Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

Nozzleforward
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

I have some dust/lint type stuff that shows up in the viewfinder on my 5D, I k.ow the mirror and sensor are clean, so I'm figuring it has to be on the prism or in the viewfinder itself. I've found some instructions on how to pull the focus screen and some screws to get access to the bottom of the prism, and it doesn't look too hard. But my question is, have any of you guys done this yourself? My local camera repair shop says they can do it for $60 along with a sensor cleaning, but my camera doesn't need a sensor cleaning. I'd almost rather send it to CPS, probably cost about the same with shipping.

Thoughts?

Aug 13, 2012 at 08:05 PM
rwalshphoto

p.1 #2 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

I had a similar issue with my 5Dc with dust on the prism side of the focusing screen. I think I paid $50 for a "chamber" cleaning and they removed the screen and cleaned the prism, focusing screen, mirror and sensor. Everything was spotless when I got it back, worked perfect. It was well worth the $50 over trying to do it myself and probably end up with more dust then I started with.

Aug 13, 2012 at 08:12 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

Did you try just blowing the heck out of it with a rocket blower? I have done that a couple of times for larger annoying dusts, and they usually come out. I don't know why it works, or if it should, just that it has. Maybe it's MAGIC.

Aug 13, 2012 at 08:22 PM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #4 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

Yeah, I've tried the blower, made no impact. That's what makes me think its in the prism area...

Aug 13, 2012 at 08:28 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

I would first drop the focusing screen (it is user changable) and clean the focusing screen and the superimposition screen between the focusing screen and pentaprism. I would be very careful doing this because an easy to push dust behind the SI screen which will require you to drop the focusing screen holder. I used to do wet cleans on that are area on my 5D. I never trusted a blower to not push something out of reach.

Aug 13, 2012 at 08:53 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

I've done it and having said that I'd send it off. If you bugger up the AF shims or focusing screens (and they will scratch if you look at them really hard) it becomes a much bigger repair. Plus accessing the focusing area and prism from below doesn't get you into the viewfinder area at all, that's a separate disassembly.

I can say I wouldn't do it for $60. That's a really good price.

Aug 13, 2012 at 08:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #7 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

You've all thoroughly convinced me to leave it alone... I'll let someone else do the work. Thanks for saving me future anguish and expense!

Aug 13, 2012 at 08:58 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

mco_970 wrote:
Did you try just blowing the heck out of it with a rocket blower? I have done that a couple of times for larger annoying dusts, and they usually come out. I don't know why it works, or if it should, just that it has. Maybe it's MAGIC.

In my experience, blowing with a rocket blower is the cause of much of this dust, not the solution. (I don't know why it worked for you, but I'm glad it did. I'd just urge caution for others.)

This dust is annoying, but I just ignore it and I barely notice it most of the time.

Dan

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:04 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

gdanmitchell wrote:
In my experience, blowing with a rocket blower is the cause of much of this dust, not the solution. (I don't know why it worked for you, but I'm glad it did. I'd just urge caution for others.)

This dust is annoying, but I just ignore it and I barely notice it most of the time.

Dan

Yeah, I know. But if you are gonna send it to Canon for cleaning if it doesn't work anyway, it's worth a try.

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:11 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

Nozzleforward wrote:
You've all thoroughly convinced me to leave it alone... I'll let someone else do the work.

If you haven't already checked with Photo-Tronics downtown (Dexter Ave. N., next door to Glazer's rental department) I can highly recommend them. Fast turnaround, local folks, and very good at what they do.

http://www.photo-tronics.com/

(If the camera is still under warranty, then I'd suggest Canon Service just to be safe.)

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:30 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

For those brave enough for a DYI:

http://www.ascent-design.com/photo/Clean5D/

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:39 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

dcains wrote:
For those brave enough for a DYI:

http://www.ascent-design.com/photo/Clean5D/

I have done it and it not that bad. But I would at least to steps 1 and 2 and clean the focusing screen and the back of the SI plate. Those areas are designed to be user accessible.

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:51 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password