New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Question on Lens Distortion Correction in Camera

AMaji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question on Lens Distortion Correction in Camera

The latest L series firmware update issued by Nikon corrects lens distortions in camera for models like D800 etc. I can understand that it is definitely applied to the in camera jpgs. However, is the correction made and recorded in the RAW files too? If we are not using Nikon NX etc. but LR4, will the Raw files show the correction to be already made, and we do not need to use the lens profile corrections of LR4, PS etc. The reason I am saying this is because when we use lens profile corrections in LR4, we lose some part of the image, but if it is already done in the Raw file and we have previewed it and was satisfied in the field, we will not lose any part of the image canvas.

I hope I am making sense with this rambling.

Thank you for your help.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question on Lens Distortion Correction in Camera

No one?

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:16 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question on Lens Distortion Correction in Camera

Best way to check is to shoot both jpg + raw, import into LR and compare.

I did shoot jpg+raw but I always convert the raw to dng before importing into LR. The dng is not corrected for distortion. I suspect the raw isn't either. After all, it's a raw.

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:41 AM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question on Lens Distortion Correction in Camera

In which way and on what place you do distortion correction you loose some parts of the image. There is no way that Nikon make a bended line straight on another way than Adobe or DxO. Nikon has the advantage of knowing exactly the characteristics of their lenses, but other companies can measure these too and you can even make your own lensprofile.

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:05 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question on Lens Distortion Correction in Camera

Thank you for your replies. I also suspect that the Raw is not corrected for distortion. The problem is then what I see on the LCD review is not what is in the Raw file. I can understand the color, WB etc. can be adjusted, but I was hoping at least the entire image should be the same for the saved Raw and jpg preview files. If not, then in some rare cases, the image boundaries will vary and may create a problem with composition. For example, it can lead to cropping off distorted horizons, when the intent was to keep the horizon in the image at that location of the frame.

For example, using the 16-35 and at 16mm, one may just be able to include the horizon for a landscape image. During the jpg preview, he/she sees it is there, but in Raw it shows up as distorted and trying to correct it in LR/PS may lead to cropped ends. As LR and Nikon does these calcs differently, there is a chance of this happening. I am just trying to find out the limits of my tools, so that I can compensate for these accordingly. Maybe in these cases, it is better to shoot two images and merge them, if possible.

Thank you again for your input.

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question on Lens Distortion Correction in Camera

I don't know what you intend to reach by 'merging' pics, but anyway, you won't really be able to do much better than the bullt in algorithm. All the pics you will generate will be derived from the raw file (a copy of what the sensor sees). The distortion correction indeed removes parts of the pics to make the in camera jpeg. If you are using LR, if you select the right lens correction, you'll get a similar result (the algorithm might indeed be slightly different), basically losing similar parts of the picture. There is no way you can have a corrected picture without losing any information from the original raw.

Guy

Aug 13, 2012 at 03:44 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question on Lens Distortion Correction in Camera

Hi Amajl

You can always turn off the distortion correction in your d800 mode in the menus. If you do that, it shouldn't show at all, not on your jpgs nor in the lcd shot previews...

Hope that helps?

Aug 13, 2012 at 03:53 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question on Lens Distortion Correction in Camera

Thank you Guy. I should have been clearer by merging, I mean maybe a two or three image panorama.

Guari, thanks for the tips. I think I will turn it off, as I have been debating it. I think the default was off, but I had turned it on. I just wanted to make sure if the RAW is somehow affected by the in camera correction or not.

Thank you.

Aug 13, 2012 at 04:47 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.