Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

Nozzleforward
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

I have some dust/lint type stuff that shows up in the viewfinder on my 5D, I k.ow the mirror and sensor are clean, so I'm figuring it has to be on the prism or in the viewfinder itself. I've found some instructions on how to pull the focus screen and some screws to get access to the bottom of the prism, and it doesn't look too hard. But my question is, have any of you guys done this yourself? My local camera repair shop says they can do it for $60 along with a sensor cleaning, but my camera doesn't need a sensor cleaning. I'd almost rather send it to CPS, probably cost about the same with shipping.

Thoughts?

Aug 13, 2012 at 03:02 PM
WestFalcon
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

I would pay the $60 and let them do it but I'm not the adventurous type

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Papathanassiou
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

I would not bother, you know where it is so I would leave well alone! At least till you need a sensor clean.

Papa.

Aug 16, 2012 at 03:55 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

For the most part, I have decided to just live with the VF/pentaprism dust. It only annoys me when I let it. ;-)

If it eventually gets to be thoroughly disgusting - it is merely somewhat disgusting right now - I would likely regard $60 as a small cost for letting someone else mess with it.

Dan

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

The soft blurry spots visible through the VF are oil stains, dirt or dust bunnies on the under side of the focusing screen. The sharply focused particles are either on the upper side of the screen, on the SI plate or the bottom of the pentaprism. It's easy to remove the screen and blow it off. However, if you try to clean off any stubborn particles it is likely you will make it worse or ruin the screen (unless you know what you are doing). Of course, at that point you buy a new screen for $35 and it's all clean and scratch free. Now if you need to clean the SI plate or pentaprism, that is a lot harder. The SI plate is even more delicate than the focusing screen and awkward to remove and replace.

And, yes, I have cleaned my 5D VF system and what a pain in the arse. Mine had particles in the mirror chamber I suspect were flocking overspray and I had to clean the entire mirror chamber to keep the focusing screen from getting dirty again a day later (no lens changes). Once I did that it rarely had problems. I've decided to just leave it alone from now on unless utterly terrible...

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:40 PM
elader
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

I had tried to clean the dust in the prism (was NOT on the screen) and mucked it up terribly. I lat canon do it.

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:18 AM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ever clean dust out of the 5D viewfinder/prism?

What I have are are sharp (in focus) bits of fiber / lint looking stuff, which is what caused me to think it was on the prism. I'm taking it to a camera shop on Monday to have them give it a go, I just imagine screwing it up myself somehow.

Aug 17, 2012 at 09:04 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.