Andre Labonte wrote:
Sorry about your loss, but, even as a college student I had renter's insurance.

Yes, it is smart to have it wherever you go but I was stupid since I am just on a 3-month summer lease away from college. I thought I'd be okay. I was not. Now I know Thanks guys, the support helps.

Aug 15, 2012 at 08:54 PM
Big Appa
• • •
p.1 #6 · Stolen Camera Equipment in Connecticut

It is good, though, that you had the serial numbers written down. Hope that it helps.

Ed

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:23 PM
brewercm
• •
p.1 #7 · Stolen Camera Equipment in Connecticut

You can give the serial numbers to the local pawn shops. If they it through the doors they will call the police.

Aug 16, 2012 at 01:13 AM
J Lachel

p.1 #8 · Stolen Camera Equipment in Connecticut

Paul,

Find an image taken with the stolen camera and go here:

http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/

Aug 18, 2012 at 09:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

snegron
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Stolen Camera Equipment in Connecticut

Paul, not sure if you did this yet, but if not: when you file a police report for your stolen equipment make sure to request that the serial numbers be placed in NCIC. That is a national database system that can be accessed by all law enforcement agencies.

If someone tries to pawn it anywhere or gets stopped by the police and the serial numbers are run by the officer, it will alert as stolen.

p.s. Also, check Craigslist frequently as many times thieves try to sell stuff there. Also, check your local pawn shops without asking the employees about your equipment. If they purchased the equipment before it was listed in the national database of stolen items, they will not want to be associated with shady dealings and will probably throw your equipment away before getting caught with it. Just go around the pawn shops and look at everything as if you are shopping for stuff. Also, check your local flea market.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:22 AM
myam203
• • •
p.1 #10 · Stolen Camera Equipment in Connecticut

That really sucks man... you have to wonder if it's someone you know, otherwise, they got pretty lucky in finding the one apartment with expensive camera gear.

Aug 19, 2012 at 02:34 AM
LifeWitness

p.1 #11 · Stolen Camera Equipment in Connecticut

I'm sorry to hear that. I do hope they find it all in great shape.

Mike

Aug 19, 2012 at 03:45 AM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #12 · Stolen Camera Equipment in Connecticut

Mike Yamin wrote:
That really sucks man... you have to wonder if it's someone you know, otherwise, they got pretty lucky in finding the one apartment with expensive camera gear.

Hi, another apartment beside me was also broken into. I am right on the first floor by the entrance but it's possible I suppose.

Thanks for all the support and advice. I will for sure check into the NCIC and have someone I know visit some pawn shops and look around (I've moved away actually).

Aug 19, 2012 at 01:10 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Stolen Camera Equipment in Connecticut

Terrible - I put insurance on all my equipment (damage/loss/theft) before I left on a big trip to China/Japan/Europe and it has made me so much more comfortable. I just don't worry about it.

Sorry for your loss - having the serial numbers is a great thing. Hope it helps you get your stuff back!

Aug 19, 2012 at 01:26 PM
campyone
• •
p.1 #14 · Stolen Camera Equipment in Connecticut

Since you're moving this may not matter to you but I had a friend who was victimized three times over the course of a year or two, apparently by the same thieves (same method of breaking in each time). They let enough time go by for him to collect on his insurance and replace the stuff they stole, then they'd break in and steal it again. I don't know how common that is but just in case, it pays to be extra careful after the first break in.

Aug 19, 2012 at 02:05 PM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #15 · Stolen Camera Equipment in Connecticut

Yeah, I've wanted the peace of mind of having insurance for a while but as usual, you never really get the motivation to look that up until something like this happens. Definitely getting separate insurance for my gear once I buy some (fewer) replacements.

Good point, campyone. But yeah, I left the day after it occurred actually. Didn't want to be there any more.

Aug 21, 2012 at 03:21 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #16 · Stolen Camera Equipment in Connecticut

We just got a new insurance policy that covers up to $50k in losses for fire/flood/theft/whatever and up to 5 million for the building, should we be the ones causing the flood/fire/whatever. It cost us $165 for a whole year. Money well spent.

Aug 21, 2012 at 03:33 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password