Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Good, compact 300mm f/4 lens?

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Good, compact 300mm f/4 lens?

Bif, is the AF-D newer than the AF-II? Is it much better?

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:03 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Good, compact 300mm f/4 lens?

Nice pictures BIF, but the Zuiko is actually significantly bigger than the Pentax M* and A*, and the Zuiko is f/4.5 whereas the Pentax is f/4. Normally Zuikos are small marvels, but not in this case. It is actually only a little smaller than the Canon nFD 300 f/4 and given that it is a slower lens the small improvement in size isn't very impressive. Here are the relevant sizes weight: Pentax 825g, Zuiko 1000g, Canon 1060g: length: Pentax 13.2 cm, Zuiko 18.1 cm, Canon 20.7 cm.

Bifurcator wrote:
Lightest Weight, Highest Quality, 300mm, In this case that spells Zuiko.

I have the Canon FDn 4.0L and a bunch of other 300's too. The 300/4.0L has a no CA WO where the Zuiko has some at it's widest aperture. The Zuiko renders colors much richer and more true to the scene than the FDn 300/4.0L though. And of course the Zuiko is very compact and light weight. I think the Zuiko the lightest most compact 300 I own which still has a tripod collar on it. Removing the tripod collar lightens it up even more. The Zuiko is
...Show more

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:34 PM
CalW
• • • •
p.3 #3 · Good, compact 300mm f/4 lens?

Thank You formula4speed (the OP) and Thank You to all who have participated here. Very interesting, and I have learned a lot. But one of the things I have learned is that 300mm is a bit too greedy for me - just at the edge of what my old eyes and hands can reasonably MF with the OM-D. So I have started a similar thread for 200mm lenses. I hope that this brings no offense to anyone, and that you will consider participating in that thread as well!

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:58 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · Good, compact 300mm f/4 lens?

Note the Nikkor 300/4.5 EDIF comes in at 20cm and 990g, so lighter than the Zuiko, but a little longer.

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · Good, compact 300mm f/4 lens?

CalW wrote:
Thank You formula4speed (the OP) and Thank You to all who have participated here. Very interesting, and I have learned a lot. But one of the things I have learned is that 300mm is a bit too greedy for me - just at the edge of what my old eyes and hands can reasonably MF with the OM-D. So I have started a similar thread for 200mm lenses. I hope that this brings no offense to anyone, and that you will consider participating in that thread as well!

Dude, I'm so offended! I mean: Sooooo offended!!!

hehe...

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
It's interesting that the Zuiko isn't actually as light as it seems when handled. I actually just put mine on my triple-beam just to double-check. Maybe it's because the weight is somewhat toward the rear and overall evenly balanced where as so many others are front-heavy.

Oh well, Good to know anyway! Thanks Steve!

Aug 17, 2012 at 07:12 PM
pingflood
• • •
p.3 #6 · Good, compact 300mm f/4 lens?

Well, I will be picking up an FD 300/4L within the next couple of weeks from a local seller, so will be interesting to see how it performs on the E-M5.

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM
roboticspro
• • •
p.3 #7 · Good, compact 300mm f/4 lens?

Hi,

Pingflood: Here you go...FD 300mm f4L at f4 on the OM-D

Edd

Edited on Sep 20, 2012 at 03:24 PM · View previous versions

Aug 18, 2012 at 04:58 PM
roboticspro
• • •
p.3 #8 · Good, compact 300mm f/4 lens?

And a few more...the FD 300mm f4L gives up nothing to the EF 300mm f4L in image quality. You do lose AF, and MFD as the FD is 10 feet, while the EF IS L is 4.9 feet...a huge difference if you are stalking small insects, hummingbirds, ect.

Edd

Aug 18, 2012 at 05:54 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password