Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · #514 The Speed of Light

Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #514 The Speed of Light

The speed of light "travels" at 186,000 miles per second...last night a friend of mine and I went out to Brasstown Bald to try to catch the traveling meteors of the Perseid Meteor Shower. This image was one of only two that showed meteors that I caught. The meteor shower was a lot less eventful than advertised. We saw 35-40 in the 3 hours we were there. We still had fun.

The Speed Of Light

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM
wifi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #514 The Speed of Light

Very nice capture, Travis. You were much more successful at this than I was - way too much ambient light in my location. And I agree, much less eventful than advertised, but I'm sure this was largely due to my non-ideal viewing conditions.

Aug 12, 2012 at 07:02 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #514 The Speed of Light

wifi wrote:
Very nice capture, Travis. You were much more successful at this than I was - way too much ambient light in my location. And I agree, much less eventful than advertised, but I'm sure this was largely due to my non-ideal viewing conditions.

Thank you. We had more ambient light from small towns and Atlanta than I would have liked, next time I will do a little more research and find a better spot with darker skies. Even with our decent position, there were not that many meteors, we were there from 1Am until 4AM, and probably saw 35...not the 60/hour that we were expecting.

Aug 12, 2012 at 07:15 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #514 The Speed of Light

Travis,
Great shot and nice catch on the meteorites and milky way.
Something that not many people realize but as you look into the night sky you are looking back in time.

Aug 12, 2012 at 09:02 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #514 The Speed of Light

Klaus Priebe wrote:
Travis,
Great shot and nice catch on the meteorites and milky way.
Something that not many people realize but as you look into the night sky you are looking back in time.

Thanks For the kind words Klaus.

Given how long it takes the light to get to us, I would imagine that we are seeing light from the past...kinda reminds us how small we are.

Aug 12, 2012 at 09:03 PM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #514 The Speed of Light

Good one Travis. Great colors and composition.

Aug 13, 2012 at 02:03 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #514 The Speed of Light

twistedlim wrote:
Good one Travis. Great colors and composition.

Thanks Rich. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Aug 13, 2012 at 02:07 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #514 The Speed of Light

Very good shot, Travis. The sky at Santa Rosa Beach has looked a little different this week. I was awakened at 4:00 this morning to the sound of thunder, so I grabbed my camera and rain cover and headed to the beach. This is what it looked like.

Aug 14, 2012 at 09:25 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #514 The Speed of Light

Thanks Robert....WOW, that is one heck of a lightning show! Too bad the theme for the week is not weather...that would be a slam dunk!

Aug 15, 2012 at 06:03 AM
jrrhodes
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #514 The Speed of Light

In south GA it was worse Travis. I was up until about 11 and saw exactly 2. I got back up at 3:30am to 4:30 and saw 1. I'm in small town and the ambient, although present, couldn't have been too much of a factor. I guess our part of the world didn't get too many meteors.

J.R.

Aug 15, 2012 at 08:06 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #514 The Speed of Light

At least your meteor is more visible, I didn't get one that looked that clean. I think you might have had too much cloud cover too, the clouds are kinda cool though.

Aug 16, 2012 at 07:08 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.