New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination

Photon
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination

While some of us using the 1DX are waiting and hoping that Canon will update firmware to enable constant illumination of the selected AF point (recognizing the limitations of the new viewfinder hardware with overlay), I thought I'd pass along something that I'm sure others have noticed, but I haven't seen mentioned in print as a tip.

I've programmed one pair of the multi function buttons (one for H orientation, one for V) to switch, while pressed, to spot AF. My default is generally a point with surrounding points. When I need a quick reminder of where my AF is pointed without actually having the camera AF until I know it will do it where I want, I press the M-Fn2 button. This causes the center of my AF point group to flash red. I can then keep pressing the M-Fn2 button if I want that kind of precision selection, or release it and be in surround point mode. Either way, the thumb has not had to stray from the AF-on button, so I'm ready to immediately activate AF and shoot.

I'm sure for birders and most sports shooters this would be a "so what" idea, but for some shooting environments I find it helpful.

Aug 13, 2012 at 08:29 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination

A bit cumbersom but until Canon address this issue it's undoubtedly better than nothing.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Aug 14, 2012 at 03:21 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination

Yakim Peled wrote:
A bit cumbersom but until Canon address this issue it's undoubtedly better than nothing.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

That's my feeling. I'll take what I can get and do the best I can.

Aug 14, 2012 at 04:50 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination

That's good, Jess, and seems adeqate for those seeking a better AF pt. illumination.

On very rare occasions when I need to confirm the AF area selection type and location in poor light, I just flick the joystick in any direction once. The subsequent "neutral" click of the joystic brings the AF pts(s) to my initial registered position. The selected AF points illuminate on both clicks.

I also must say that I have all of the AF pts on direct joystick control.....that has worked very well for me.

Aug 14, 2012 at 05:17 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination

PetKal wrote:
That's good, Jess, and seems adeqate for those seeking a better AF pt. illumination.

On very rare occasions when I need to confirm the AF area selection type and location in poor light, I just flick the joystick in any direction once. The subsequent "neutral" click of the joystic brings the AF pts(s) to my initial registered position. The selected AF points illuminate on both clicks.

I also must say that I have all of the AF pts on direct joystick control.....that has worked very well for me.

Ever since the 1D Mk III gave the option, I've used direct selection via joystick, and neutral click (central push) to move to center position and back. A nice thing about the 1DX is that I could effectively add a third point. I use M-Fn2 button to go to registered point and back, and joystick click to go to center point and back. Then by starting with my third point of choice, I can move among those three with a single push. Of course, there are many situations where I simply lever the joy to move the point wherever it needs to go. Slower, but any one of the points or zones can be needed at times.

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:57 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination

PetKal wrote:

+1

I have found it one of the best features Canon has implemented in the past years. It's a pity though that the first time they put joystic in the grip is in the 5D3 and 1D X.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Aug 15, 2012 at 06:02 AM
jstntym
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination

Yakim Peled wrote:

+1 I have found it one of the best features Canon has implemented in the past years. It's a pity though that the first time they put joystic in the grip is in the 5D3 and 1D X.
Happy shooting,
Yakim.

It hasn't been a long time but I think my 5D MkII that I recently sold had a joystick also..at least I think it did! Maybe the 7D did too then.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:05 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination

Wow! Stuff like this sent me over to Nikon. The D800's selected AF point (and, to a lesser extent, the entire focus screen) will flash in the VF when I half press the shutter or the AF on switch. I was annoyed with how brief this AF box illumination is and the very faint flash viewed from the lens but then D800 is a "thoughtful" camera whilst the D4 (and 1Dx) is an action camera.

But this isn't half so good as the D4 which just shows the selected AF point in red (for about 5+ seconds) whenever the camera is turned on, half press of the shutter or AF button or move a joystick. The D4 will also, reliably (manual or AF) focus in such dim light I can't quite see the subject with and with wide open super speed lenses too.

You Canon owners put up with a lot (I know I'm a Canon owner p-with a 200mm F2.0 which must be sent in for repair so as to focus with a camera I don't own-to preserve it's resale value). Nope, I won't be buying a 1Dx!

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination

jstntym wrote:
It hasn't been a long time but I think my 5D MkII that I recently sold had a joystick also..at least I think it did! Maybe the 7D did too then.

Yes, the 5D II has a joystick, but the 1D series with built in vertical grips did not have a second joystick for use in that orientation, until the 1DX added it. I don't have a grip for my 5DII, but I think that also lacked an additional joystick, whereas the grip for the 5DIII, I think, has it.

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination

The grip of the 5D3 is also the first to have a joystic. It's about time. Nikon, Minolta and Sony users have it for years.

Happy shooting,
Yakim

Aug 19, 2012 at 03:30 AM
willis
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination

The 7D shares this weakness with the 1DX/5DIII. Despite the biggest firmware revision Canon has ever attempted, no fix has been implemented on the 7D. This doesn't seem to bode well for a 1DX/5DIII fix either.

Aug 19, 2012 at 05:23 AM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination

SoundHound wrote:
Wow! Stuff like this sent me over to Nikon. The D800's selected AF point (and, to a lesser extent, the entire focus screen) will flash in the VF when I half press the shutter or the AF on switch. I was annoyed with how brief this AF box illumination is and the very faint flash viewed from the lens but then D800 is a "thoughtful" camera whilst the D4 (and 1Dx) is an action camera.

But this isn't half so good as the D4 which just shows the selected AF point in red (for about 5+ seconds) whenever the camera is
...Show more

No AF point illumination is what kept you away? I guess you deserve the Nikon then.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination

My guess is it will throw off the light meter, at least in certain modes, and probably also the color tracking/face recognition feature. I've set it up with Jess's suggestion above and so far it has been good enough. We'll see after much more use..

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Chris Anderson
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination

waiting on a firmware update as well

Aug 20, 2012 at 02:10 PM
ruhikant
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination

There is another way to see the AF point using DOF button posted in DPR.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&thread=42389856

I just did in my 5D3 and it works well.

Copy and Paste from the DPR thread:

Before you can set you camera to do this, you must first make sure that Spot AF is checked as one of the registered AF Area selection modes!

1: Press the Q menu button
2: highlight Custom Controls and pres SET
3: scroll down to DOF Preview button and press SET

4: scroll over to the "AF" box (at the top it should say: Switch to registered AF func.)
5: Press INFO button
6: Check mark: AF area selection mode
7: Now highlight "AF area selection mode" and press SET
8: Select Spot AF (the left most one)

Done

Sep 06, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination

ruhikant wrote:
There is another way to see the AF point using DOF button posted in DPR.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&thread=42389856

I just did in my 5D3 and it works well.

Copy and Paste from the DPR thread:

Before you can set you camera to do this, you must first make sure that Spot AF is checked as one of the registered AF Area selection modes!

1: Press the Q menu button
2: highlight Custom Controls and pres SET
3: scroll down to DOF Preview button and press SET

4: scroll over to the "AF" box (at the top it should say: Switch to registered AF func.)
5: Press INFO button
6: Check mark:
...Show more
I've actually had it set up that way from the start. At this time, on the 1DX I have each MF button and the * button set to activate a different AF point, and with differences in AF area as well (spot, zone, etc.). I also use different choices for vertical and horizontal orientation. This gives me immediate access to the AF points that I most use for action, and for other points I use the joystick. It's still not ideal in terms of illumination, because the red is just a flash, not continuous as in the 1D4 and earlier.

Sep 06, 2012 at 11:58 AM
pompo
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination

plus the red is too dang bright that you cant almost tell when is lit up!

Sep 06, 2012 at 12:01 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.