Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Watershot of photographer shooting Surfer

sparkeee
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Watershot of photographer shooting Surfer

This is an image I took of a fellow surf photographer. We were both swimming with our respective DSLR encased in water housings. This shot was taken near sunset. ISO 640 1/1250 second at f/8 with an 85mm f/1.8 lens and 5D Mark III

Surfer and fellow surfphotog

Aug 12, 2012 at 01:55 AM
paregorike
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Watershot of photographer shooting Surfer

That is awesome! Looks like a water ninja... It seriously looks like he just pops out just in time!

Ron

Aug 12, 2012 at 01:56 AM
ChrisCoy
• •
p.1 #3 · Watershot of photographer shooting Surfer

Certainly something you don't see every day! Nice work.

Aug 12, 2012 at 01:57 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Watershot of photographer shooting Surfer

serious sick surf shot !

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #5 · Watershot of photographer shooting Surfer

Man does that look like a good time!

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Watershot of photographer shooting Surfer

Charlie....this is a great shot and some of the images I have seen here on surging are excellent as well. So I have to ask about the etiquette of shooting surfers from in the water.

Who yields to who and are there ever collisions? I'm sure much is based on the knowledge of where to position and knowing the water, surfers etc. But I've also seen some shots....such as this one where the surfers and photos are real close.

So I'm a bit curious...

Thanks
Frank

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:37 AM
sparkeee
• •
p.1 #7 · Watershot of photographer shooting Surfer

Thanks Frank. In Northern CA where this was shot I have rarely ever seen more than 3 water photographers out at any one break and I have never had an issue. Generally speaking though, if there is an exclusive or pre-arranged shoot say between a particular photographer and surfer the other photographer should yield and not shoot their subject and also stay out of their frame.Kind of like the "uncle" at a professional wedding shoot. In other words ,no poaching. I knew the photographer in this shot and we were out there just having a freelance shoot. It really helps to chat it up with the local surfers, ask if it's OK to shoot them (some locals hate photographers and will actually threaten them for fear of exposing 'their" spot). This way they and you know what to expect in terms of how close you need to be depending on whether you are shooting wide angle(subject 2-8 feet away) or longer lens. In HI islands the crowds of water photographers are extreme . I've seen photos of 10 or more photographers in the wave with the surfer at Pipeline. VERY dangerous. There is a definite pecking order depending on skill, reputation, and length of time spent shooting there. If you show up a newbie and expect to just swim out and get in the key spot or position it would not be pretty. I surf as well so I know what to look for and avoid and it helps with building rapport with the guys you will be shooting.It is mainly the responsibility of the photographer to get out of the way when shooting. It really really helps to shoot highly skilled surfers for these wide angle shots. I have been very close to being run over and /or having a loose board hit me. I've never seen it happen. My greatest fear is the great white sharks. They are definitely up here. Once I'm in the water though ,I just relax and enjoy the beauty. I hope this helps. A sight called Surf Photographers United has many guys with many opinions and insights on this and other subjects related to surf and surf water photography.

Aug 12, 2012 at 02:26 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Watershot of photographer shooting Surfer

Wow....thanks for the detailed response. Great white sharks.....Yikes!!! I remember some discussions a while back about photog's wearing some type of protection from being hit with baseballs.

I'd welcome a line drive vs the smile of a great white...

Thanks Again
Frank

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:44 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password