Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Book on Outdoor Flash Photography

raven4ns
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Book on Outdoor Flash Photography

Has anyone come across a great book on outdoor flash photography? I need to have a more formal explanation in the successful use of a flash in regards to fill-flash etc. Thank you.

Tim

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:15 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Book on Outdoor Flash Photography

The Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites, by Syl Arena, goes into pretty good detail about using flash outdoors as either key or fill, although it also has sections on indoor flash.

Here's a review and some readers' comments:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1679905858/speedliters-handbook-learning-to-craft-light-with-canon-speedlites

It's directed at Canon users, as the subtitle states (which works perfectly for you), but I know Nikon shooters who have also learned a lot from it.

Aug 12, 2012 at 04:36 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Book on Outdoor Flash Photography

I have another book to add to my recommendation list; Bryan Peterson, author of the well-regarded Understanding Exposure, wrote another volume for the series -- Understanding Flash Photography.

I hadn't seen it previously, but I was killing time in my local Barnes & Noble yesterday and there it was, so I bought it. It's pretty good, IMNSHO. Until such time as I write my own book on the subject (wink wink) I think this one will be helpful to many who are wanting to add flash photography to their repertoires.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:37 PM
raven4ns
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Book on Outdoor Flash Photography

Thanks, Brian.

Tim

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Book on Outdoor Flash Photography

BrianO wrote:
I have another book to add to my recommendation list; Bryan Peterson, author of the well-regarded Understanding Exposure, wrote another volume for the series -- Understanding Flash Photography.

Having now read through this book completely, I'll add one caveat to my recommendation: Bryan Peterson needs to study the concept of diffusion more closely.

In several of his examples he says he wants "soft light" and so he holds a diffusion panel up to his flash...right up to it, or at most just a few inches away. That won't give soft light, and his example shots show this; they don't look any softer to me than what could be achieved with a flash alone.

Soft light requires the light source to be relatively large compared to the subject, and holding difusion material right up against the flash head does nothing to enlarge the source; you need to have the panel away from the flash so that the light can spread before hitting the fabric.

I think my next project is going to be a tutorial on this topic, with side-by-side examples using -- and misusing -- popular modifiers like Fong Domes, Sto-Fens, Lastolite panels, etc., and showing the way many people are just wasting their time and money with them by not understanding how they work...or don't.

Aug 14, 2012 at 05:57 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Book on Outdoor Flash Photography

BrianO wrote:
Having now read through this book completely, I'll add one caveat to my recommendation: Bryan Peterson needs to study the concept of diffusion more closely.

In several of his examples he says he wants "soft light" and so he holds a diffusion panel up to his flash...right up to it, or at most just a few inches away. That won't give soft light, and his example shots show this; they don't look any softer to me than what could be achieved with a flash alone.

Soft light requires the light source to be relatively large compared to the subject, and holding difusion
...Show more

As much as I like Bryan Peterson's other books (Exposure, etc), I think you could probably write a better book on flash than he did with that one.

Aug 15, 2012 at 02:37 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Book on Outdoor Flash Photography

corposant wrote:
As much as I like Bryan Peterson's other books (Exposure, etc), I think you could probably write a better book on flash than he did with that one.

It's in the works.

Aug 15, 2012 at 03:45 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password