Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

Canon USA had previously warned that the front rubber grips on some EOS Rebel T4i units may turn white due to a substance called zinc bis (N,N’-dimethyldithiocarbamate).
Today. the The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recalled about 68,200 cameras sold by major US retailers for repair.

"WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product."

Aug 14, 2012 at 07:41 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

Ouch!

Aug 14, 2012 at 07:43 PM
Sir_Loin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

That's going to cost a pretty penny!

Aug 14, 2012 at 07:47 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

Bad luck for those who bought them.

Its not yet a European recall by the looks of things, but an "important information":

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_650D.aspx?type=important&faqtcmuri=tcm:14-948234

Aug 14, 2012 at 07:49 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

What exactly is a "voluntary recall"? The consumer has the option to send the camera back or keep it knowing the risks?

Aug 14, 2012 at 08:59 PM
Lan11
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

Has anyone checked the current Japanese cameras for radiation?
Maybe its time?

Aug 14, 2012 at 09:57 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

This is why it pays not to rush out and buy them as soon as they first hit the streets. Not what Canon needs, not as much as the user not needing this.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

vsg28 wrote:
What exactly is a "voluntary recall"? The consumer has the option to send the camera back or keep it knowing the risks?

Voluntary means the company recalled them without being ordered to by the government.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:32 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

"It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product." So does this mean that if anyone doesn't send it in for the recall fix, then sells it on the B&S, etc., that they're breaking the law? Sounds like it...

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summary/summary.cgi?cid=8722

Ziram - Compound Summary (CID 8722)
Also known as: Zinc dimethyldithiocarbamate, Carbazinc, 137-30-4, Fuclasin, Methazate, Zarlate, Aazira, Cymate, Tsimat

Molecular Formula: C6H12N2S4Zn Molecular Weight: 305.81288 InChIKey: DUBNHZYBDBBJHD-UHFFFAOYSA-L

An industrial fungicide with low mammalian toxicity, although it does possess an irritant capacity for skin and mucous membranes

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

irish-george
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

I don't know what possessed Canon to change from what was working (on all their previous models) to a rubber coating that can cause skin rashes...

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:04 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

rscheffler wrote:
"It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product." So does this mean that if anyone doesn't send it in for the recall fix, then sells it on the B&S, etc., that they're breaking the law? Sounds like it...

yeah, if i had one i'd make sure to keep hold of the recall fix papers from canon if i had one with the bad serial #s otherwise i imagine the resell value will be crazy low

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:16 AM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

I received one of the first T4i bodies on June 15 - they were first announced June 8.

My body was not on the recall list.

I recently bought a second one with the 18-135 mm STM lens that arrived on July 31. That one is also not on the list.

Based on that I would assume that it is fairly safe to buy one now, as they likely pulled all of teh bodies taht were still in teh pipeline or at dealers.

I was a little frustrated at first, assuming that first body would be recalled. But ... no.

Sounds like a vendor issue with the treatment of their product (the rubber for the grip.)

The T4i is a very nice upgrade from the T3i, FWIW.

Michael

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:32 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

Lan11 wrote:
Has anyone checked the current Japanese cameras for radiation?
Maybe its time?

Time for some background information:

Edited on Aug 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM · View previous versions

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:39 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

http://news.consumerreports.org/safety/2010/02/unsafe-by-definition-voluntary-recall-.html

Unsafe by definition: Voluntary recall

Feb 15, 2010 8:00 AM
What it is: Most recalls of defective products are characterized as "voluntary," a confusing term that can lead consumers to believe that the recall is optional. But voluntary recall is just government-speak for a deal that a manufacturer or retailer of a hazardous product has negotiated with the federal agency in charge of overseeing the safety of that product category. Voluntary recall would also seem to indicate that there are “mandatory recalls” that can be issued by the government should manufacturers or retailers refuse to cooperate, but nearly all the recalls announced last
...Show more

Aug 15, 2012 at 02:33 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

Are they Japanese cameras?

EBH

Aug 15, 2012 at 03:47 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

Monito wrote:
Without reference to the person posting...

although if a few specs of plutonium were to settle into the box packed up too close to the wrong sort of incident and you opened it and inhaled them that chart would all go to pot

Aug 15, 2012 at 03:47 AM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

True enough, but I rather suspect that driving across Nevada, or hiking Zion, Bryce, etc. on a blustery day, places you are much greater risk of inhaling that lethal speck of Pu than buying a dozen cameras.

As recalls go, this seems pretty harmless. Periodically washing the grips should (?) forestall just about any conceivable health issue.

Edited on Aug 15, 2012 at 06:24 AM · View previous versions

Aug 15, 2012 at 03:57 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

irish-george wrote:
I don't know what possessed Canon to change from what was working (on all their previous models) to a rubber coating that can cause skin rashes...

Not sure in this case but manufacturers are always trying to improve their materials and processes, for higher yields, better quality, and/or lower costs. Helps improve products but the occasional mistake is inevitable.

Aug 15, 2012 at 04:30 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon EOS Rebel T4i Recalled!

skibum5 wrote:
although if a few specs of plutonium were to settle into the box packed up too close to the wrong sort of incident and you opened it and inhaled them that chart would all go to pot

Probably not actually - Pu has an extremely long half-life (tens of thousands of years), which means it emits very low levels of radiation. You'd need something with a very short half-life, like Po, to get dangerous doses from a few specs.

Aug 15, 2012 at 05:37 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password