Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Archive 2012 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

Hey all!

I know I'm asking a very vague question, but I really do not know anything about the mirrorless world. I currently shoot Canon gear (5d3/5d2 + 24L/35L/85L/135L) for wedding photography (www.hofferphotography.com/anerino). I use to document my family life virtually everyday. Since shooting more weddings, I'm just not breaking out the 'big gear'. Here are some of my favorite family images: www.growingupanerino.tumblr.com

My intentions are to buy a "good" mirrorless camera (either with a fast, wide prime or buy one), buy a 32GB card and fill the card before I process any images. Problem is, I dont know anything about the cameras!

I am almost certain that I want a viewfinder. I randomly tried a Nikon V1 in the store the other day and really liked it. I'm curious as to what your suggestions would be and why!

Thanks all!

Chuck

Aug 11, 2012 at 01:36 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

Olympus OM-D.

Aug 11, 2012 at 01:38 AM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #3 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

Good question. I have been wondering that too. The wife wants something small. I have been looking at Leica and fuji xproi. Wish canon would release a rangefinder equivalent that would be fun to use

Aug 11, 2012 at 01:48 AM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #4 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

Love the family shots. I like your reviews too on hoffer. You got me to buy the sigma 85 good fun. Just traded it for a canon though. Guess the red rings suck us all in. Sorry for going off topic

Aug 11, 2012 at 01:52 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

At the moment, Olympus OM-D. If you want to shoot very high quality video and prefer an LCD that can be moved more freely, the Panasonic G5.

Aug 11, 2012 at 01:56 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

Jman13 wrote:
Olympus OM-D.

or NEX-7 or fuji XP1. those are really the only three in the running, they each have their own advantages. OM-D has a better selection of autofocus lenses, smaller lenses (debatable when you get into equivalence discussions though), faster autofocus, IBIS, faster refreshing evf, better flash control options (i think?), and a more dslr like shape. the NEX-7 has a better sensor (especially at low iso), higher resolution evf, more dials, is smaller, and is more rangefinder like in shape. the XP1 has an optical viewfinder (or crappy evf), better high iso than the other two, is bigger still, has great lenses (with poor autofocus), and is even more rangefinder like.

it really depends on what features fit you best.

Aug 11, 2012 at 01:56 AM
vovkinson
• • •
p.1 #7 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

there's only one mirrorless camera that will bring a paradise to your mind. it's Leica m9. You will hate all your 5D's in one week!

Aug 11, 2012 at 02:03 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #8 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

OM-D for usability. IBIS, wireless flash, MFT various lenses, so feature rich.

Aug 11, 2012 at 02:41 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #9 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

vovkinson wrote:
there's only one mirrorless camera that will bring a paradise to your mind........

........and insolvency to your bank account.

Aug 11, 2012 at 02:59 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

X100 or NEX-6

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

alwang
• • •
p.1 #11 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

If you're definitely set on getting an autofocus prime as fast and wide as your 24L, then it seems like the OM-D is your best choice.

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:21 AM
LightShow
• • • •
p.1 #12 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

OMD for AF
NEX-7 for manual focus.

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:36 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

Used Prices:

Under $1000
X100
NEX-5N + EVF + Sony 50mm F1.8

$1000-$1500
OM-D + Panasonic 14mm F2.5
OM-D + Olympus 45mm F1.8
NEX-7 + Sony 50mm F1.8

Over $1500 in order of cost
OM-D + PL25mm F1.4
OM-D + Oly 12mm F2
NEX-7 + Zeiss ZA 24mm F1.8

The weakness of the NEX is that there are no good cheap wide primes that will also take video in AF.

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:39 AM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

OM-D, period.

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:44 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #15 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

m9 with a 35 lux or a nex-7 with a 24 zeiss.

Aug 11, 2012 at 04:18 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

Chuck, slightly off-topic, but maybe useful nonetheless, you could consider using some of your Canon primes on your alt mirrorless, by way of a Metabones or a Kipon eletronic adapter (which lets you control aperture, even though Canon lenses don'thave an aperture ring any more).
Regarding your question, the answer lies in "where do you want to stop in terms of size/spending/IQ/features?" Depending on your answer to this, my recommendation could be the Sony RX 100, the best really pocketable camera rigth now, same sensor as the J1/V1. Or the Fuji X-100, with its clever OVF-EVF combo, and Leica-like feel and look. Or what I hold to be the best alt platform for alt glass right now, the Sony NEX 7; but no so great yet with native glass. Nothing wrong with the Nikon V1 (fast AF, small size), except the price/IQ ratio could be better IMHO. Same with the Fuji X-Pro 1, fine with its fast primes, not that great as an alt platform.
Hope this helps.

Aug 11, 2012 at 05:53 AM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #17 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

There are a number of cameras that fit your description starting from a G3+20mm 1.7 combo which might cost less than $600 to a NEX-7 + Sony 24mm 1.8 which will cost $2K+. And all of these are good cameras depending on your idea of good.

(Unfortunately the V1 that you liked will not fit your criteria simply because there is no fast prime for that system even if you are OK with the smaller sensor)

The choice would depend on a number of factors including:

1. What focal length range do u have in mind for the "fast wide prime"?
3. Do you see yourself wanting to have more lenses for that camera later down the road or is it going to be pretty much a single lens combo
3. How much are you looking to spend

Aug 11, 2012 at 06:34 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

Jman13 wrote:
Olympus OM-D.

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
At the moment, Olympus OM-D.

bobbytan wrote:
OM-D, period.

Yup!

IMO the current ranking is:
  1. OM-D E-M5
  2. DMC-GH2
  3. X-Pro1
  4. NEX-7

Also I don't think your question is all that vague. There are only about 6 or 7 mirrorless cameras worthy of consideration right now.

I dunno if I would wait for the card to fill up before copying it over tho. That doesn't sound like a good practice to me. <shrug>

And finally I dunno what to tell you on lenses. I personally don't like AF much except for candids and UWA lenses. The results I see from the "M.Zuiko ED 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 EZ" (1:1.25 macro) look pretty good! And that covers the typical family shot focal lengths pretty well (24-100mm equiv.). The new 12-35 f/2.8 might be better tho I dunno. These guys like it: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/4-3rds-cameras/38690-fun-panasonic-12-35-f2-8-a.html

Aug 11, 2012 at 08:42 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #19 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

All good recommendations.

As someone who has followed your work closely and tried to get a solid feel for your personality (as best as I can through the interwebs), I see you shooting and loving an X100 (or possibly Leica M8?).

Highly, highly recommend it. I think it'd fit your shooting style brilliantly.

Aug 11, 2012 at 09:03 AM
JonasY
• •
p.1 #20 · "Best" Mirrorless Camera with Viewfinder?

But the OM-D doesn't have any fast wide lens, unless it's ok with manual focus (17/0.95).

To OP, you need to specify your needs:
* How important is a small size?
* Is AF necessary?
* Do you consider money as a problem?
* How much do you care about image quality?
etc

This is my evaluation of some current EVIL cameras:

Nex 5N (+ EVF): Great IQ, but camera is made for newbies. Feels like a joke to handle. EVF makes it a bit clumpsy. The system lacks good, fast wider native glass. Zeiss 24/1.8 is big, expensive and its IQ not on par with Zeiss' M-mount options. Takes basically every lens made for any system, hence great for alt lenses.

Nex 7. Better handling than the 5N, but works less good with alt glass.

OM-D. Great looking, and handling. Due to small sensor there is a lack of fast wide glass. Native glass can be relatively expensive but also good, as the 12/2, 45/1.8 and 75/1.8. Not good for alt lenses. IQ worse than the others, doesn't handle colors so well imo.

M9: Expensive to say at least, not so good on higher ISO and annoying MFD. Glass can be expensive. Unmatched IQ. Every pro + con with a rangefinder.

M8: As above plus even worse for high ISO. IR problems, and manual coding of lenses. At low ISO and with good glass, unmatched IQ. One of the best digital cameras for B&W photography. Expensive, especially with fast (wide/normal) glass.

V1/J1: Only if you need fast AF and can live without DOF control.

X-Pro: Great IQ, immature system. Few lenses (yet). As with every Fuji camera, annoying in handling but delivers great IQ. A bit expensive, no market for used lenses.

Note: There is no way to rank these systems. They all have their pro's and con's and it's up to you which system that fits your needs.

Edited on Aug 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM · View previous versions

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password