Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5Dc - Do they all need the mirror 'fix'?

onegreatcity
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 5Dc - Do they all need the mirror 'fix'?

Is it fair to say the majority of 5Dc bodies require the fix? Are there stats indicating what percentage do? Does Canon continue to fix them without cost to the owner, regardless of age or actuations?
Thanks,
-Cam

Aug 14, 2012 at 09:17 PM
AmIgone
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 5Dc - Do they all need the mirror 'fix'?

Only if they fall off. IIRC it was for high humidity areas is what the original service request was for. Although Canon was fixing them no matter where you lived. Id call them and ask if there still doing them for free. I know a couple weeks ago some one said they sent one in the mirror fell off on and they charged them. He said it had like140K clicks though.

Aug 14, 2012 at 09:32 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #3 · 5Dc - Do they all need the mirror 'fix'?

No they don't all need the fix. I've owned one with 100K and never had issues. I currently have one with 25K that I just picked up today from Canon and they did the fix for free. Only reason I had it done is because I'm going to sell it and everyone always asks "did it have the fix". My first 5D did need it though as it came apart the first day I shot with it.

Aug 14, 2012 at 09:46 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · 5Dc - Do they all need the mirror 'fix'?

Mine fell apart a couple of years ago at Road Atlanta..temp. in the 90s (F), and high humidity, normal here during the summer months...they fixed it for free...it was a referb from Canon...no other problems and still shooting in the same conditions during summer and early fall...

Shoot it 'till it quits...send it in...have it fixed...and shoot some more...until then, I would't worry about it...

Aug 14, 2012 at 09:52 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · 5Dc - Do they all need the mirror 'fix'?

Mine lived for 3 1/2 years in dry conditions and then 2 1/2 in humid conditions before the mirror fell off. Canon fixed it free and free shipping.

I would guess that a majority of them have been fixed, though some were undoubtedly fixed while in the shop for shutter replacement due to high actuations and for other repairs.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM
alpharon
• •
p.1 #6 · 5Dc - Do they all need the mirror 'fix'?

If I were in the market for a 5DC, I'd be more inclined to buy one that hasn't had the fix. That way, I can send it to Canon to have the fix done for free and they'll usually include a clean & check with that service, too.

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:52 PM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #7 · 5Dc - Do they all need the mirror 'fix'?

Thanks for the replies...

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:14 AM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #8 · 5Dc - Do they all need the mirror 'fix'?

The mirror fix is a general recall which is still in effect. I had one repaired a couple of weeks ago which I purchased for my wife as a spare (she loves the 5D) at no charge, 4 day turnaround. The reference to Canon charging someone is not accurate. The service center in fact said they would charge but once the FM member asked again after posting here and getting good advice, Canon said they made a mistake and the repair would be free.

Dave

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · 5Dc - Do they all need the mirror 'fix'?

alpharon wrote:
If I were in the market for a 5DC, I'd be more inclined to buy one that hasn't had the fix. That way, I can send it to Canon to have the fix done for free and they'll usually include a clean & check with that service, too.

I had the mirror fix done at Irvine and they did a good job with the fix. I'm very fussy about keeping it clean and send them a pristine CMOS. Canon's free cleaning job left it extremely dirty and it took me several intensive cleanings to get it back to normal. On the plus side, they did a good job of cleaning my focusing screen.

Aug 15, 2012 at 02:13 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #10 · 5Dc - Do they all need the mirror 'fix'?

50% of the Canon 5D cameras need the fix.

At least up to now at 50% of my 5D cameras the mirror fell off.
Have two cameras, probably a bit small number for statistics

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #11 · 5Dc - Do they all need the mirror 'fix'?

When I owned my 5Dc, it did not need the fix. Then again, I did purchase it refurbished from Canon, so it's possible it was fixed prior to me buying it. At the time I sold it, it only had about 2,000 actuations on the shutter anyway.

-Nick

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:03 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #12 · 5Dc - Do they all need the mirror 'fix'?

The fix is still free and probably will always be. Maybe.....hope so.....unless Canon
wants to force users into their newer 5D's.

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:07 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #13 · 5Dc - Do they all need the mirror 'fix'?

alpharon wrote:

Exactly, no one cleans a sensor as well as Canon.

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:12 PM
mld2

p.1 #14 · 5Dc - Do they all need the mirror 'fix'?

I have a 5Dc as one of my backups. The mirror fell off and Canon said to send it in and they would fix it free. They later got back to me when they received the camera and said they had to repair the USB port, too, which was damaged years ago and has no bearing whatsoever on the mirror. (By the way, the USB repair is almost $550...totally not worth it to me.) They said they will not do a partial repair even though the mirror issue is a manufacturer defect. So, for those of you who have the mirror issue, beware that Canon may not make the repair for free if there is some other issue with the camera that impacts its proper "operational specifications." This, in my view, is a failing in Canon's customer support.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #15 · 5Dc - Do they all need the mirror 'fix'?

Since it's "free" for the cost of shipping to them, have the mirror fix done so that when, not if, it falls off, it does not damage something else while it is flopping around inside.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · 5Dc - Do they all need the mirror 'fix'?

I've had it happen on one of my two 5Dc's living in a dry part of the middle east however it was some 20,000 frames after the shutter replacement so that will give an idea of just how 'used' the body was before it happened.

I had mine done by an independent repair shop, cost the equivalent of $40 and he did it in a day (I was in a rush), it's not an expensive repair even should you have a horror story as above.

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:51 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password