Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 ... Achille's Heel ???

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 ... Achille's Heel ???

Thinking about picking up the Tokina 16-28 / 2.8.

Understanding that there is no such thing as a perfect lens, particularly in UWA genre ... what have people been finding to be the biggest IQ problem with this lens ... i.e. distortion, CA, vignetting, weak corners, low contrast, etc.

Filter, size and AF speed issues are already noted ... mostly interested in IQ pitfalls to watch for.

Aug 14, 2012 at 04:58 PM
svassh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 ... Achille's Heel ???

I owned one for about 6 months, bought for a trip to Italy this summer that did not happen. My use was fairly limited but only nit I could find was flare tendency which is already well documented. I did not find it to be noticeably worse than any other lens but with UWA shots there is a larger likely hood you will get some sun in your shot. It is built like a tank and weighs almost as much...

No issues with distortion or vignetting on my 5D II. Only sold it to fund my 5D III purchase. I would likely buy it again over the 16-35L simply because of cost.

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:46 PM
Jay Adeff
• •
p.1 #3 · Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 ... Achille's Heel ???

I bought one to replace the Canon 16-35L (first version). I found the Tokina to be better overall than the Canon, and in fact some online tests indicate that it is superior in many respects to the Canon 16-35L II. I am very happy with the lens and use it mostly for indoor stuff (weddings) and don't have a need for filters or Canon's USM auto focus.

Aug 14, 2012 at 09:54 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 ... Achille's Heel ???

Thanks guys.

Any other glass that would be considered as a superior choice in a UWA zoom for FF?

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:29 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #5 · Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 ... Achille's Heel ???

RustyBug wrote:
Thanks guys.

Any other glass that would be considered as a superior choice in a UWA zoom for FF?

I have read the new Sigma 12-24mm is pretty good but no experience. Definitely slower than the Tokina though. I just bought an older Sigma 15-30mm off ebay but have not received it yet. Not rated much better than average but should work out for me as I don't use UWA often or indoors.

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:12 AM
shoenberg3
• • •
p.1 #6 · Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 ... Achille's Heel ???

I wouldn't say there is any zoom that is clearly superior to the Tokina in image quality. The 16-35mm L II might offer better build and whatnot, but I don't think the image quality would be significantly improved, if at all.

In the Nikon camp though, 14-24mm is a choice that would be superior but of course that would mean forgoing AF.

If you don't want to spend too much, the aforementioned Sigma 15-30mm is a vastly underrated choice. I wouldn't say it's superior to Tokina or the L, but it matches these (perhaps except for flare control) for a fraction of a cost.

Aug 15, 2012 at 03:01 AM
jonorees

p.1 #7 · Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 ... Achille's Heel ???

I bought it and found it awesome on my 5d m3, mainly use it for landscapes there is a bit too much bend for anything else.

Lightroom does a pretty good fix though.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Tom Rouse
• •
p.1 #8 · Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 ... Achille's Heel ???

I purchased the Tokina 16-28 to use on a 1d mark3 and a 7D. I use it for landscapes and I also use it some during senior outdoor sessions. It is a bit heavy, but it serves me well. I plan on using it in an outside wedding I have in Oct. I also hope to add the 5d3 soon, so I'm happy to hear this lens works well with the 5D3

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:54 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 ... Achille's Heel ???

jonorees wrote:
I bought it and found it awesome on my 5d m3, mainly use it for landscapes there is a bit too much bend for anything else.

Lightroom does a pretty good fix though.

"too much bend" ...

Can you clarify?

I realize that UWA is susceptible to curvature without careful orientation, but that's true of any UWA ... or are your referring to something else.

Aug 15, 2012 at 03:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jonorees

p.1 #10 · Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 ... Achille's Heel ???

Nope just the standard that you find with ultra wides. I haven't formally compared but if "feels" like there is more with the Tokina in the twenties than the 24-105.

In saying that I don't have anything between 28 and 70 at the moment so have been using it as my standard lens which for shot where there are lines and faces towards the edge of the frame.

Aug 18, 2012 at 06:13 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 ... Achille's Heel ???

It's a great lens. I use it at weddings, car races, family outings, I'm always happy with the photos. It focuses quickly and accurately, and it was the right price to me.

Aug 19, 2012 at 04:36 PM
MattSepeta
• • •
p.1 #12 · Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 ... Achille's Heel ???

I'm a big fan of mine! Only pitfalls are the crazy front element and screwy AF.

Aug 19, 2012 at 05:37 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 ... Achille's Heel ???

MattSepeta wrote:
Only pitfalls are the crazy front element and screwy AF.

What does that mean, specifically?

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:10 PM
MattSepeta
• • •
p.1 #14 · Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 ... Achille's Heel ???

Crazy front element = Does not accept any sort of normal lens cap or screw on filters because the front element is ridiculously bulbous. Tends to get smudgy more than my normal lenses when it's sitting in my lens bag while working due to this as well.

Screwy af = I had seemed to get some inconsistent focusing when used with my 5DII and often manually focused it in live view, situation depending. However, I just got a 5dIII and it seems to play much much nicer with the newer body, as do all my lenses.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Massimo Foti
• •
p.1 #15 · Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 ... Achille's Heel ???

Regarding AF, I only have brief experience with it on 5DIII. AF isn't blazing fast, but accurate, pretty much the same as Tokina 11-16 on my 7D.

Aug 20, 2012 at 07:15 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #16 · Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 ... Achille's Heel ???

Ive always considered this ff 11-16. I love the 11-16 although it does have af problems and often doesng't get to infinity except at 15-16. Af seems bad.Im usually at infinity anyway af seems fine up close. Flare is a problem. I really love this lens even with it's shortcomings

Aug 20, 2012 at 04:08 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #17 · Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 ... Achille's Heel ???

Contax 17-35 Leica 21 35 probably superior. My cheap 19-35 Tamron gives nice images but sharpness issues. I think it might be damaged. Other brands probably same lens I think 19-35 tokina vivitar.

Aug 20, 2012 at 04:13 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Tokina 16-28 / 2.8 ... Achille's Heel ???

FF 11-16

Leica 21-35 isn't wide enough ... needs to be at least 17 (ff) or wider for consideration.

Contax 17-35 ... Hmmm, I forgot about that one, might have to look into that as an option.

Aug 20, 2012 at 08:06 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password