Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · No possible email in my Web

jmraso
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · No possible email in my Web

Hi all,

I am thinking about not putting my email neither a contact form in my web as I am really
thinking about not quoting prices by email as I think in this hard times many couples
just study the market by asking prices and not considering at all the ones which are a kind of
far from their budget so if I dont quote prices the only way to get them is by phone which I can manage better than sending a cold quote by email or forcing them to come to my studio in which I have invested good money to make it look great, confortable and full of sample albums from several jobs which may convice them of how wrong they would be not hiring me

Any comment on this "crazy" idea??

Thanks,

Jaime

Aug 10, 2012 at 06:18 PM
KibblesNbitz
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · No possible email in my Web

Personally, I hate calling people, so if you gave me no choice but to call you, I'd think a) its inconsiderate of you to do so and b) assume you would try to use high pressure sales techniques over the phone, so I wouldn't bother calling you. In fact, I'd refuse to do business with you. I just want to know what the price is, I don't want to beat around the bush about it.

If you can't be bothered to email me your price list without resorting to sales pressure to meet or book in person, then I can't be bothered to do business with you. In fact, if you're pricing is higher and you're serving a higher end clientele, it's very likely to be a turn off. People that spend a lot of money have a lot of money. People that have a lot of money are usually important people, and are likely busy with business or other important work they're doing. Why should they take time out of their busy day to be forced to meet with you or awkwardly chat on the phone.

Also, if you're serving a higher end clientele, I don't see the big deal in posting your prices online. It's not like they're going to be scared off by the price. In fact, I'd rather it be posted online to weed out all the phone calls from budget brides looking for a $500 special.

Don't get me wrong, I get your point and all, and it certainly works for some people. But people hate jumping through hoops, so why create unnecessary hoops.

Just my perspective, YMMV.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · No possible email in my Web

KibblesNbitz, thanks very much for you answer.

You are absolutely right, I am not a high-end photographer otherwise I would care about quoting prices, I am
a good photographer with a higher price than many other "so called" photographers, I am not the most expensive one neither, all I am trying to fight is the excessive number of unfair "competitors" such as unregular photographers, wedding agencies with dozens of amateur photographers doing wedding for them etc, etc so MANY couples willing to hire a PRO with higher prices just dont do it as they surrender to the temptations from the guys mentioned above.

Any magic formula to put into practice

Thanks again,

Jaime

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:54 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · No possible email in my Web

I agree with KibblesNbitz re: your initial suggestion. It sounds like you might be focusing too much on the supposed 'competition' and things outside of your control, rather than simply on your clients and future clients needs. What exactly is the current issue with how you're taking initial inquiries and bookings? Are you getting too many price-shoppers? Booking rate too low? Not enough bookings or interest?

Aug 11, 2012 at 04:54 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · No possible email in my Web

Thanks Ricardo,

Things are a kind of difficult here in Spain so people just try save money, we THE PHOTOGRAPHERS are not getting booked as a couple of years ago not becouse there are not weddings going on but due to the reason alredy mentioned.

I dont see my PRO colleagues as competitors some of them are a kind of "friends" and we chat away from time to time but I DO see unfair photographers (not paying taxes or registering their business which costs money here in Spain), agencies saying "they sell gold but deliver shit" but couples beleive at first etc etc.

My studio is preatty well located and my work speaks byitself so when they come into my place my target client usually book me having or having had a good ratio if not and they book a friend pro photographer, thatīs fine but I am trying to
solve the losing clients due to the situation explained.

Any magic formula

I know: focuss on you work, improve, etc etc but ....

Thanks again
Jaime

Aug 11, 2012 at 05:08 AM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · No possible email in my Web

jmraso wrote:
Things are a kind of difficult here in Spain so people just try save money, we THE PHOTOGRAPHERS are not getting booked as a couple of years ago

Same situation as most anywhere else.

KibblesNbitz wrote:
Personally, I hate calling people, so if you gave me no choice but to call you, I'd think a) its inconsiderate of you to do so and b) assume you would try to use high pressure sales techniques over the phone, so I wouldn't bother calling you. In fact, I'd refuse to do business with you.

I just want to know what the price is

If you can't be bothered to email me your price list without resorting to sales pressure to meet or book in person,

To jmraso: See, here's the situation. You're asking for business advice but what you're getting is a personal bias.

And this bias is similar to the mind set of the budget bride. She fears a high price is hidden in the wings and refuses to call anyone who doesn't offer prices up front. So you'd probably fend off low budget couples if you only offer a phone number.

The fact is an interested shopper will contact you for information to at least find out the price.

There isn't any "pressure" in a phone call. The bride can hang up the phone at any point.

And if you can turn that into a phone call, a live conversation is more effective than email. Just to illustrate that point: On the phone, you say "congratulations" the bride immediately says, "thank you." With email if you write "congratulations" the bride may not respond at all, the bride may respond a week later, the bride may ignore what you wrote and jump to something else. If that's what can happen with emails when it's a reflex response such as "thank you" - you can imagine how much more difficult emails are in creating appointments.

The "I hate calling people" part is a personal bias and not business oriented. If you want to grow your business, you have to speak to people.

People that have a lot of money are usually important people, and are likely busy with business or other important work they're doing. Why should they take time out of their busy day to be forced to meet with you or awkwardly chat on the phone.

And they don't really have the time to send out emails. Or to read them. So if you think you can somehow book them just with emails, again, it's an uphill climb. It can be done, but a call is quicker, more effective.

Why don't you just call them?

Aug 11, 2012 at 06:16 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · No possible email in my Web

Thanks TheGe for answering,

As far as I understand you are also against emailing prices but not giving them on the phone thatīs my point, avoiding cold emails that dont show your work, personality etc but the phone does at least you personality ... and give you a good read of the client as well as when the come to the studio.

It takes me no longer than 5 minutes to notice weather a client for a wedding is a low-budget one or I cant provide them the style they are looking for (though I am a little flexible as long as they dont break a few golden rules).

Thanks again,

Jaime

Aug 11, 2012 at 06:32 AM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · No possible email in my Web

jmraso wrote:
Thanks TheGe for answering,

As far as I understand you are also against emailing prices but not giving them on the phone

Something like that.

thatīs my point, avoiding cold emails that dont show your work, personality etc but the phone does at least you personality

"personality" itself isn't the key. Lots of people have great personalities, yet that doesn't land the appointment.

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.