Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · How to update 40mm 2.8 firmware?
  
 
Mauro Moretti
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to update 40mm 2.8 firmware?


Hi,
I am planning to buy a 40mm 2.8 and I know it will be a new firmware.
How easy is to update the lens? Do I need to send it to Canon?

Thanks,



Aug 14, 2012 at 04:05 AM
Ian.Dobinson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to update 40mm 2.8 firmware?


From the press release (on dpr)

"Market Support
The firmware to address this phenomenon will be available for download in late August, 2012.
Once this firmware is ready, we will make an announcement on our Web site."


So it seems that it's a download ,but is not out yet . So there will be instructions when you download it.



Aug 14, 2012 at 06:55 AM
evertdoorn
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to update 40mm 2.8 firmware?


this might be a silly question, but how do you update the firmware of a lens? This is not possible, right? Or did I miss the usb ports?

I guess the lens has to be sent in to be serviced?



Aug 14, 2012 at 07:11 AM
Ian.Dobinson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to update 40mm 2.8 firmware?


evertdoorn wrote:
this might be a silly question, but how do you update the firmware of a lens? This is not possible, right? Or did I miss the usb ports?

I guess the lens has to be sent in to be serviced?



My guess would be that you would do it mounted to the body. The body would communicate with the lens.

I must say until I read that sentence in the press release I was under the assumption that any updates would have to be done by canon engineers.



Aug 14, 2012 at 07:18 AM
robert61
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to update 40mm 2.8 firmware?


Hopefully Canon has implemented a way using the camera body.


Aug 14, 2012 at 10:51 AM
the888account
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to update 40mm 2.8 firmware?


Assume there is already some sort of 2 way comms bus between a body and a lens ?

- In it most simplist use to request an aperture and to confirm it back to the camera
- Tell the body what lens is fitted

So, there must be a 2 way link in there. Whether that extends to having access to the firmware, I have no idea!



Aug 14, 2012 at 01:51 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Ian.Dobinson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to update 40mm 2.8 firmware?


the888account wrote:
Assume there is already some sort of 2 way comms bus between a body and a lens ?

- In it most simplist use to request an aperture and to confirm it back to the camera
- Tell the body what lens is fitted

So, there must be a 2 way link in there. Whether that extends to having access to the firmware, I have no idea!


yeah there has to be a 2 com for the EF system to work (probably the reason that old sigmas fail on new bodies)
but I do find it sort of strange that they say there will be a download FW for this lens but the mk2 big whites that need a FW update need to be sent in to be done.

Mind you thinking about it I think ive read about other systems like M4/3rds etc having F/W updates done by the user.



Aug 14, 2012 at 02:35 PM
John--G
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to update 40mm 2.8 firmware?


Does that press release refer to a new FW for the lens or the camera body?

FWIW - Canon just released firmware updates for the new super telephoto lenses. 400, 500 and 600. To update those you must send the lens back to Canon as they say there is no way to do it via the camera.

Very disappointing to say the least.






Aug 14, 2012 at 02:35 PM
the888account
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to update 40mm 2.8 firmware?


Can see why they might want to retain the capability to flash some firmwares, purely from a commerical "anti-tamper" point of view.

Giving you access to firmware, in theory can give you the workings of the electronic workings. Assuming, but you can reverse engineer the firware code.

Loosing that on a cheap 40mm vs a several thousand dollar 500mm is probably acceptble commercially.

As a guess...



Aug 14, 2012 at 08:07 PM
CW100
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to update 40mm 2.8 firmware?


John--G wrote:
FWIW - Canon just released firmware updates for the new super telephoto lenses. 400, 500 and 600. To update those you must send the lens back to Canon as they say there is no way to do it via the camera.



I think that's the only way to update a lens firmware





Aug 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Jim Healey
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to update 40mm 2.8 firmware?


Four Thirds lenses are currently updated via the camera (even when the lens & camera are different brands). Canon will hopefully follow their example.

Link






Aug 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM
jamesf99
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to update 40mm 2.8 firmware?


John--G wrote:
Does that press release refer to a new FW for the lens or the camera body?

FWIW - Canon just released firmware updates for the new super telephoto lenses. 400, 500 and 600. To update those you must send the lens back to Canon as they say there is no way to do it via the camera.

Very disappointing to say the least.


My lens has the problem and it showed up in the first 10 days. I hope they better pay shipping, both ways...



Aug 17, 2012 at 03:25 PM





FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password