Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Where to sell a non-working D700

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where to sell a non-working D700

My D700 got nailed by a large wave at the ocean last year. Nikon says it's too expensive to repair. Now that I have my D800 (with accident insurance), I guess I need to take the old D700 off of mantle above the fireplace and see what I can get for it.

Any ideas on who would be willing to buy it? Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing. There is no sense in just letting it sit around. I had flushed it out immediately afterwards and dried it, so there is no visible corrosion, but it definitely doesn't power up anymore. I know it can't be worth much, but something is better than nothing.

Thanks,

Jim

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where to sell a non-working D700

off topic: what sort of cost are you looking at accident insurance wise? Always wondered. (and had though perhaps renters might take care of it... apparently not)

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:21 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where to sell a non-working D700

I bought the add on accidental coverage, there are a few different companies that do that, you purchase it along with your camera. I think it was like $400 for the D800. I had done that for the D700, but didn't get the accidental policy, just the one that extends the warranty as it was $100 cheaper...

Jim

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:39 AM
niXer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where to sell a non-working D700

eBay is your best bet, someone would buy it for parts maybe even KEH.

Aug 14, 2012 at 02:10 AM
jonrock
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where to sell a non-working D700

Ebay is probably your best bet. There are quite a few cameras and senses sold there in as-is condition for parts. You would be surprised how much older outdated laptops sell there since they seem to be mainly stripped down for parts.

Aug 14, 2012 at 03:17 AM
mbpautz762
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where to sell a non-working D700

I'll take a donation! I've always wanted to disassemble a dslr and reassemble it without worrying about destroying it accidentally. I actually would pay, I just can't afford much. PM me if interested!

Aug 14, 2012 at 03:23 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where to sell a non-working D700

niXer wrote:
eBay is your best bet, someone would buy it for parts maybe even KEH.

Thanks you guys, I will check Ebay out and see.

Jim

Aug 14, 2012 at 09:19 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where to sell a non-working D700

mbpautz762 wrote:
I'll take a donation! I've always wanted to disassemble a dslr and reassemble it without worrying about destroying it accidentally. I actually would pay, I just can't afford much. PM me if interested!

Ha ha... well... I will have to see... if nothing else, I may just make it into a monument of my stupidness...

Jim

Aug 14, 2012 at 09:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where to sell a non-working D700

ebay. My water damaged 8008s sat in the closet for years and then I put it on ebay as-is with full disclosure. Got more than I expected for sure considering it was an older electronic film body and working ones weren't selling for much anyway.

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM
CanonGolfGuy
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Where to sell a non-working D700

HERE is a water damaged 5D Mark II that went for almost $1000. Put it on eBay, you'll get a decent amount still.

Aug 14, 2012 at 03:23 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Where to sell a non-working D700

CanonGolfGuy wrote:
HERE is a water damaged 5D Mark II that went for almost $1000. Put it on eBay, you'll get a decent amount still.

Wow! That's sweet. Thanks for that reference.

Jim

Aug 14, 2012 at 05:53 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Where to sell a non-working D700

Be sure to state that it was flooded with salt water. Salt water is extremely damaging to electronics, as you know.

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:11 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Where to sell a non-working D700

Salt Water Damage is THE worst of all since even parts like small screws and buttons might be ruined and unusable. So the value of the cameras as a parts camera is greatly reduced to almost nothing. Most likely all boards are ruined and obviously anything made of metal. Some things might be usable but its impossible to know without thoroughly disassembling them camera first.

Even a very brief spraying with salt water can do a whole lot of damage.

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:19 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Where to sell a non-working D700

Regardless of how severe the damage, if you post it on eBay with an opening bid of $1 and no reserve, there are enough dumb people out there you may actually get close to the price of a new camera... seriously.

Aug 15, 2012 at 09:05 PM
baabbott
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Where to sell a non-working D700

I saw where someone bored a hole in the back of a camera and installed a light socket and cheap lens and made a cool looking lamp.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:40 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Where to sell a non-working D700

baabbott wrote:
I saw where someone bored a hole in the back of a camera and installed a light socket and cheap lens and made a cool looking lamp.

+1!

14-24 would make perfect adjustable reading lamp lens, shades included! Now you gave me a worm to my brain that i should do it with some of my camera even if it works

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:21 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password