Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A quick note on those looking for OM-D batteries

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · A quick note on those looking for OM-D batteries

I bought the Wasabi Power batteries on Amazon as replacements since the OEM batteries have been harder to find than almost anything in the world. The description says the battery meter in the camera doesn't work with them, but I have found that they do (and others have reported the same). They look essentially the same as the OEM. They're rated higher, but feel ever so slightly lighter, so who knows on that front.

Seem good so far (went through one cycle with one, and on first cycle with second battery), so if anyone is looking for them, I got two batteries and a charger, including car adapter for $27 (the OEM charger won't work with them, but their charger will charge the OEM battery, and it's a folding wall plug charger with no cord.) Not bad.

Aug 13, 2012 at 03:22 PM
NikkorAIS
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #2 · A quick note on those looking for OM-D batteries

Thats great news , I need a couple of extra batterys..

Thanks for the info..

Gregory

Aug 13, 2012 at 03:52 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · A quick note on those looking for OM-D batteries

I bought two extra OEM ones recently from a PA seller.

Aug 13, 2012 at 03:56 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · A quick note on those looking for OM-D batteries

thanks, i'll check these out!

Aug 13, 2012 at 05:48 PM
JeffG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · A quick note on those looking for OM-D batteries

FlyPenFly wrote:
I bought two extra OEM ones recently from a PA seller.

yes and your salesman was a unicorn. clearly.

i ordered http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170836609401 based on recommendations from another photographer. should be here this week.

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:18 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · A quick note on those looking for OM-D batteries

Someone posted it here some time ago, do a search.

After some bad experiences with even the best aftermarket batteries in mildly cold weather and the corruption they caused and random hangups, I just don't trust non-oem batteries. Even OEM batteries are sometimes unreliable.

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · A quick note on those looking for OM-D batteries

I've had good experiences with aftermarket batteries. I used Lenmar batteries in my 1Ds II, and they performed wonderfully for years. I had some generic batteries for my original Canon DRebel too, and they worked beautifully for 3-4 years of heavy use traveling all over the place. As long as you don't buy complete crap, they're ok. The hard part is weeding out the good from the complete crap. The reviews on the ones I got are very good, but of course the proof will be if they are still performing well in a few years. I don't need extra batteries often, as I rarely shoot through an entire battery in a day. (I even shot the entire Memorial tournament pro am on a single battery in my E-M5, and that was over 800 shots).

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:42 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · A quick note on those looking for OM-D batteries

Batteries are just one of those things like seeing 3D or not that people will endlessly argue about.

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:53 AM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · A quick note on those looking for OM-D batteries

These Wasabi batteries are rated at 1300 mAh. FWIW the ones I bought on eBay are rated at 1900 mAh and they work and fit perfectly on the camera, but one of them got stuck in the battery grip (just a tad too big/fat) - so I will only use the OEM battery for the battery grip. All the 4 generic batteries that I have work fine on the camera.

Aug 14, 2012 at 02:13 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · A quick note on those looking for OM-D batteries

Some people have ripped open and studied the aftermarket batteries and predictably they're not labeled accurately.

Aug 14, 2012 at 02:39 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #11 · A quick note on those looking for OM-D batteries

Hah, great minds think alike. I've got 2x Wasabi incoming also. I had a good experience with my Wasabi Canon battery, so figured I'd stay with what worked.

Aug 14, 2012 at 03:19 AM
you2
• • •
p.1 #12 · A quick note on those looking for OM-D batteries

Here is a link to a guy who disassembled the batteries from ebay (link above). The summary is only 1020mah but otherwise reasonable quality:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/four-thirds-standard-4-3-m43/1086996-omd-em5-spare-battery-get-3.html#post7913211

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:51 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password