Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · I'm published.

swoop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · I'm published.

It's not a wedding photo and I've been published before, but the assignment reminded me of something I had thought about before.

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2012/08/10/shot-nypd-officer-released-from-hospital/?mod=WSJBlog&mod=WSJ_NY_NY_Blog

I'm a freelance photojournalist. Every so often, I'll 2nd shoot a wedding. Every time I apply, without fail I get asked "What wedding experience do you have?" Well, I've photographed 22 weddings. And yes, I know that isn't a lot. But what bothers me is no one looks beyond wedding specific experience. As if it's the only experience one can have.

Being a news photographer is very similar to be a wedding photographer. You rarely know what you're going to have to work with. Every day it's a different location with different conditions. A lot of scenarios are similar as well, the processional for instance is much like a perp walk. You have someone coming at you in a straight path and you're gong to have one chance to get your shot. The ceremony, it's like a press conference. You have someone standing there and you have to get a shot of them while not blocking the view of the crowd and after about 10 minutes you're pretty much just taking the same picture over and over again.Formals are like covering community events. People need to be told where and how to stand, to look at the camera, to not blink. It can also be like a feature story, where you have the chance to get creatve with the lighting and angles if time allows.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:07 PM
LivLif
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · I'm published.

Congrats!

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #3 · I'm published.

Cool shot man, good for you!

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · I'm published.

Congrats !

Aug 11, 2012 at 01:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ACRe
• •
p.1 #5 · I'm published.

Swoop, have done some of this photojournalism stuff myself, you speak the truth. The part that resonated with me is the never knowing what you are going to see....

Andrew

Aug 11, 2012 at 01:17 AM
ShacharLee
• • •
p.1 #6 · I'm published.

Congrats!

Aug 11, 2012 at 04:54 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · I'm published.