Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

RCicala
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

In case anybody wants to see what it looks like. Canon's version of converting photo primes to Cinema primes. Very nicely done and of interest to video folks. As best I can tell it's 24 f/1.4 optics inside the housing.

Aug 13, 2012 at 07:32 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #2 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

Looks like a beauty. Is this something Canon does for a lot of their lenses?

Aug 13, 2012 at 07:51 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

vsg28 wrote:
Looks like a beauty. Is this something Canon does for a lot of their lenses?

They've just started this, I think after having watched Zeiss make a fortune changing ZF and ZE to CP.2s. Canon's going to do the 50mm f/1.2 and 85 f/1.2 next, not sure after that. I would suspect the 14mm and 135mm would get a lot of attention, too.

Aug 13, 2012 at 08:55 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #4 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

Very interesting. How much did it cost to get this done on the 24mm?

Aug 13, 2012 at 08:56 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

vsg28 wrote:

This is how Canon sells them...

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:01 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

What are the scales for?

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:04 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #7 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

molson wrote:
This is how Canon sells them...

Ok I thought this was more of a need-basis conversion and not their cine prime collection. Never mind then, I have the catalogue shipped with my CPS membership packet.

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:07 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

vsg28 wrote:

It's not a conversion, it's a factory product made using some existing parts and some new parts. It's all part of Canon's foray into cinematography-specific cameras like the C-300, but of course also works on other EOS-mount bodies.

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:08 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

jerrykur wrote:
What are the scales for?

For the focus puller to reference when setting follow-focus during a shot, among other things.

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:10 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

jerrykur wrote:
What are the scales for?

They facilitate pulling focus while shooting. Lenses like this are never used in autofocus (do they even have AF?)

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

From B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/844732-REG/Canon_6569B001_CN_E_24mm_T1_5_L.html

And it is only a modest $5,220 new.

Beautiful lens!

FWIW, I am **really** hoping that the "entry level" full frame they announce this fall is a video-centric camera.

It would be great to start to see some "trickle down" from the C300/EOS C in terms of image offloading from the sensor (with Dual Digic 5 maybe?), better downsampling, additional codecs (C Log anyone?), 10 or 12 bit color, etc.

Eventually it will get there at a lower price point. I know some things are cost prohibitive from a hardware standpoint. And Canon usually carefully separates what they enable in formware on the lower end.

Lets hope ....

Michael

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:46 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

So what are the benefits, or what specifically has to change for a cine lens? Is it just the focusing?

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:48 PM
bluetsunami
• • •
p.1 #13 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

andyjaggy82 wrote:
So what are the benefits, or what specifically has to change for a cine lens? Is it just the focusing?

Definitely the housing which facilitates a better focusing mechanism I believe, and the markings. These Canon Cine lenses seem to have more aperture blades too.

Edited on Aug 13, 2012 at 10:53 PM · View previous versions

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:51 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

andyjaggy82 wrote:

Optics sound like the 24L but all the mechanics will be reworked - manual focus and aperture control (variable rather than part stops etc)

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM
dshipley
• •
p.1 #15 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

andyjaggy82 wrote:

External gears on the housing for focus and aperture control, manual aperture control on the lens, better manual focusing (precision, more detailed distance scales), smooth (non-clicking) aperture transitions, rated in t-stops, and I'd also imagine there won't be any focus breathing as well.

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:47 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

Now you get two red rings .

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:35 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

As everyone said on the changes. Also the focus ring rotates about 200 degrees from near to far, making precise focus easier when pulling focus, and the distance scales are very accurate. If you set focus at 12 feet, 12 feet is exactly what's in focus.

The coatings on the elements are a bit different, giving it a slightly warmer look, which is more in line with most Cine lenses. Not of particular interest for photographers, but I've used the CP.2 Macro lenses several times just for the absolute joy of manually focusing so accurately. It's really amazing to feel the difference in the focus ring. Not that I'd pay $5k out of my pocket for one, since I don't shoot video.

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:10 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

$5250 is a bargain compared to the Cine lenses for the C300, which are in the $50K range, but still 2.5-3x more than I would pay for a 24mm since I have little interest in video.

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:14 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

dshipley wrote:
External gears on the housing for focus and aperture control, manual aperture control on the lens, better manual focusing (precision, more detailed distance scales), smooth (non-clicking) aperture transitions, rated in t-stops, and I'd also imagine there won't be any focus breathing as well.

wouldn't it need a new optical design to stop focus breathing? and if it doesn't have that isn't $3000 extra a bit gigantic profit margin just for the new housing even with limited quanities?

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:23 AM
dirb9
• • •
p.1 #20 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

andyjaggy82 wrote:

The aperture is also calibrated in t stops, which take into account that some light is lost due to being absorbed/reflected by the glass. F stops are simply the size of the entrance pupil compared to the focal length.

Aug 14, 2012 at 02:23 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password