Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1DMKIV or 5DMK3 for my type of photography?

Brea

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 1DMKIV or 5DMK3 for my type of photography?

I need a body soon!

I can either spend 3400 on either... a used MKIV or new 5DMK3.

I love to shoot portraits at events so autofocus is important... this isn't a studio :l Most of the time I shoot in portrait orientation (90%) so maybe I would need a grip if I get the 5D. Currently the only lens I own is the 70-200 zoom... which one should I get? Which one would you get if you were in this situation?

Would appreciate any help!

Edited on Aug 10, 2012 at 08:06 PM · View previous versions

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:01 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 1DMKIV or 5DMK3 for my type of photography?

The proverbial question: What should I get? Honestly, only YOU can make that determination, but based on what little information you provided as to your shooting style, I would say 5D3. You'll have the AF and full frame for portraits and a little bit of speed and great AF for any action shooting you might do. What body are you shooting with now? What limitations has it placed on your photography? You need to ask yourself some questions as to what your NEEDS are, not what your WANTS are. If the only lens you own is a 70-200, maybe you need to invest in another lens rather than a new body, perhaps a 24-70 or a prime lens if you are into portraits.

Jo

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:06 PM
WiredMike

p.1 #3 · 1DMKIV or 5DMK3 for my type of photography?

You may want to do a search through the forums. This exact subject has been discussed multiple times.
Also if you do a Google for "MK4 and 5D3 compare" you will be surprised how many people are pondering the same thing.
How do I know this? Because I am looking at the same thing.
Good Luck

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:12 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #4 · 1DMKIV or 5DMK3 for my type of photography?

Brea wrote:
Currently the only lens I own is the 70-200 zoom...!

Neither....get a used 1DSIII for $2200 range and more glass. 85/1.8, 50/1.4, etc

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:16 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · 1DMKIV or 5DMK3 for my type of photography?

artsupreme wrote:
Neither....more glass. 85/1.8, 50/1.4, etc

As I posted in your thread a few days ago, you will open up more new opportunities for photographs by adding 2 or 3 quality lenses than you will by getting a new body. As fine a lens as the 70-200 II is and even with the flexibility of it being a zoom, you are still limited to a relatively narrow focal range, and, even the size of that lens can sometimes be restrictive.

As asked by someone in an earlier post, what camera body are you using now? I'm assuming that you are using a body of relatively recent vintage. If that assumption is not correct, I might be inclined to alter the advice given in my first paragraph. If, on the other hand, you are using a camera of relatively recent vintage, there is a lot less difference in the quality of images that various recent cameras are capable of producing than you would be led to believe from reading posts on internet forums, and, that being the case, additional glass will give you more benefit per dollar spent than a new camera body will.

Les

Edited on Aug 10, 2012 at 09:58 PM · View previous versions

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:26 PM
umgrizz

p.1 #6 · 1DMKIV or 5DMK3 for my type of photography?

artsupreme wrote:
Neither....get a used 1DSIII for $2200 range and more glass. 85/1.8, 50/1.4, etc

I want to know where I can get that used 1Ds3 for $2200! The least expensive one for sale in the last couple of weeks on the FM buy/sell list has been $2500 and good used ones (< 25K actuations) here and on ebay are still going for $2700 to $2900. Please point me to that $2200 1Ds3. Maybe it will be that price in 2 to 4 months but so far I haven't seen it.

Curt

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:43 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #7 · 1DMKIV or 5DMK3 for my type of photography?

umgrizz wrote:
I want to know where I can get that used 1Ds3 for $2200! The least expensive one for sale in the last couple of weeks on the FM buy/sell list has been $2500 and good used ones (< 25K actuations) here and on ebay are still going for $2700 to $2900. Please point me to that $2200 1Ds3. Maybe it will be that price in 2 to 4 months but so far I haven't seen it.

Curt

They are all over the place, FM & Ebay are not the only shops in town. My buddy just picked up a LN body for $2300 locally. Look around.

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:06 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #8 · 1DMKIV or 5DMK3 for my type of photography?

WiredMike wrote:
Also if you do a Google for "MK4 and 5D3 compare" you will be surprised how many people are pondering the same thing. How do I know this? Because I am looking at the same thing.

Kind of a strange comparison though isn't it? I can see asking about the 1DsII vs. 1DsIII vs. 5D2 vs. 5D3 but the 1D4 is an entirely different beast with very different strengths to all those FF bodies. They are complimentary as neither one can do what the other can.

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TeamSpeed
• • •
p.1 #9 · 1DMKIV or 5DMK3 for my type of photography?

ggreene wrote:
Kind of a strange comparison though isn't it? I can see asking about the 1DsII vs. 1DsIII vs. 5D2 vs. 5D3 but the 1D4 is an entirely different beast with very different strengths to all those FF bodies. They are complimentary as neither one can do what the other can.

The 1D4 and 5D3 are really not that different, considering they are very close ISO-wise, and AF-wise. The only notable differences are the size/ergos, the 1.3 crop vs FF, and resolution, neither of the last 2 are game-changers.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:09 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #10 · 1DMKIV or 5DMK3 for my type of photography?

Haha, well those are fairly big differences to me at least. If I was doing 90% portrait work like the OP I would not even think about the 1D4. The 5D3 is going to offer far more for that type of photography. I shoot sports/equine most of the time and I really wouldn't ever want to be limited to 6 FPS and a small buffer. Not to mention the difference in reach although not as bad as the 1D4/1DX comparison.

Aug 11, 2012 at 02:36 AM
TeamSpeed
• • •
p.1 #11 · 1DMKIV or 5DMK3 for my type of photography?

ggreene wrote:
Haha, well those are fairly big differences to me at least. If I was doing 90% portrait work like the OP I would not even think about the 1D4. The 5D3 is going to offer far more for that type of photography. I shoot sports/equine most of the time and I really wouldn't ever want to be limited to 6 FPS and a small buffer. Not to mention the difference in reach although not as bad as the 1D4/1DX comparison.

The 1D4 does great portraiture work, but again the difference in DOF between it and a FF is very minor. It is also very sharp and its ISO performance lies right between the 5D2 and 5D3. I never get these "portraits require format X" comments, because I have had them all, and when I match up glass properly to any format, they all do portraits nicely.

I only do this as a hobby, so these are not very pro, but I hope they get the point across.

Heck, even the 7D can do portraiture

Edited on Aug 11, 2012 at 03:20 AM · View previous versions

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:03 AM
markd61
• •
p.1 #12 · 1DMKIV or 5DMK3 for my type of photography?

The 5Dmk3 makes the most sense from my perspective. It is the newer camera and offers features that are not present in the 1Dmk4. That is not to say that the 1D falls short. It is a superb camera but I don't care for the weight penalty.
The 1.3 crop is not a huge issue but if you are going to get all fussy over bokeh then you may want to avoid the 1D body.

As for using the 70-200 2.8 for portraiture, it is my favorite lens on my 5Dmk3 but I use it on a tripod as much as possible for maximum sharpness. The more deliberate approach really makes a big difference in the sharpness that is much more haphazard when handheld.
The AF in the mk3 is a giant improvement over the 5Dmk2 and for me the improved focus was like buying new lenses .

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:06 AM
TeamSpeed
• • •
p.1 #13 · 1DMKIV or 5DMK3 for my type of photography?

markd61 wrote:
The 5Dmk3 makes the most sense from my perspective. It is the newer camera and offers features that are not present in the 1Dmk4. That is not to say that the 1D falls short. It is a superb camera but I don't care for the weight penalty.
The 1.3 crop is not a huge issue but if you are going to get all fussy over bokeh then you may want to avoid the 1D body.

As for using the 70-200 2.8 for portraiture, it is my favorite lens on my 5Dmk3 but I use it on a tripod as much as possible
...Show more

Spot AF is the only thing really missing from the 1D4 offered by the 5D3 for portrait work. I cannot think of any other feature that the 5D3 offers that gives an advantage over the 1D4 (or even the 5D2 really), unless I am missing something obvious.

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:14 AM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.1 #14 · 1DMKIV or 5DMK3 for my type of photography?

I own a 5d mark III and a 5D, seeing you are only owning the 70-200 makes me think about going for more lens and get a 1dsMark II.

You can get one for 1200 USD and then add a 16-35L + 50 mm 1.4 + flash + 85mm1.8+etc...

Or maybe going for the 1DsIII plus the 16-35L makes most sense? Mmmm change that 16-35 for the 50mm + 85 mm and the 17-40L and you are set.

Aug 11, 2012 at 08:48 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #15 · 1DMKIV or 5DMK3 for my type of photography?

markd61 wrote:
The 5Dmk3 makes the most sense from my perspective. It is the newer camera and offers features that are not present in the 1Dmk4.
As for using the 70-200 2.8 for portraiture, it is my favorite lens on my 5Dmk3 but I use it on a tripod as much as possible for maximum sharpness. The more deliberate approach really makes a big difference in the sharpness that is much more haphazard when handheld.
The AF in the mk3 is a giant improvement over the 5Dmk2 and for me the improved focus was like buying new lenses .

I agree, the 5D3 is the better choice

Aug 11, 2012 at 09:33 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password