Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · FM SELLING PROCEDURES

ErieGuy

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · FM SELLING PROCEDURES

I am new to FM. Late last week I posted my first item for sale. I quickly received and accepted a cash offer with local pick-up. We were to meet Sunday afternoon, but the buyer never showed up or contacted me.

When it was apparent that my "buyer" had lost interest, I began contacting other FM members who expressed an interest in my camera, in the order in which they responded.

My question is, how long is it appropriate for me to wait for a response from these members before I move on to the next person on the list?

Unfortunately I am finding that those who expressed an interest have naturally purchased other equipment. Meanwhile, my wonderful deal on my camera grows stale.

Any comments?

Thanks.

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:51 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #2 · FM SELLING PROCEDURES

ErieGuy,

include in your advertisement the statement "I retain the option to sell to whomever I choose, on whatever basis I choose, without regard to the order in which I am contacted." It's your item, sir.

Edit: I also recommend that you do a careful review of the buyer's feedback here on FM. Note especially for those individuals who claim hundred's of "Great" feedbacks that you carefully evaluate each of them on the basis of whether the feedback had to do with an item bought or an item sold. If you are selling an item that you consider a "high dollar" item, check to see if the potential buyer has a "Great" feedback record for purchasing "high dollar" items. At least in my view, YMMV, somebody who reports a hundred "Great" feedbacks for having spent $25 bucks on a hundred purchases of low priced items selling for say 25$, I would not regard with the same degree of confidence as I would somebody who bought 10 items at a price value similar to or above what I was selling.

Just my .02$, but if you'd like more data on that, feel free to PM me.

Welcome to FM. LIved in and near Erie 12 years; ran three marathons and numerous other runs on Presque Isle. Great city. I loved the three weeks of summer

take care, tony

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:05 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · FM SELLING PROCEDURES

anthonysemone wrote:
... also recommend that you do a careful review of the buyer's feedback here on FM. Note especially for those individuals who claim hundred's of "Great" feedbacks that you carefully evaluate each of them on the basis of whether the feedback had to do with an item bought or an item sold. If you are selling an item that you consider a "high dollar" item, check to see if the potential buyer has a "Great" feedback record for purchasing "high dollar" items. At least in my view, YMMV, somebody who reports a hundred "Great" feedbacks for having spent $25 bucks
...Show more

+1...I always take a look at a buyer's feedback & posting history. Use your common sense and when in doubt, just move on.

HTH,
Omar

Aug 13, 2012 at 02:29 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · FM SELLING PROCEDURES

Payment sent according to the listing... I think you worry too much...

Aug 14, 2012 at 07:35 AM
ErieGuy

p.1 #5 · FM SELLING PROCEDURES

Thanks, Tony. And from your avatar, thanks for your service.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ErieGuy

p.1 #6 · FM SELLING PROCEDURES

Thanks, Omar.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · FM SELLING PROCEDURES

anthonysemone wrote:
ErieGuy,

include in your advertisement the statement "I retain the option to sell to whomever I choose, on whatever basis I choose, without regard to the order in which I am contacted." It's your item, sir.

Edit: I also recommend that you do a careful review of the buyer's feedback here on FM. Note especially for those individuals who claim hundred's of "Great" feedbacks that you carefully evaluate each of them on the basis of whether the feedback had to do with an item bought or an item sold. If you are selling an item that you consider a "high dollar"
...Show more

Tony's analysis is "right on"! Had 1 scammer last week tell me he would buy my item but no Pay Pal even though I was paying PP fee! He wanted to pay by personal check, I said fine but only afterr the 3-5 day clearance period and funds have been deposited into my bank.
Waited all day for his reply for my mailing address, never heard from him until later that day/night and he now was not sure we needed it.
Found out from other FMers' he pulled the same thing on them.

I require a deposit for any local sale. I will eat the fee just for insurance that what happened to you doesn't happen to me.
I now warn others I see this guy wanting to buy from.
Good luck and just be careful! And save all your PM's/emails..
Dan

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:46 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #8 · FM SELLING PROCEDURES

Erieguy, I feel your pain, though in a reverse sort of way. For the last week I had corresponded with a seller for a 24-105 lens at a good price. I would send a PM with a question then get a reply a day or so later. Finally I offered a price that to me seemed fair based on what I saw them going for on eBay. (age considerations, but basically total price of about $15 less than what he was asking including fees and shipping) Finally I gave up waiting for a response and just bought a new one locally for almost the same price. The guy finally responded after 3 days telling me he was working with a guy who offered more but if the sale fell through that he would let me know.

Anyway, while I cannot stand sellers who will say first one to send money get it, I would put limitations on the sale such as you have until 10pm or 5 pm or whatever to get back to me. Just realize time zones and when people may be at work. I usually tell people 10pm as that gives time for those on all coasts to get home from work and check their computers and also gives some time for the next guy to respond before they go to sleep for the night. While I've had buyers back out, using the 10pm method I've always generally gotten paid within 24 hours. 9I tell people they need to pay by x time) Plus, by giving buyers time to respond and time to pay, you generally earn a better reputation. most can't stand those who will say they'll sell you something then say sorry, already sold it an hour later.

Aug 14, 2012 at 02:30 PM
thallikar

p.1 #9 · FM SELLING PROCEDURES

Let us say that this thread be wrapped up because Erieguy found a nice buyer, well, me, of course

Aug 17, 2012 at 09:17 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password