Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Trying to Improve My B/W Conversions

NFagan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Trying to Improve My B/W Conversions

Lately I've been on a black/white kick -- for whatever reason, shots have seemed to work better that way.

But I'm not too great with Photoshop. And so I'm trying to get better.

Any chance y'all could give some feedback on the following images, with an eye towards the quality of the conversions? What'd I do / not do well?

Best,
Nick

3. Self-portrait.

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:27 PM
Jred
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Trying to Improve My B/W Conversions

Nick - nice subject. I would first say that my comments are subjective.

Pic #1 - the frame leaves me feeling a little lost. The model would be much more interesting if she was looking towards the camera.

Pic#2 - Seems a bit soft. Like the idea a lot.

Pic#3 - My eye moves away from the subject to the lighter areas around you.

John

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Trying to Improve My B/W Conversions

Nick- I'll limit myself to processing considerations, which I admit are subjective:
There's an awful lot of noise in #3 for some reason- perhaps not easily dealt with.
1. I'd prefer more contrast in all of these images.
2. Also some additional sharpening and edge sharpening.
Charlie

Aug 11, 2012 at 01:47 AM
astro-ep
• • •
p.1 #4 · Trying to Improve My B/W Conversions

I'm not sure I'm really qualified to comment, but I'll take a shot...

I don't do a lot of people shots. But on my B&W shots (usually IR), I try to get more contrast. I like the high contrast potential of B&W. IMO, every B&W shot should have a little pure black. You can see this by looking at the histogram in "Levels" Move the black slider over until it just touches the edge of the curve. If the photo is too dark or light, move the grey middle slider to adjust this. You can also play with the right slider, but I find that not all photos need to have pure white.

I shoot a lot of IR, which may require different processing that other shots. But this is usually where I start, just to see what's in the image and if there is any potential...

My 2-cent's-worth...

Eric

Aug 11, 2012 at 02:16 AM
joe604
• •
p.1 #5 · Trying to Improve My B/W Conversions

I like the shy downward look in #1 -- it is expressive. Bringing the eyes up to the camera would have made it even better. The window framing is a great idea, but if you were to show more of the window frame on the left side then the composition would feel more balanced. The sunglasses give it a good candid feel, but it would look better without them.

#2 is very nice.

Joe

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM
sauerball
• •
p.1 #6 · Trying to Improve My B/W Conversions

The best advice I could give you is go look at NIK Sliver Efix for B&W. It works in CS or LR. It does an awesome job and is not very expensive. To learn how to use it get Black and White from snap shots to great shots. Plus they have lots of tutorials on NIK. Good luck, keep shooting.

Aug 12, 2012 at 08:25 PM
Gyroscope
• • •
p.1 #7 · Trying to Improve My B/W Conversions

sauerball wrote:
The best advice I could give you is go look at NIK Sliver Efix for B&W. It works in CS or LR. It does an awesome job and is not very expensive. To learn how to use it get Black and White from snap shots to great shots. Plus they have lots of tutorials on NIK. Good luck, keep shooting.

+1 You simply have to have it. Check out my site everything was done with silver efex.

Aug 18, 2012 at 09:28 AM
astro-ep
• • •
p.1 #8 · Trying to Improve My B/W Conversions

Gyroscope wrote:
+1 You simply have to have it. Check out my site everything was done with silver efex.

Some great photos on your site, Gyro.

Eric

Aug 18, 2012 at 02:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gyroscope
• • •
p.1 #9 · Trying to Improve My B/W Conversions

Thanks Eric.

Aug 18, 2012 at 09:02 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Trying to Improve My B/W Conversions

I like your images. I do a lot of BW. When posting on internet forums, half the people will always cry out for more contrast. I truly believe most of them do not know how to properly critique an image. The contrast in your images is just fine. Hold your ground!

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:19 AM
NFagan

p.1 #11 · Trying to Improve My B/W Conversions

Really appreciate the feedback. This isn't the first (or even eighth) time I've been told to look into Silver Efex -- seems like I've got some experimentin' to do.

Aug 19, 2012 at 08:58 PM
astro-ep
• • •
p.1 #12 · Trying to Improve My B/W Conversions

It's got a free trial for a couple weeks. Nothing lost in giving it a try.

Eric

Aug 19, 2012 at 09:00 PM
Charles Loy
• • •
p.1 #13 · Trying to Improve My B/W Conversions

OP- I sent you an PM..

Aug 19, 2012 at 09:07 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Trying to Improve My B/W Conversions

I would try diff tone

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:31 PM
coloured

p.1 #15 · Trying to Improve My B/W Conversions

I can attest to the awesomeness of Silver efex! simply amazing.. in fact I have purchased their entire collection after trying out silver efex..

here's an example

Aug 21, 2012 at 09:47 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password