Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Upgrading my iMac

maxx9photo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Upgrading my iMac

Hi all, I have a 5 years old iMac 2.4 which it is now getting slower and slower in terms of photo process/editing and multi tasking several apps (with only 4gb memory and 256 graphic, I know it is very limited). Plus now I've been printing with my Canon Pixma so a new machine would make smooth workflow. I'm really interested to get newer mac if not brand new one. Should I wait the new iMac to be released next month or so? or should I get the current line? they said the new ones would be a retina display.

I also have macbook pro (2.53 model with 8gb memory and 512 graphic) but I don't use it for photo editing, as well the 15 inch screen is not enough. I was thinking if not getting new iMac I would get a monitor and I have in mind for Dell u2711 or u2410. I know my MBP is getting to it's life cycle but I believe this one should be good for another year or two. So with the current options I have, what do you guys think and recommend? budget to be honest I have up to $2.5K. Also I have this offer from my colleague of his iMac with 3.4ghz and 16gb memory and 2gb graphic for $1800 but the thing is it's out of warranty and with the same spec I could get from BH photo for $2400 new.

I really appreciate all the inputs and advise, have a nice weekend all!

Edited on Aug 11, 2012 at 01:02 PM · View previous versions

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Upgrading my iMac

IMO, it's *really* unlikely that you're going to see a 27" Retina much less a 21" and if they do offer it, it'll be one heck of a price premium. I can't believe you're even questioning waiting another month for the new one vs. buying something at the very end of the product cycle w/ no discount. If you really want to get something, buy 8G of memory for your current iMac (assuming it'll take it) and wait a bit.

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:42 PM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Upgrading my iMac

I don't know if my iMac would take 8gb memory but assuming it would, the graphic still on 256mb, would it make any difference? just found out that it only take 6gb max memory (OWC).

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Upgrading my iMac

Wait for the Ivy Bridge IMacs to be released.

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Upgrading my iMac

The Ivy Bridge chips aren't all that much faster than the Sandy Bridge, but if you are relying on the onboard graphics it is probably worth waiting. Otherwise the best course might be to wait for discounts on the existing lines as the new ones come in.

Aug 11, 2012 at 08:05 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Upgrading my iMac

Nothing wrong in doing editing on the MacBookPro. I was pricing the updated MacBookPro with the Retina and the retina comes out slightly cheaper. I had priced with the 750GB 7200rpm drive and the high end screen. and if had gone with the Retina I would buy with the upgraded memory to 16gb.

In my opinion, the high price for the Retina is because of the SSD mainly and not much for the screen. I am looking for maybe an announcement in October for the 13" MacBookPro with Retina Screen. I run a MacPro and use a laptop[ for occasional site work. I need a laptop but not that large or heavy. I do need to replace my current MacBookPro which is still going strong after 6 years. Just a little slow. The iMacs will be upgraded within the next 6 months. The Retina screen is great for image work. I checked out the same image on the new and old 15" MacBookPro and used the loupe to focus on the eye of the same image. It was night and day with how sharp it looked.

Aug 11, 2012 at 09:40 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Upgrading my iMac

15Bit wrote:
The Ivy Bridge chips aren't all that much faster than the Sandy Bridge, but if you are relying on the onboard graphics it is probably worth waiting. Otherwise the best course might be to wait for discounts on the existing lines as the new ones come in.

Ivy Bridge brings usb3 along with it as well as the ~10% boost in cpu power.

Aug 12, 2012 at 03:38 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password