FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · First weddin .. CC welcome

Joe Zimmerman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First weddin .. CC welcome

Not my typically genre but my great niece asked me to shoot her wedding and i said yes. A little more on the traditional side as far as the portraits go. How did I do.

Aug 12, 2012 at 06:13 PM
bwield
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First weddin .. CC welcome

I think you got a lot of good moments.

I am sure that your Great Niece will be very happy. The processing is not going to suit everyone's taste (HDR look is not typical for weddings) but that's your stylistic choice.

My favourite is 31

Aug 13, 2012 at 07:26 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First weddin .. CC welcome

I think you did okay. I'm not a huge fan of the processing, but that's your opinion that matters on that one. And did the guys really wear hunting-camo vests?

I think they'll really like the images.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:14 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First weddin .. CC welcome

Not bad for a first.

Looks like you're using way too much recovery, and it's producing an HDR effect; as well as graying many of the highlights. You might want to continue playing with processing to figure out how to avoid that. FWIW.

Coverage is good. I think they'll be very happy.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First weddin .. CC welcome

You appear to be using bounce flash, or possibly sometimes off camera flash, which is good, but I'm seeing the un-gelled-flash doing mortal combat with the tungsten ambient, which is alternately giving you varying degrees of strong orange casting on the background and sometimes the subjects, or a magenta tint, depending on how you've white-balanced.

If you gel your flash full CTO or 1/2 CTO, and white balance for that, you'll reduce the clash of light colors and make it harder to tell that the key light is (usually) coming from your equipment. Since you're bouncing, I'm pretty sure the flash you're using came with a set of gels likely including three orange ones (1/4, 1/2, and full).

I think Alan is correct: the problem isn't that you used HDR software, but that you weren't happy with your exposure and used a lot of Recovery in Lightroom. I think 24, 25, and 26 exhibit this problem -- the specular highlight on his forehead was probably nearly blown. In 26, your exposure levels (however you've set them in camera and in post processing) result in an almost grey-ish dress, especially near the bottom. You don't need to blow out the image, but a whiter-looking white dress is probably desirable.

I think you'll resolve some of these issues by gelling the flash and letting it work in concert with the ambient, rather than at odds with the ambient.

Aug 13, 2012 at 04:51 PM
jbrandt378
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First weddin .. CC welcome

I agree with the comments that you got a lot of great moments. I also think they will be happy with the results. The flash and WB issues have been covered, so I'll ask another. Why did you (or maybe you didn't) do all the photos before the ceremony in the church? It looks like it was a sunny day outside.

I certainly love me some cammo at weddings.

Aug 13, 2012 at 06:39 PM
Joe Zimmerman
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First weddin .. CC welcome

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Yes I did play with the photos a bit . I wasn't happy with them right out of the camera. I just got some Einsteins a few days before the wedding so i was new to them and wish i would have stuck to the speed lights. I used it in a 48 inch octa camera right but i didn't have gels for the Einsteins. It was raining all night and most of the morning so she didn't want to go outside and get muddy so we shot in the church. She didn't plan out any time for photos so we squeezed in photos before the wedding except for any where the bride and groom are together. Couldn't convince them that its not bad luck to see each other before the wedding so it was a bit rushed setup/tear down several times. yes it was a rednecky wedding. I didn't post a close up of the cupcakes (cake) but they had deer, hunting stuff on the top. You can see in the one shot that has orange blob on top cupcake, its a hunting jacket. I used the light meter built into buffs trigger for the flash and matched my setting so they should be close but they were a little hot but shouldn't have anything blown. But it did have the color issue I was fighting. Here is on shot straight from camera. I was being a little lazy because of feeling rushed and wish i set up the second flash for fill on the left but i just tried to feather the light from the 1 flash. I tried to keep the ambient a stop below the flash so they stood out a bit but not have too dark of a background. I kind of hate harsh shadows hence i played quite a bit to try and soften them in post. I should have used the 60" octa.

Thanks again all,
Joe

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:38 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First weddin .. CC welcome

Oh, now I see. I think the problem here is that you needed a fill light for this particular shot (and the ones like it). Other images (e.g., non-posed shots) have different issues, but in this one, the contrast on the face is so strong as to be objectionable, and you tried to lift the shadow side using the FILL LIGHT slider in Lightroom (or its equivalent in whatever editing software you were using).

And doing that will tend to create a bit of an HDR feel, basically by reducing overall contrast by lifting medium shadows without boosting highlights.

If you had two Einsteins, you could have used the octa where it was, as the key light, but added the second light as a fill light on a stand over your shoulder with an umbrella (shoot-through, probably, to get the bigger groups, but reflected would have worked, too). Meter the fill at about 2 stops below the key to solve this problem.

(And if you only have one Einstein, you could still use a speedlight in an umbrella as fill, so long as you're not firing the Einstein at highest power).

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:23 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.