Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Product studio: what is needed?

Daan B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Product studio: what is needed?

A business partner has decided to do their product photography in house. They want to built a small studio. They have got a large hall available. The studio itself will be about 5 x 8 meters big. The products will be chairs, sofas and benches, as well as tables. Shiny and matt objects.

They have ask me for some advice on what they need for equipment. Not sure they have come to the right person. I know a thing or two about studio lighting of course, but I am not entirely sure what you need for shooting products like they are selling. So, I come here to seek some advice.

What do you think is needed to built a product studio?

Thanks

Aug 14, 2012 at 08:01 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Product studio: what is needed?

Since they be shooting a lot of catalogue stuff in white BG's, I guess they'll need:

A white seamless backdrop.
Large translucent panels and reflectors and maybe some flags
Stands
Lights: strobes vs continuous lights () - probably around 4 of them. Not sure on the power though. I guess a lot will be shot with a short tele at f/8-f/16.

How am I doing so far?

Aug 14, 2012 at 08:15 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Product studio: what is needed?

Lighting large products like furniture requires a lot of light, so strobes would be less power-intensive than hot lights. (Easier/safer to work with, too.)

A heavy-duty tripod or camera stand is a must. (Sometimes using long shutter speeds and painting the product with light will give the best results, sometimes combining multiple exposures into a single HDR image will be best, and so on.)

Four lights may not be enough; to get even lighting across a large white BG may require four or more lights just for that, plus lights for the product(s).

More-powerful lights will be better than less-powerful ones; a lot of the shots will require the lights to be back a fair distance from the products, so fall-off will be a concern, especially considering the small apertures that may be needed to keep large pieces in sharp focus from front to back.

It's really a vast topic, and too much to cover in one post.

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:19 AM
visualist

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Product studio: what is needed?

In the thread you seem to have lost interest in, Peter suggested a 3x3m panel for a chair. What do you think how large a panel should be if you want to shoot a sofa? Exactly ;-)

If the hall is large, why would the studio only be 5x8. 5m is pretty tight for furniture.
Anyways, you seem to be in way over your head. Contact someone who knows what they're doing, Bacht, Hensel, Foba ... whatever you got in NL.
Then, ofcourse, you still need someone to operate the equiptment ...

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:44 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Product studio: what is needed?

To be honest Daan, I've learned the wrong way that if you are qualified to be shooting product they'll already know what they need. Been there, screwed that up

Aug 15, 2012 at 05:15 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password