Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as we...

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as well as desktop?

Looking for something that works on android, ipad, apple, pc...

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:27 PM
Nozzleforward
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as well as desktop?

Tagging this because I've been looking for this too.

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:29 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as well as desktop?

i'm currently using photolux which I really like but it sucks on my android phone. I have a samsung S3 which is 1280x768 and you would think it would work great but it often centers the image off the screen of the device.

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:33 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as well as desktop?

I'm using the basic Twenty Ten theme on WP 3.4.1, hosted by my hosting provider, and it looks great on my Android II phone.

But my blog isn't image heavy, and isn't intended at a portfolio site.

<Chas>

Aug 14, 2012 at 07:14 PM
jbrandt378
• •
p.1 #5 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as well as desktop?

I use ifolios for my mobile site and love it. I paid the $75.00 to have them set it all up for me and it was up in less than 2 hours.

ifolio

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:45 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as well as desktop?

thanks for the ifolio info. Does it support caching the entire site on an ipad or iphone?

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:55 PM
Wolfr

p.1 #7 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as well as desktop?

I just tweaked my own WP theme to work responsively, a web designer can take care of this for you (my site http://johanronsse.be/ try resizing browser)

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:36 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as well as desktop?

it's not responsiveness that's the problem on mine. It's that the portfolio images and slider show up off the screen on a mobile device.

Aug 26, 2012 at 01:01 PM
Wolfr

p.1 #9 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as well as desktop?

"responsive" in web design terms means a website that adapts to the browser screen width e.g. on a smartphone maybe the layout is 1 column and images are smaller, on a desktop the layout has 2 columns and images are bigger.

Aug 26, 2012 at 08:59 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as well as desktop?

Wolfr wrote:
"responsive" in web design terms means a website that adapts to the browser screen width e.g. on a smartphone maybe the layout is 1 column and images are smaller, on a desktop the layout has 2 columns and images are bigger.

No, responsiveness has to do with performance.

Aug 26, 2012 at 09:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wolfr

p.1 #11 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as well as desktop?

There are two meanings really, you are right that it has to with performance, but what I'm saying is also true.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_Web_Design

If the designer of your original slider took care of making sure it worked on a smart phone the site could be considered responsive.

An example of a responsive slider can be found here: http://aidarchitecten.be/nl/projecten/residentieel/woning-j-u/ Demo of the plugin used: http://flexslider.woothemes.com/

Aug 26, 2012 at 09:11 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as well as desktop?

interesting. Thanks Wolf!

Aug 26, 2012 at 09:16 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as well as desktop?

Do any of the wordpress or other custom web apps allow you to install a local version on an ipad? I want to be able to mirror the site right on the device without needing a web connection.

Aug 28, 2012 at 01:25 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as well as desktop?

Easy enough to do if you build an HTML-only site that does not rely on server-side scripts, but impossible with Wordpress because it's driven out of a server database.

<Chas>

Aug 28, 2012 at 09:55 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as well as desktop?

cwebster wrote:
Easy enough to do if you build an HTML-only site that does not rely on server-side scripts, but impossible with Wordpress because it's driven out of a server database.

<Chas>

but i'm reading that it's possible to install the wordpress server on an ipad...

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:26 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as well as desktop?

jzucker wrote:
but i'm reading that it's possible to install the wordpress server on an ipad...

Where?

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:04 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as well as desktop?

do a google search

Aug 29, 2012 at 01:20 AM
Wolfr

p.1 #18 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as well as desktop?

Neither will work, the iPad does not have an accessible filesystem, if you want to run a local copy of a website that is not database driven it's just opening the html file, if it is database driven you need software to run the server.

For Wordpress that's PHP running on an Apache server with MySQL as database. I use MAMP for this on Mac ( http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html ) but if you're on Windows there is WAMP http://www.wampserver.com/en/

After testing your site locally you would then transfer the database to your host, and FTP the files to your server.

It's not super easy to get started with this!

Sep 01, 2012 at 09:19 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Recommendations for Wordpress themes that do mobile as well as desktop?

Here's how to run wordpress on ipad.

http://wp.tutsplus.com/articles/wordpress-coding-on-your-ipad/

I haven't tried it though. I ended up returning the ipad due to running into too many flash sites that I couldn't view. I ended up buying an Asus Infinity. Screen / resolution not quite as nice but much more versatile. Has a real file system, I can copy files via windows explorer, runs flash, yada-yada.

Sep 01, 2012 at 01:18 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password