Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Creative Cheerleading portrait examples?

Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Creative Cheerleading portrait examples?

I've been contacted by a school about taking some "creative" shots of their senior cheerleaders. The school is already using somebody for their standard portraits, but they don't offer anything but a pre-set pose. I've been back and fourth with the school AND the group in charge of the normal portraits, and I'm fine contract-wise.

They want to go somewhere thats NOT the football field or the gym. I honestly don't really know what they are expecting. Do any of you happen to have any examples of this type of shot? They want something fun and creative. I am just having trouble picturing something out of the typical cheerleader context (field or gym).

Aug 13, 2012 at 01:54 AM
andyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Creative Cheerleading portrait examples?

Local paper had a shot of the volleyball girls team rock climbing, this is one of those indoor rock climbing centers. For cheerleaders either a shot from above or them swinging away from the rock in unison.

Playground. Swings and assorted monkey bar types setups may lend well to posing thinking og a half dome so you have angles to play with as they pose.

Aug 13, 2012 at 03:08 AM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Creative Cheerleading portrait examples?

anybody else?

Aug 14, 2012 at 04:41 AM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Creative Cheerleading portrait examples?

Jeff,
Not sure if this is what you are after, but i dug them up just in case.
Best of luck,
Billy-

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1033673/0?keyword=cheer#9819504

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1045624/0#9932848

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:24 AM
innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Creative Cheerleading portrait examples?

How about some studio shots with them wearing eye black,shoulder pads, football pants,long sox, etc and not all the gear at the same time. Maybe the shoulder pads with some long sox in team shorts or there cheer outfit. If you dont want to do the studio, do you have like an old idustry park, or where there is some graffiti and do a grunge type of shot.

Or do like a runway/model shoot showing off there outfits and the sports they cheer for uniforms

Andy

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:11 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Creative Cheerleading portrait examples?

This is pretty cool...
http://junion.com/CONTENT/open_page.htm

One thing I'm a bit confused about Jeff. How come they don't go to the contracted team photographer and ask HIM to do something "different" this year? Since he has the contract and is making the coin, the school employs him and should initially make the request. Seems like even if you come up with something great, you're already set up to fail since the parents have already bought photos from the other guy and now we are asking to pay twice. What's the deal?

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:08 AM
knight13
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Creative Cheerleading portrait examples?

P Alesse wrote:
This is pretty cool...

That's impressive to say the least.

I think there are a TON of great ideas in the above link.

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Creative Cheerleading portrait examples?

Why not ask them what they are thinking first and go from there? Figure they must have some sort of idea.

Aug 14, 2012 at 05:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

chrisbergmann
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Creative Cheerleading portrait examples?

I agree with PAlesse. I was recently called in by a coach to shoot portraits for her varsity dance team. The girls had just won the Jazz National Championship in FL and wanted something more creative then the standard team pictures they had taken during the year. I incorporated their recently won trophy and they all seemed to like the photos because they were different, style wise and from an editing perspective. Feedback from coach and dancers was positive but only 30% of the parents bought a package since they already purchased team and individual photos earlier in the year. I took a gamble and lost but maybe you will have better luck than I did. If asked again next year I would have to decline.

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:03 PM
Beau Arnold
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Creative Cheerleading portrait examples?

If you need the work take it.......but I got to agree with Mr. Alesse.

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:26 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Creative Cheerleading portrait examples?

P Alesse wrote:
This is pretty cool...

One thing I'm a bit confused about Jeff. How come they don't go to the contracted team photographer and ask HIM to do something "different" this year? Since he has the contract and is making the coin, the school employs him and should initially make the request. Seems like even if you come up with something great, you're already set up to fail since the parents have already bought photos from the other guy and now we are asking to pay twice. What's the deal?

The photography company sends out those who could be called "button pushers" not photographers. The parents are the ones that approached the school about taking non-cookie cutter shots. This will only be for a few cheerleaders, not the entire team...mostly the Senior cheerleaders. We're talking like 4 or 5 kids...but you guys have me reconsidering if its worth even my time to do this...hmm....

Aug 14, 2012 at 08:58 PM
Shane Psaltis
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Creative Cheerleading portrait examples?

Jeff,

This is very interesting! If it was us personally I would ask for a up front fee for your time! Atleast $300 and they can then buy prints. There are many different ideas then after they agree to pay you for your time. Great shots of cheerleaders off the field are always at the beach. Catch them doing stuff in the sand or even in the water.

Get paid first you have already invested time by just posting on the forum.

Good luck and please post some photos if you decide to take this assignment.

Cheers

Shane

Aug 17, 2012 at 06:36 AM
AaronFromCR

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Creative Cheerleading portrait examples?

Serious looking composite if you got the skills this guy does.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bpowphoto/6383823619/

Aug 22, 2012 at 07:27 PM
ccnwashdc

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Creative Cheerleading portrait examples?

I was asked to do something similar last year -- went to a local park lots of grass -- several flower gardens for background but still shot with short DOF. Poses were at the cheer coach's instruction, all I did was take the photos.

Coach had seen poses and groupings by other cheer squads so she already knew what she wanted.

Aug 22, 2012 at 07:41 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Creative Cheerleading portrait examples?

Jeff, IMO, anytime you get the opportunity to shoot cheer, take it! Especially if you have any portrait/senior clients. But, you've gotta bring your "A" game, make it fun and don't be afraid to step out of the box a little.

Cheerleaders are typically more popular at school, the trend setters, not to mention it costs a bit of $$ to be a cheerleader. That all adds up to buy rate and free advertising if you do it right. Make sure you watermark your images with your studio name and phone number. When the girls post their images on social media, you get free advertising. Have a game plan, have fun, make sure the cheer squad has fun and lastly, have solid images!

Aug 23, 2012 at 03:55 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password