New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Advice on finding photo ops on road trip

farski
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice on finding photo ops on road trip

I'm taking a couple weeks off to drive around the country with no real plans or agenda. Just want to get out, visit some friends, see some new places, and take photos. I don't mind taking the long way. I'm a little worried that I'll do a bad job finding good photo opportunities though. I don't really want to just take pictures when I happen to pull off the highway; I'd like to take a few hours to go find something awesome. Mostly thinking about landscapes, hence the post here. I'll be starting in southern New England, and likely heading south, then west, to end up in CO or WY, then back to MA.

So with that being said, does anyone have any good advice? Either specific places to plan to hit along the way, or resources, or general ideas? I'm going to try to stick to byways when I can, more for the site seeing than the photography, but I suspect they'll be decent for photos anyway. Other than that, though, I don't really have any plans. Part of this trip will be dictated by timing, and finding good places to stop overnight, but I'm open to all suggestions at this point.

Thanks!

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:22 PM
farski
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice on finding photo ops on road trip

I guess this got moved from Landscapes...? Seemed like this kind of post was ok there, when looking for advice on landsapes https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1140040

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:44 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice on finding photo ops on road trip

Obviously, the moderator felt differently.

Since you're on the internet, you might want to do a bit of research, which should be quite easy to do. With your itinerary in hand you could search for photographs from different towns or regions and see if your fancy is tickled by what you see. For example, I did a quick search on the Blue Ridge Parkway and found hundreds of photos and this link to Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ridge_Parkway

Look at a map, look for national parks and state parks, then do some research. It will be a wonderful introduction to your trip. Planning is half the fun, processing photos at the end is another half and the third half is taking the trip...

Aug 14, 2012 at 02:31 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice on finding photo ops on road trip

I contact the local Chamber of Commerce's and check the State's Travel bureau.
Also do a search for camera clubs and also post a thread on "Member Meetings and Events..."here on FM.
Dan

Aug 14, 2012 at 07:52 AM
Mickey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice on finding photo ops on road trip

I'd recommend a close look at the "landscape" forum paying particular attention to where the great photos were take.

Aug 14, 2012 at 08:36 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.