New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

onegreatcity
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

Is anyone using this lens on a Canon body? I'd be curious as to results, the adaptor(s) being used and which body it's mated with as I currently shoot with a 1Diii. Thanks!
-Cam

Aug 13, 2012 at 01:44 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

onegreatcity wrote:
Is anyone using this lens on a Canon body? I'd be curious as to results, the adaptor(s) being used and which body it's mated with as I currently shoot with a 1Diii.

It's a good lens, it doesn't need an adapter since ZE lenses mount directly, and they mate with all EOS bodies, and it is only 360 % of the price of the Canon 35 mm f/2.0, but less expensive than the Canon 35 mm f/1.4 L.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=zeiss+ze+distagon+35mm&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

Edited on Aug 13, 2012 at 01:53 PM · View previous versions

Aug 13, 2012 at 01:50 PM
bluetsunami
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

As said the ZE is native so you get to electronically control the aperture as you would any Canon lens

You can also adapt the ZF version if you want a physical aperture ring. Trade off being you lose electronic control over the aperture.

Aug 13, 2012 at 01:53 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

I use both the Zeiss ZE 35/2 and the Zeiss ZE 35/1,4 lenses. The ZE version is a better option if you gonna use it only on Canon bodies. I use it with 1D3, 1D4 and 1Ds3 bodies

Aug 13, 2012 at 01:56 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

Monito wrote:
It's a good lens, it doesn't need an adapter since ZE lenses mount directly, and they mate with all EOS bodies, and it is only 360 % of the price of the Canon 35 mm f/2.0, but less expensive than the Canon 35 mm f/1.4 L.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=zeiss+ze+distagon+35mm&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

I was inquiring about the ZF version. A used one is available locally at a price significantly less than new stock at B & H.

Aug 13, 2012 at 01:57 PM
bpark42
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

I have used the 35/2 ZF fairly extensively on Canon bodies, primarily the 5D2. I used it on a 7D on occasion as well where it performed well, though lateral CA's become more evident due to the higher pixel density. I don't recall if I ever used it on my 1d3. I'm sure it would work fine with the appropriate focusing screen.

I used a fotodiox pro adapter, though any decent adapter should work just fine. I'm not sure what other kind of commentary you are expecting regarding results. In terms of image quality, it performs the same as the ZE version would.

By the way, this question might get more attention in the alt forum

Example from the 5D2 + ZF 35/2:

Untitled by bpark_42, on Flickr

Aug 13, 2012 at 01:57 PM
bluetsunami
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

onegreatcity wrote:
I was inquiring about the ZF version. A used one is available locally at a price significantly less than new stock at B & H.

I'd get it if you're sensitive to the price and don't mind stopping down manually

Aug 13, 2012 at 02:11 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ZE version gives both focus confirmation and auto aperture. They are certainly conveniences.

Aug 13, 2012 at 02:38 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the ZE version gives both focus confirmation and auto aperture. They are certainly conveniences.

Exactly! Someone would have to get an amazing deal otherwise, probably below $700 to make it worthwhile to put up with the inconvenience of a Nikon mount, plus the cost of an adapter. Used ZE versions can be found at or below $900.

Aug 13, 2012 at 03:07 PM
Andy Keller
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

Buy the ZF, then sell it and buy a ZE.

Aug 13, 2012 at 03:24 PM
bpark42
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

Gunzorro wrote:
Exactly! Someone would have to get an amazing deal otherwise, probably below $700 to make it worthwhile to put up with the inconvenience of a Nikon mount, plus the cost of an adapter. Used ZE versions can be found at or below $900.

That's about right. I think I paid $640 or so for mine. Though I wanted to be able to use the lens on m4/3 and NEX as well, so I consider the aperture ring a plus, not a minus. Lack of AF confirmation was a non-issue for me.

Aug 13, 2012 at 03:25 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

And those are the best reasons to buy either a ZF.1 or ZF.2 lens for a Canon owner!

Aug 13, 2012 at 03:39 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

Jeff Nolten wrote:

And also exif data. It's exactly like using a Canon MF lens. Like the Canon TS-E lenses.

"The manually focusable ZE lenses (for EF mount) feature electronic shutter control and additional electronic contacts to the camera. All existing exposure programs (P, AV, TV, M) and the AF confirmation function of the camera are supported; lens information (focal length and speed) is passed on to the camera."

Aug 13, 2012 at 03:49 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

Thanks everyone. I totally hear you on the conveniences afforded by the ZE version but for whatever reason this ZF version is not selling so the price keeps dropping and I'm starting to make rationalizations/justifications. Just need some Nikon shooter to step up and remove this distraction and I'll be fine. Maybe I should buy it and find a trade for the ZE. Hmmm...more rationalizations.

Aug 13, 2012 at 04:06 PM
Lan11
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

I used ZE 35/2, 50M and 85. All were underexposing on Canon bodies about 1 stop. Focus confirmation light was imprecise. The front lens cups didn’t stay on the lens. For the price the resolution was disappointing. The weight and finish makes it easy to drop the lenses. The colour palette is warmer than Canons. The underexposure problem wasn’t fixable. The 50M with the most visible problem was replaced with optically inferior sample. The 85 was unusable fully open and poor at infinity focus. But, they’re very well made with excellent materials. I didn’t find anything special about the lenses and I parted with them without regrets.

Aug 16, 2012 at 08:01 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

I shoot both Nikon and Canon and use the 35/2 ZF lens on my Canon 5D. Since I am used to the manual aperture ring it is not a problem for me. Stopped down metering and MF is a minor annoyance. I use the photodiox adapters. One has the chip that can be programmed to provide EXIF data and autofocus confirmation.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy the lens if you can get a good deal.

Aug 16, 2012 at 08:35 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

Lan11 wrote:
I used ZE 35/2, 50M and 85. All were underexposing on Canon bodies about 1 stop. Focus confirmation light was imprecise. The front lens cups didn’t stay on the lens. For the price the resolution was disappointing. The weight and finish makes it easy to drop the lenses. The colour palette is warmer than Canons. The underexposure problem wasn’t fixable. The 50M with the most visible problem was replaced with optically inferior sample. The 85 was unusable fully open and poor at infinity focus. But, they’re very well made with excellent materials. I didn’t find anything special about the lenses
...Show more

I own all those ZE lenses. Not one of them underexpose on my 3 Canon bodies. And those lenses don't have any focus confirmation light. It's the camera you have to blame for your imprecise focus confirmation light

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:15 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

Lan11 wrote:
I used ZE 35/2, 50M and 85. All were underexposing on Canon bodies about 1 stop. Focus confirmation light was imprecise. The front lens cups didn’t stay on the lens. For the price the resolution was disappointing. The weight and finish makes it easy to drop the lenses. The colour palette is warmer than Canons. The underexposure problem wasn’t fixable. The 50M with the most visible problem was replaced with optically inferior sample. The 85 was unusable fully open and poor at infinity focus. But, they’re very well made with excellent materials. I didn’t find anything special about the lenses
...Show more

Huh? Not my experience at all, nor have I read anything like this.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:43 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

Lan11 wrote:
...Show more

Lenses don't underexpose, photographers do...

I've had none of these issues with the ZE 50mm f1.4 or my current ZE 35 mm f2

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:35 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/2.0 ZF

Thanks for the additional thoughts. My temptation was removed as the lens did sell locally for a fairly low price, < $600 CDN.

Aug 16, 2012 at 02:37 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.