Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Thinkpad Edge?

LARAB

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Thinkpad Edge?

My trusty HP DV6000 is on it's way out and I'm looking at the Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E530. Anyone out there using one of these? I'm not sure about the anti-glare screen and the 16 x 9 aspect ratio. I've searched and searched and have not found much for reviews.

Thanks, Brian

Aug 11, 2012 at 01:16 PM
JustinR
• •
p.1 #2 · Thinkpad Edge?

Can't speak directly to the Thinkpad Edge series, but I have a Thinkpad T520 and a Thinkpad W520, and both have been excellent machines, personally, I like the 16x9 aspect and the anti-glare screen. I didn't go with the E520 because at the time there were no screen upgrades available, and in my opinion 1366x768 is too low-res for a 15.6" screen. The website says that the HD+ (1600x900)screen is available for the E530, but I couldn't find it for purchase - this is the screen that my wife's T520 has, and it is pretty good, I have the FHD (1920x1080) screen on my W520, and it is better than any other laptop screen I have seen (including last generation macbook pros). The msata option is great to have also if you are computer saavy enough to re-install everything - there is a very noticible performance boost running all the software from a msata SSD on my W520.

I also had to contact support for my mother in law's Lenovo desktop a couple years ago, and it was one of the best warranty service experiences I think I've ever had.

Aug 14, 2012 at 04:14 PM
LARAB

p.1 #3 · Thinkpad Edge?

Justin - Thanks for the info. I've decided on a T530 with the 1920 x 1080 screen. Direct from Lenovo it came in just over $1100 with a 500 gig drive and an i5 processor. I'm not ready to make the leap to an SSD yet, but based on my current laptop (core 2 duo), I suspect the Lenovo will blow me away.

- Brian

Aug 14, 2012 at 04:28 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Thinkpad Edge?

Good call @ T530 rather than the E530 ... JustinR has nailed it @ the screen, but also there are some limitations "under the hood" in the E530 scalability, whereas the T series is built to grow.

Aug 14, 2012 at 05:11 PM
JustinR
• •
p.1 #5 · Thinkpad Edge?

LARAB wrote:
Justin - Thanks for the info. I've decided on a T530 with the 1920 x 1080 screen. Direct from Lenovo it came in just over $1100 with a 500 gig drive and an i5 processor. I'm not ready to make the leap to an SSD yet, but based on my current laptop (core 2 duo), I suspect the Lenovo will blow me away.

- Brian

You won't regret that decision - the Lenovo 1920x1080 screen is excellent, and the T520 has been great as well, there aren't many differences between that and the W5xx series, the only one that really matters to me is that I have four RAM slots in the W520.

The Lenovos have an empty slot that can take an msata drive, so you can just have an SSD as a boot drive, and keep your 500 GB platter drive for storage - it's a great way to have the speed benefit of an SSD where it counts the most (running the OS and programs) without springing for the cost of a 500 GB+ SSD to meet storage requirements.

Aug 15, 2012 at 06:07 PM
LARAB

p.1 #6 · Thinkpad Edge?

Sharing my excitement, I just ordered the new machine... I signed up to receive emails and got a one-time 10% off coupon.

On the road last January, trying to edit on my HP was a real drag (1280 x 800 on a 15" screen). Speed has never been an issue, I don't really know what fast is these days. I currently use two WD 1TB externals for storage, but I'm liking the idea of an SSD boot drive. How large?

-Brian

Aug 15, 2012 at 07:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

LARAB

p.1 #7 · Thinkpad Edge?

Justin - I just checked the link - 128gb would be enough? I'm running Win 7 64 bit, LR3 and a few other programs (Office, PS Elements, etc.) I know Elements is a big program, but I don't use it for photos much.

-Brian

Aug 15, 2012 at 07:22 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Thinkpad Edge?

One thing to note @ the four slots of RAM on the W520 ... if you don't get a Quad processor, only two of the slots are usable.

Aug 15, 2012 at 07:54 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Thinkpad Edge?

afaik lenovo screens are not IPS? i cannot find it as option on german lenovo site

i have had only good experiencies with recent thinkpads and wanted something for bed photo work?

also, do they have real mSata or still only mPCI-x? The connector is same but i wasnt able to get a drive for my one

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #10 · Thinkpad Edge?

A good site that reviews laptop screens in detail is notebookcheck.net. I'm in the market for a new machine and I'm shocked at how rare IPS panels, or even panels approaching sRGB gamut are. I'm personally leaning towards the Asus Zenbook Prime - 1920x1080 13.3" (yes I will need a dpi increase for text), IPS and roughly 100% of SRGB.

If looking at a Lenovo purely for photo work, the W530 would be best, as it has a gamut well above sRGB, though it is not IPS.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:36 PM
JustinR
• •
p.1 #11 · Thinkpad Edge?

LARAB wrote:
Justin - I just checked the link - 128gb would be enough? I'm running Win 7 64 bit, LR3 and a few other programs (Office, PS Elements, etc.) I know Elements is a big program, but I don't use it for photos much.

I am running an 80GB Intel SSD in mine, and it has Win7 64bit, LR4, Office Enterprise, Acrobat Pro, iTunes, and a couple other (small) programs installed. It is about 70% full - in general, you start to loose performance and lifespan if you run SSDs too close to 100% full, I've read that you generally don't want to run it more than 75% full for too long. I don't have photoshop or elements on it, only LR. With this setup, you can install programs to the platter drive, it would just defeat the purpose of the SSD for that program, so I'd only do that for less critical, less used programs. But, if you were careful to put all file storage on the platter, 128 GB should be enough even with Elements (or CS6) - you can move the standard Windows file storage locations (Desktop, Documents, etc.) to a different drive than the Win system drive.

RustyBug wrote:
One thing to note @ the four slots of RAM on the W520 ... if you don't get a Quad processor, only two of the slots are usable.

Absolutely correct. Mine is quad core.

Kittyk wrote:
afaik lenovo screens are not IPS? i cannot find it as option on german lenovo site
also, do they have real mSata or still only mPCI-x? The connector is same but i wasnt able to get a drive for my one

They’re not IPS, but they’re about as good as non-IPS screens get. It is a real msata in the Thinkpads, and I believe in most of Lenovo’s laptops – I’ve been running an Intel 310 as my boot drive for 7 months now.

Greg Schneider wrote:
A good site that reviews laptop screens in detail is notebookcheck.net. I'm in the market for a new machine and I'm shocked at how rare IPS panels, or even panels approaching sRGB gamut are. I'm personally leaning towards the Asus Zenbook Prime - 1920x1080 13.3" (yes I will need a dpi increase for text), IPS and roughly 100% of SRGB.

If looking at a Lenovo purely for photo work, the W530 would be best, as it has a gamut well above sRGB, though it is not IPS.

The T5XX and W5XX use the same screen (if you get the 1080P option) and almost the same case. That Asus sounds really good - personally, this is my only machine at home, and I want larger than a 13.3" screen for my primary computer.

Aug 16, 2012 at 03:52 PM
LARAB

p.1 #12 · Thinkpad Edge?

Up and running with the T530. This thing transfers from cards unbelievably fast. Only down side so far is not being able to calibrate my external monitor yet. Having an issue with Win 7 (I think). Managed to move my entire LR catalog, minus DNG's in about 5 minutes. Thanks Lightroom Queen!

JustinR - Thanks for the help, you might hear from me when I get the SSD...

-Brian

Sep 01, 2012 at 11:43 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password