Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Detail and Noise Reduction - Canon vs Olympus

Patrick Cox
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Detail and Noise Reduction - Canon vs Olympus

Question for everyone - I have been comparing my OM-D to my 5D II with respect to Purple Fringing and now my latest images make me think of another topic. The images below show more noise in the Olympus OM-D image but I am wondering if this is a choice that Olympus makes in order to preserve detail. To my eye, the OM-D image also has more detail than the Canon. Granted these are not real controlled tests but this is the result I have.

Both images were shot at F5.6, 1/200, ISO 1600, Straight Raw conversions, Auto Curves in PS, 100% crop.

Since I shot Raw, I am not sure if the camera manufacturer can still affect noise and sharpness through camera "processing" so I am asking the question.

Thanks for your input!

Here are the images:

5D II, 24-70

OM-D, PL 25

Aug 12, 2012 at 09:26 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Detail and Noise Reduction - Canon vs Olympus

Before making any conclusions, I would reshoot on a tripod, of the same subject with the same light in the same place and direction, and don't shoot through glass this time. It can't possibly take that long to remove a whole bunch of potentially confounding factors like that.

Aug 12, 2012 at 09:31 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Detail and Noise Reduction - Canon vs Olympus

+1

On the detail I think focus and light differences are the main culprits there.

For noise I guess the OM-D would be noisier. For the best NR software try Topaz Lab's DeNoise. Hands down winner in my last round of rigorous tests. Find the settings that work, record it in a script which will follows those dynamic initializers and fades the results to 75% with the fade tool afterwards - assuming you use PS that is...

Aug 12, 2012 at 09:36 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Detail and Noise Reduction - Canon vs Olympus

You are also comparing a decent zoom vs a really good prime

In my tests OMD certainly more noise than 5d2 at ISO 3200, with 5d2 having smoother grain, around a stop but this was a quicky test so just a guesstimate and I didnt test for detail.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:31 AM
AhamB
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Detail and Noise Reduction - Canon vs Olympus

It looks like the 5D image was front-focused, at the tip of the side-fin (closest to the camera). The OM-D image has deeper DOF and you'll need to stop down the lens on the 5D more to get the same DOF, which might negate the difference in noise.

Aug 13, 2012 at 01:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Detail and Noise Reduction - Canon vs Olympus

Agree. The 24-70 has a disgraceful sample variation. Both from AF precision perspective but worse, also the optics itself. I rejected 3 copies and ended up not buying one. A good copy properly focused would produce a much more crisp image even at ISO 1600. It's arguably the most versatile AF lens around for a Canon, and with great IQ (dare not say magnificent here in the alt-forum :-)

Aug 13, 2012 at 03:43 PM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Detail and Noise Reduction - Canon vs Olympus

wfrank wrote:
Agree. The 24-70 has a disgraceful sample variation. Both from AF precision perspective but worse, also the optics itself. I rejected 3 copies and ended up not buying one. A good copy properly focused would produce a much more crisp image even at ISO 1600. It's arguably the most versatile AF lens around for a Canon, and with great IQ (dare not say magnificent here in the alt-forum :-)

I actually feel like I have a pretty good copy. At least from a landscapes perspective. My 24-70 is considerably sharper than the 24-105 that it replaced for landscapes. Now I have not really used it for much more than that so up close it might not be as good, but I am not sure. After looking at the image again, I agree with Ahamb that this is probably a DOF issue as the focus seems to be on the front fin and with the DOF being so shallow at this distance, the body of the fish is not perfectly in focus. But is it clear that the FF sensor is less noisy than the OM-D sensor.

Thanks.

Aug 13, 2012 at 05:01 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Detail and Noise Reduction - Canon vs Olympus

Good to hear Patrick. A good copy is great and razor sharp, and if I wasnt as much into MF and Zeiss as I am that would be THE lens for me.

Aug 13, 2012 at 05:40 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Detail and Noise Reduction - Canon vs Olympus

As expected. The OM-D resolves a heck of a lot of detail, though, and you may find you can do more RAW noise reduction on the OM-D to retain similar levels of detail to your DSLRs. After all, the final image is what matters... I find in Lightroom, for high ISO shots, I can do luminance noise reduction of about 30 with minimal loss of detail, and on very high ISO shots, even 50-60 doesn't do too much smearing,while drastically reducing any noise. For lower ISO shots, I'll often do NR of 10 just to help reduce a little noise in skies, and there's no perceptible impact on resolution at that setting.

Aug 13, 2012 at 05:40 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Detail and Noise Reduction - Canon vs Olympus

Yes, Lightroom's NR tool does a pretty decent job. If you are using their sharpening tool as well be sure to also use the masking slider - I would usually set the masking at around 80 to avoid any sharpening in the sky area and any area where you don't want any sharpening.

Jman13 wrote:
As expected. The OM-D resolves a heck of a lot of detail, though, and you may find you can do more RAW noise reduction on the OM-D to retain similar levels of detail to your DSLRs. After all, the final image is what matters... I find in Lightroom, for high ISO shots, I can do luminance noise reduction of about 30 with minimal loss of detail, and on very high ISO shots, even 50-60 doesn't do too much smearing,while drastically reducing any noise. For lower ISO shots, I'll often do NR of 10 just to help reduce a little noise
...Show more

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:13 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password