New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

Carson Wilcox
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

I just got a manfrotto 055CXPRO3 to replace my velbon 530 tripod. I liked the velbon but mostly went to the manfrotto because it is taller and can be used for the most part with the center column retracted. The velbon has foam padding on the top section of all three legs and I had grown to like this because it made it very comfortable to carry. I didn't notice until it arrived that the manfrotto has no padding. Just wondering are there any real pros or cons to this.

Thanks
Carson

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:22 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

Helps stop your hands getting cold/frostbitten in winter.

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:32 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

I've installed foam padding on the last few 2-series Gitzo's I've owned, although it's a lot of work (floated the tubing on using compressed air). Here's a pic of my ex G1228LVL:

http://deanwcains.smugmug.com/photos/129687195_hhXtu-L.jpg

The foam is from a bicycle shop, sold as padding for handlebars, and is seamless. Others have glued or taped split padding (such as for hot water pipes) in place, and there are also kits available from several makers, too. I don't see any downside, and the upside is more comfortable handling and maybe better vibration damping. I'm unsure why companies like Gitzo and RRS, which install padding on their monopod legs, can't do the same with tripods.

http://deanwcains.smugmug.com/photos/129687353_GBgnE-L.jpg

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:41 AM
Jack Heckaman
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

I use the lenscoat Leg coats on my Gitzo.
http://www.lenscoat.com/legcoats-c-23_4.html?osCsid=1dcbc0616f8abd91aa176b32a32f3bfb

I see they now mag ones called wraps that are thinner as they do not have the foam underneath. I find these to work great especially on long hikes as the foam is a relief to my shoulders.

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:48 AM
Carson Wilcox
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

Thanks, I'm going to look for the lenscoat

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM
eskimochaos
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

I used lens coat's leg wraps on my RRS tripod.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Aug 13, 2012 at 07:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

the primary reason for the use of foam was for shoulder loading of the tripod and whatever you attached to it. alloy and or CF are unyielding materials to the human shoulder and can cause substantial discomfort and really leave a mark or two depending on the weight. as to the concept of cold hands grabbing alloy legs can be an issue but CF is not.

Aug 13, 2012 at 08:41 PM
johnip
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

Has anyone used these from Aqua Tech? You only get two, but you can't rest more than two legs on your shoulder anyway. They look like a good product and they're cheaper than the Lenscoat pads. And no mess like some that use glue.

AquaTech leg wraps

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:11 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

sjms wrote:
the primary reason for the use of foam was for shoulder loading of the tripod and whatever you attached to it. alloy and or CF are unyielding materials to the human shoulder and can cause substantial discomfort and really leave a mark or two depending on the weight. as to the concept of cold hands grabbing alloy legs can be an issue but CF is not.

I have CF legs and I can tell you grabbing those legs where there ain't any foam and you'll get cold hands real fast when it is freezing outdoors.

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:09 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

when its freezing outdoors anything you really come in contact that is not self heating will draw off warmth. in comparison to each other CF and any metal alloy are at a substantial distance from each other on the heat transfer scale.

and yes i have spent a substantial amount of my time in cold environments. it is my preference.
http://i.pbase.com/o2/89/44489/1/105946304.FT4n1oyn.MW.jpg

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Jack Heckaman
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

johnip wrote:
Has anyone used these from Aqua Tech? You only get two, but you can't rest more than two legs on your shoulder anyway. They look like a good product and they're cheaper than the Lenscoat pads. And no mess like some that use glue.

AquaTech leg wraps

Not sure about the glue thing - RRS legcoats and wraps use velcro -

I can say that I have had mine for 4 years now and they look the same as they did new (white camo) and they have saved my neck/shoulder numerous times while walking through the woods and through the snow. The UP in Michigan can be brutal in the winter and CF gets pretty darn cold to the touch. I feel my legcoats to be a great investment ( as all my RRS stuff has been) - may be a few more dollars but RRS stuff is made to last.

Aug 15, 2012 at 07:39 AM
Jack Heckaman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

sjms wrote:
when its freezing outdoors anything you really come in contact that is not self heating will draw off warmth. in comparison to each other CF and any metal alloy are at a substantial distance from each other on the heat transfer scale.

and yes i have spent a substantial amount of my time in cold environments. it is my preference.
http://i.pbase.com/o2/89/44489/1/105946304.FT4n1oyn.MW.jpg

Where is this Antartica?

Aug 15, 2012 at 07:41 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

Sure looks like it. There's a reason I live in Florida.

Aug 15, 2012 at 04:32 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

Definitely LensCoat leg wraps, I love mine!

Aug 16, 2012 at 02:49 PM
Carson Wilcox
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

I order the LensCoat leg wraps, Adorama backordered them so I ordered them directly from LensCoat, they should be here tomorrow.

Aug 16, 2012 at 07:10 PM
Glenn NK
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

dcains wrote:
I've installed foam padding on the last few 2-series Gitzo's I've owned, although it's a lot of work (floated the tubing on using compressed air).

That is one clever idea.

Could you describe the process of "floating on with compressed air" in a bit more detail?

Thanks.

Glenn

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Carson Wilcox
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

I got the lens coat wraps but didn't like the bulge created where the Velcro overlaps, they should really have beveled it. Anyway I send them back and got the Manfrotto 380 wraps, not a lot of padding but functional.

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:59 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

Glenn NK wrote:
That is one clever idea.

Could you describe the process of "floating on with compressed air" in a bit more detail?

Thanks.

Glenn

Well, the first step is to fully disassemble the tripod to get just the upper leg segments separated. Then you need to just use some muscle to get the foam threaded onto the bottom of a leg segment - maybe an inch or a little more. I can't imagine this is possible on a leg with a larger diameter than a 2-series Gitzo, as the foam tubing really resists stretching. At that point you can use insert your compressed air hose into the open end of the foam, which expands it and allows it to easily be moved fully onto the leg. It takes a bit of trial and error, but after the first one it's easier. The foam tubing still needs to be moved further up the leg, but by aiming a fine stream of air at the bottom edge of the foam tubing it will expand again and can be fully floated into place. This is the sort of air nozzle I have on my compressor:

http://www.amazon.com/Air-Blow-Gun-Interchangeable-Nozzles/dp/B0017JSD34

These are the grips:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Road-Bicycle-Grips-Piece/dp/B000AO5K42/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

Aug 25, 2012 at 04:26 PM
Glenn NK
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

dcains:

Thanks for the reply - I have a compressor with the trigger type nozzle.

Glenn

Aug 25, 2012 at 06:08 PM
Charles Gallo
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · foam padding on cf tripod legs

How about some nice "fancywork" marline seamanship - sor of like what you used to see on Navy ships, and still see on fancy sailboats. I've been seriously thinking of doing mine

Aug 25, 2012 at 06:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.