Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1-series viewfinder focus wonky when tilted up, rattling ...

whitewash

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1-series viewfinder focus wonky when tilted up, rattling sound, anyone had this?

So, like the subject line says... when I tilt my 1D4 up, I hear a rattling sound and the viewfinder image goes way out of focus. When I tilt it back down, another rattle and the viewfinder image stabilizes. Sometimes I need to shake it a bit to make the image stabilize.

Actual focus is not affected, only the viewfinder image; i.e., I can trip the shutter, and the photo will come out fine (assuming it was in focus before the tilt or I autofocused before shooting).

It's clear to me that something is moving around when it shouldn't, on at least two axes. Has anyone experienced this? Might there be something missing around the focus screen, leaving it some "wiggle room?" Or, yikes, could the mirror be loose? I've taken the body cap off and played "shake, rattle, and roll" with it over my head trying to see what's moving, but haven't been able to see anything out of order yet.

I bought it used and still have about a month to send it in for service by the reseller, but I'd hate to do that as it's my main camera, it works perfectly otherwise, and I don't want to be without it. So I'm hoping this is a common, user-serviceable situation I just haven't encountered yet, and someone will make me feel stupid by posting a Youtube link. Come on, Youtube link.

Aug 12, 2012 at 03:07 AM
M006
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1-series viewfinder focus wonky when tilted up, rattling sound, anyone had this?

My 1D4, purchased new in March '10, never did this. I'd suspect something loose. Did you look at the focus screen, to make sure that the door/tray (for its removal) is firmly closed?

Aug 12, 2012 at 03:17 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1-series viewfinder focus wonky when tilted up, rattling sound, anyone had this?

+1, check the focus screen.

Aug 12, 2012 at 03:29 AM
whitewash

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1-series viewfinder focus wonky when tilted up, rattling sound, anyone had this?

Thanks for the responses! Since the focus screen notion sounds plausible to both of you, I'm off to find a schematic, a video, or something to see how it fits together. Much appreciated.

Aug 12, 2012 at 04:38 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1-series viewfinder focus wonky when tilted up, rattling sound, anyone had this?

Push up on the frame with a tool or a fingernail.

EBH

Aug 12, 2012 at 04:40 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1-series viewfinder focus wonky when tilted up, rattling sound, anyone had this?

EB-1 wrote:
Push up on the frame with a tool or a fingernail.

EBH

+1, http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/5d2en.htm

Aug 12, 2012 at 05:03 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1-series viewfinder focus wonky when tilted up, rattling sound, anyone had this?

whitewash wrote:
...I'm off to find a schematic, a video, or something to see how it fits together.

This may help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szFOsQ4pGWo

Aug 12, 2012 at 05:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

whitewash

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1-series viewfinder focus wonky when tilted up, rattling sound, anyone had this?

Thanks, everyone. The links helped, but it turns out it's not the focus screen or its frame after all. Best guess based on the symptoms and some more searching is the prism, as in the thread linked below. I never dropped mine, but it does have some scratches on the grip -- maybe the previous owner dropped and sold it. http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=377554

So it looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and send it in next week, and hope to get it back before my next event. It was worth the check, though, and now I know how to replace a focus screen.

Thanks again!

Aug 12, 2012 at 05:19 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1-series viewfinder focus wonky when tilted up, rattling sound, anyone had this?

It's the diopter lens that adjusts inside the eyepiece. I had this happen with a 1D3.

Aug 12, 2012 at 05:24 AM
whitewash

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1-series viewfinder focus wonky when tilted up, rattling sound, anyone had this?

rscheffler wrote:
It's the diopter lens that adjusts inside the eyepiece. I had this happen with a 1D3.

That does make sense. More so than the prism, since it gives a seasick effect if it happens when you're looking through it. Thanks.

Aug 12, 2012 at 05:42 AM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1-series viewfinder focus wonky when tilted up, rattling sound, anyone had this?

rscheffler wrote:

Same happened on wifes 1DsII.
Canon fixed it for free

Aug 14, 2012 at 03:41 PM
EPat
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1-series viewfinder focus wonky when tilted up, rattling sound, anyone had this?

I just had that happen on my 1dsMkII... Fixed it myself.
Heres a brief post on what happened:http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1122928/0#10723787

Just returned from a trip to DC and the camera (and lens) performed flawlessly!

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:06 PM
whitewash

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1-series viewfinder focus wonky when tilted up, rattling sound, anyone had this?

Bravo, EPat! I started down that path, but stopped after four screws -- this was my main camera and still under the reseller's warranty. Didn't want to void the warranty, especially in case some other problem was lying in wait to show up soon. The reseller RMA'd it back (after five months, one of the many reasons I love them) and will either repair or replace. I was hoping for repair because I love that camera, but they said a replacement is more likely because they have a few of them in stock. In the meantime, my backup body's feeling the love again.

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:28 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password