Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · First engagement/First Post intro

cmcleod
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First engagement/First Post intro

Hello All,

So please allow me to introduce myself before I go ahead and put my work out there. My name is Cam Mcleod and I moonlight as a freelance photographer. I occasionally work for the local paper, have done a few commercial shoots for some outdoor companies and have two, yes 2 weddings under my belt (its a ton I know).

As of late it seems that more and more people have been asking me to do weddings and as I have become more comfortable with managing the stress, I am more willing to accept their inquisitions. I love photography and have had a deep rooted passion for the art/profession since I was young. As I have grown into my photography I realize how much I want to tell stories, whether its with a single frame or a series of compiled images, I love the story and challenge in trying to tell it.

Even before I started dabbling in the wedding side of photography I loved coming to this forum to consume and absorb as much information as I could. I believe there is an incredible amount of talent and knowledge here and I'm happy there is a community of people out there willing to share and collaborate. So thank you all for the knowledge I have taken away from this forum.

This first post is of my friends Mike and Kristin who will be getting married in Winter Park, Colorado in a few weeks. We scheduled a nice relaxing morning to go for a hike and take some engagement photos which is the first time I have done an engagement shoot. I know the processing is not everyone's cup of tea but I welcome and appreciate any and all feedback.

Cam

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:09 AM
cmcleod
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First engagement/First Post intro

A few more

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:11 AM
cmcleod
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First engagement/First Post intro

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM
cmcleod
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First engagement/First Post intro

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM
mccallmedia
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First engagement/First Post intro

You're off to a good start. I remember when I first got my feet wet in wedding/engagement stuff so I feel you. I think the big thing for you is mixing up poses/compositions. These photos all feel fairly similar. Give yourself some distance sometimes. I like 3 the most I think. The processing is too warm for my liking. But at least you kept it consistent. I think shots like 4 need both of them in focus. It doesn't really work for me having them so close to each other but the guy somewhat soft. 7 has potential but again give yourself some space between them and try to persuade them into some sort of moment for a photo like that. Engagement photos where the couple are walking down a deserted road can be really cool if executed just right.

Best of luck in your future wedding shooting! It gets easier with each wedding and your photos will constantly improve. Cheers.

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:26 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First engagement/First Post intro

I like it as a first go at things, looks like you are on the right track.

My biggest comment.... So much green and yellow tinting that it is throwing the skin tone off too far for my taste.

Other than that, hope you keep posting.

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:08 AM
cmcleod
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First engagement/First Post intro

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I have read time and time again and have experienced first hand the difficulty in posing. It never seems to fail that when I think I'm getting a variety of poses, I get back home, load the images and sure enough things start to look similar. I reconize this as being one of the best places for me to grow as a photographer within this format of photography. If your interested there are a few other images from this shoot on the blog portion of my website. Thanks again for looking and the feedback.

Aug 15, 2012 at 09:58 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.