Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · What is Yellowstone like in October?

twgphotog

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What is Yellowstone like in October?

I usually make an annual trip to Yellowstone during the first couple of weeks in September but this year it looks like I will not be able to make it there until the first week in October. My primary purpose is to shoot wildlife, specifically bears, bison, pronghorn, elk, wolves, and moose. I was hoping that some of my fellow FM’er could provide me with general ideas on what to expect that time of year (i.e. what is the general weather conditions? Is there usually snow on the ground? Have the leaves all fallen? Are the bears still around or have they started hibernating? Etc…). I would greatly appreciate hearing your thoughts about visiting the park in October.

Thanks so much!

Travis

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What is Yellowstone like in October?

1. Unless the weather goes unseasonally cold and drops several feet of snow (unlikely) the big bears will still be out doing last minute foraging..........probably as dangerous a time as early spring to run into one by yourself.

2. Weather will be tending toward colder (below freezing every night) with unsettled days. Actual conditions really depend on fronts moving through and the amount of moisture they carry. Really, just figure 10-20 degrees colder than early September, with possible snow flurries and perhaps a snowfall of several inches and you will be prepared. I go the last two weeks of September every year, with the following week in Grand Tetons for the fall foliage...........and have seen everything from snow and closed roads to (last year) mid 80s in the Mammoth area and across the northern reaches.

3. Wolves are still exremely variable at this time of year. Not much advice I can give there except to talk to the Association folks and the Rangers every day for possible action in Lamar and Hayden. Coyotes should be out at sunrise every morning looking for leftovers and mice/etc. Elk will be, if anything, more active and agressive than early September. Always lots around Mammoth and points south of there at that time of year.

4. I always find fall foliage is far better in Grand Tetons than Yellowstone (more aspen and cottonwoods, etc.). You will probably find some leaves gone and color gone in higher altitudes, and (if it hasn't snowed significantly) still green around Mammoth.

5. Sorry to miss you, but my reservations are already in and my travel schedule makes me go from North to South in order to get back to Texas on time.

Gene

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM
twgphotog

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What is Yellowstone like in October?

Gene,

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I hope you have a fun and successful trip this year!

Take care,

Travis

Aug 13, 2012 at 04:14 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What is Yellowstone like in October?

It will be cold. i've spent 4 fall seasons there..in 2nd & 3rd week of september...in almost all the years we encountered rain and snowfall. Nothing much that would stick..but it'll be cold.

The bears/bisons and wolf will be around..elk will have most migrated.

You'll find more elk and moose in Grand Tetons.

Aug 13, 2012 at 04:30 PM
twgphotog

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What is Yellowstone like in October?

Sunny Sra,

Thanks for your input. I usually go sometime around the first or second week in September and have experienced a wide range in weather and conditions.

Take care,

Travis

Aug 14, 2012 at 03:47 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.