Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5dmk3 screen protection

dave chilvers
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 5dmk3 screen protection

Still waiting for the Giottos protector.

I`ve been offered a GGS glass screen protector, are they coated and has anyone used them at all.

I need to fit something because the way I do my shoots I`m bound to damage mine before too long.

Aug 12, 2012 at 07:58 AM
stanj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 5dmk3 screen protection

I believe the "screen" is actually a thin screen protector that costs a few bucks from Canon and can easily be replaced. Adding a protector onto the protector seems a bit redundant.

Aug 12, 2012 at 08:02 AM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #3 · 5dmk3 screen protection

stanj wrote:
I believe the "screen" is actually a thin screen protector that costs a few bucks from Canon and can easily be replaced. Adding a protector onto the protector seems a bit redundant.

Stan
This is the item that would probably get me by for now but it doesn`t mention coatings http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/product-detail.php?cat=95&product=601&desc=GGS++Pro+Glass+LCD+Protector+Canon+5D+MkIII

When you say it seems silly putting a protection on a protector, I thought that I read that the glass screen on the 5D3 was not user changeable? and was actually part of the display now?
I do use my cameras heavy around beaches etc and they always seem to be near or in contact with things that can scratch them on my photo vest. The giottos on my 5d2`s do get marked up and I live with it knowing that if/when I want to replace them or sell the cameras I can remove them and underneath will be mint plus. It`s a mind thing perhaps but worth the few quid to get peace of mind and just concentrate on getting the shot.

So! for maybe less that a Giottos I can get a replacement (original) and with the help of maybe a suction pad can change it as and when? ( like on some of the old cameras and the clear windows on the lenses)

Aug 12, 2012 at 09:07 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #4 · 5dmk3 screen protection

stanj wrote:

Where do you buy the Canon parts?
I can't seem to find them on the Canon website.

Aug 13, 2012 at 01:05 AM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #5 · 5dmk3 screen protection

stanj wrote:

Can`t find just the protector but found this http://www.cameraspareparts.co.uk/genuine-lcd-screen-display-for-canon-eos-5d-mk-iii-3865-p.asp

Dave

Aug 14, 2012 at 07:52 AM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #6 · 5dmk3 screen protection

I ordered a GGS protector in the end (the latest pro version which has a thin plastic edge frame as added protection) BTW I did break a Giottos one on the 5D2 on the extreme corner so the thin plastic frame on the GGS might work out as an advantage because they do tend to be vunerable on the corners.

Anyway for those that might be considering a GGS, they are very well made and designed and have the added bomb proof layers that would keep them in one piece if broken and would probably avoid screen damage from a central blow that breaks them. Once fitted the screen looks fine, slightly raised from the original of course but with that rounded frame it looks quite nice( in fact my wife thinks it enhances the look so it must look good and as usual I must agree or else Out of doors shading the camera from the sun with my body after taking a shot I can see little if any difference between it and the Giottos. You also get a clear protector for the top lcd readout.

I do appreciate that people either see protecting the lcd as a must or not so you pays your money and take your choice.
Out of interest, I ride a fairly fast E bike and when young never did wear a crash helmet but after a friend slipped on some gravel and hit his head on a curb, destroyed the helmet, had a headache for the rest of the day but was out for a beer that same night I always wear mine now. Yeh! you can`t beat riding with the wind in your hair on a nice summers day providing you stay upright.

Dave

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:22 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #7 · 5dmk3 screen protection

stanj wrote:

Replacing the screen requires applying heat from a hair dryer to soften the old adhesive and easy removal, (watch to see how's done on you-tube) I don't think I want to use a hair dryer to remove a screen every time I get a scratch or a mark on my screen, you're better off getting a screen protector which could be easily removed without the use of heat.

Aug 14, 2012 at 02:49 PM
carnac
• •
p.1 #8 · 5dmk3 screen protection

I have a Giottos glass protector for my rear LCD of my 50D and 5D mk II. They both fit great and I am very happy. I know that I could replace the Canon LCD cover, but decided I'd rather just add the Giottos. Works for me.

Jim

Aug 14, 2012 at 02:55 PM
Todd Klassy
• •
p.1 #9 · 5dmk3 screen protection

I haven't had a problem yet with marks to the rear LCD on my 5D Mark III, BUT there is an annoying 'hump' on the right side of the top LCD screen where it must be rubbing against something and is causing a rub/scratch mark on the top of that 'hump'. I suspect that if it didn't protrude out as it does and if it was perfectly level it would be much less likely to cause this rub mark/scratch.

Aug 14, 2012 at 03:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #10 · 5dmk3 screen protection

I have just got a message that giottos have no plans to bring out a 5d3 protector. this is the one i fitted in the end and I`m pleased with it .http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/product-detail.php?cat=95&product=601&desc=GGS++Pro+Glass+LCD+Protector+Canon+5D+MkIII

Out of interest when I thoroughly cleaned the screen prior to fitting the protector and in the right light I could see some very tiny scratch marks on the screen, nothing serious but they are there which is surprising as I haven`t had the camera very long and have been careful with it. Didn`t someone say that the Canon original was made of special glass that doesnt scratch? they lied

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:22 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #11 · 5dmk3 screen protection

delete. wrong message

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:43 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #12 · 5dmk3 screen protection

dave chilvers wrote:
I have just got a message that giottos have no plans to bring out a 5d3 protector. this is the one i fitted in the end and I`m pleased with it .http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/product-detail.php?cat=95&product=601&desc=GGS++Pro+Glass+LCD+Protector+Canon+5D+MkIII

Out of interest when I thoroughly cleaned the screen prior to fitting the protector and in the right light I could see some very tiny scratch marks on the screen, nothing serious but they are there which is surprising as I haven`t had the camera very long and have been careful with it. Didn`t someone say that the Canon original was made of special glass that doesnt scratch? they
...Show more
You are absolutely right, the screen is NOT made of glass (some people think they are) It is plastic and it will get scratched without a protector. My advice is: GET ONE.

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:17 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #13 · 5dmk3 screen protection

The 5D III is very easy to see.
The covers I have seen scratch easily, get air bubles, and glare.
I will skip the cover. The stock cover on the back is an inexpensive part to replace. User serviceable.

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:30 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · 5dmk3 screen protection

Cameras prior to the 5D Mark III allow users to replace the protective LCD cover. Having a protective cover over those plastic covers didn't much make sense. I understood that the protective cover of the 5D Mark III is now more integrated with the screen itself. Protecting that makes more sense now. Still, I think self-adhesive protective covers can turn unsightly after a while and I would rather not use any at all but of course, people's opinion will vary. Whatever floats your boat.

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:31 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #15 · 5dmk3 screen protection

AGeoJO wrote:
Cameras prior to the 5D Mark III allow users to replace the protective LCD cover. Having a protective cover over those plastic covers didn't much make sense. I understood that the protective cover of the 5D Mark III is now more integrated with the screen itself. Protecting that makes more sense now. Still, I think self-adhesive protective covers can turn unsightly after a while and I would rather not use any at all but of course, people's opinion will vary. Whatever floats your boat.

Yeh! the self adhesive ones are not nice at all(I`ve tried them in the past) but that GGS pro one really does look good and IMHO actually enhances the look. Anyway! for 20 I can forget it now.

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:40 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #16 · 5dmk3 screen protection

abqnmusa wrote:
The 5D III is very easy to see.
The covers I have seen scratch easily, get air bubles, and glare.
I will skip the cover. The stock cover on the back is an inexpensive part to replace. User serviceable.

Do you have a link to the replacement for the 5D3? or part number? There seems to be conflicting views as to the cost and /or user replaceable.

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:42 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #17 · 5dmk3 screen protection

Just took a quick shot of the GGS fitted, I think it looks fine.
http://www.pbase.com/davechilvers/image/145436730

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:34 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password