Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · It's here!

fisherman_188

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · It's here!

Sorry I know there have been several un-boxings of the new Canon 600mm f/4L IS II USM but in my excitement I just couldn't resist posting. I also wanted to give a Big thanks to Peter (PetKal) for helping me find one of these big guys! Will post some shots from it next week. Canon is having a show at Rocky Mountain National Park this weekend, hoping to get to try it out with a 1D-X while I'm there.

JC

Aug 10, 2012 at 07:40 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · It's here!

Excellent, JC. I am glad things have worked out OK and you've got your super lens.
You've also got the special foot for it already.
Looking forward to reading your impressions about the lens performance with 1DX.

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:02 PM
fisherman_188

p.1 #3 · It's here!

Thanks Peter. Yes, I got the RRS LCF-53 foot installed on it before I realized I'd need to take it off to put the LensCoat on. For anyone wondering, this lens got to a Canadian store less than 2 weeks ago and already has the updated firmware. So for anyone getting one soon, you shouldn't need to send it it to be updated. Well at least the 3rd digit in my serial number is a 1 so it should be updated .

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:11 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · It's here!

JC, do you have the Zeck's cap for it......or are you planning to get one ?

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:13 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #5 · It's here!

Fisherman, did you get this from canada? if so how did they ship it and did you have to pay any extra?

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:14 PM
WiredMike

p.1 #6 · It's here!

That is absolutely beautiful.
Keeps me dreaming!

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:22 PM
fisherman_188

p.1 #7 · It's here!

big country wrote:
Fisherman, did you get this from canada? if so how did they ship it and did you have to pay any extra?

Yes I did order from Canada, Aden Camera to be exact. Had it on order with Camera Canada for 2 months and they had yet to receive a single lens. Well I was in the same boat as you, wondering what types of fees I would get hit with. The common thing on the on the forums is that if you use something other than "ground" shipping through UPS or FedEx that you will not get charged brokerage fees. Though, after calling UPS several times I couldn't get an answer, they said that all services were subject to brokerage fees. So after looking over paperwork at the UPS site to no real advantage I decided to go with UPS Worldwide Expedited which was 3 day shipping at $516 Canadian for the shipping. Apparently Aden Camera didn't put a customs form on the package even though they worked so well with me on which shipping I wanted. It got hung up in customs for a day in Kentucky and I received the lens today instead of yesterday. So far I've seen no extra charges for brokerage, and if it had gotten hit with duties or taxes because they used the wrong tariff code I think they would have charged upon delivery.

So, I'll get back with you in a week or two if I haven't received a bill in the mail by then. By the way USPS/Canada post will not ensure anything over $1000.00 so that route is kind of out of the question. Ended up getting it about $1000.00 cheaper than US prices after shipping.

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:25 PM
fisherman_188

p.1 #8 · It's here!

PetKal wrote:
JC, do you have the Zeck's cap for it......or are you planning to get one ?

No not yet Peter. After the lens and current accessories, I don't dare even bring a Zeck Cap or the cheap BetterBeamer I want to the wife. I'd like to live long enough to use the lens ha. Did get a Speedlite 600-RT in too so should help with the fill light.

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:27 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #9 · It's here!

Wow. Take some shots of the moon for me!

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:18 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · It's here!

fisherman_188 wrote:
So, I'll get back with you in a week or two if I haven't received a bill in the mail by then.

JC, UPS might try to extract duty on the declared value....something in the vicinity of 2.0-2.3 %.
If they do so, I think it is worthwhile talking to their brokerage department about the US import tariff schedules, because I believe that such lens should be exempt from any import duties, in accordance with the trade agreement with Canada.
The agreement is symmetrical, i.e., it should work both ways. Over the years I have bought several dozen lenses from various US vendors, and no import duty was ever levied.

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

big country
• • • •
p.1 #11 · It's here!

Wow, so you paid $1000 less after that $516 shipping charge? that is pretty awesome.

The reason why it landed in kentucky is because ups's express hup for the US is located there.

From what i understand if you ship something overnight from durango to steamboat spring co via ups, it will still go thru that hub in louisville, ky.

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:42 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #12 · It's here!

Can't wait until B&H informs me that this baby's in stock. They usually offer free shipping and no tax.

Db

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · It's here!

Doctorbird wrote:
Can't wait until B&H informs me that this baby's in stock. They usually offer free shipping and no tax.

Db

Db, is that "free" shipping the USPS stagecoach option ? Up to eight days nominally ?
God knows how many parcel throwers will try their hand on your lens in that period.
If you upgrade the shipping to 3 day UPS, that will cost ya around $120, which is still not bad, I guess.
Furthermore, I understand B&H or the carrier can not collect any California State sales tax from you for goods purchased out of state, regardless of whether the goods come from NY or Canada.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:58 PM
steng

p.1 #14 · It's here!

Doctorbird wrote:

Db

Just because the seller does not collect tax does not mean there is no tax. If your state has a sales tax then you owe use tax if the seller does not collect tax. Go to your states tax department page and look up use tax.

PetKal wrote:
Furthermore, I understand B&H or the carrier can not collect any California State sales tax from you for goods purchased out of state, regardless of whether the goods come from NY or Canada.

B&H can collect any states sales tax they want to (this would save you the trouble of tracking and then remitting the use tax to your state). They do not have to collect sales tax in a state they do not have nexus in.

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · It's here!

steng wrote:
B&H can collect any states sales tax they want to (this would save you the trouble of tracking and then remitting the use tax to your state). They do not have to collect sales tax in a state they do not have nexus in.

OK, then, let us try to rephrase that: do you have any record of B&H collecting the use tax on an item sold/shipped to a Californian customer ?

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM
steng

p.1 #16 · It's here!

Normally the seller will only collect tax if they have to. If the seller collects the tax then there is the record keeping, registering (AZ charges a fee to register to collect sales tax ), and filing that they then have to do with no or very little benefit to them.

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:24 PM
anthony whitmo
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · It's here!

I've had mine for a few months

Your gonna love the new Toy!!

If your pairing it with a 1Dx (Like I am) Your REALLLLLY Gonna love it!!!!!!!

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:26 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · It's here!

Why do some people complain about the supertele lens case again? Looks like a well made case.

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:42 PM
Fr3d
• •
p.1 #19 · It's here!

n0b0 wrote:
Why do some people complain about the supertele lens case again? Looks like a well made case.

Because "steal me" is written all over it.

Aug 11, 2012 at 08:01 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · It's here!

PetKal wrote:
JC, UPS might try to extract duty on the declared value....something in the vicinity of 2.0-2.3 %.
If they do so, I think it is worthwhile talking to their brokerage department about the US import tariff schedules, because I believe that such lens should be exempt from any import duties, in accordance with the trade agreement with Canada.

Not correct... lenses imported to the USA are subject to duty.

Our trade agreement with the USA has no bearing on this, because the lenses are not manufactured in Canada.

Aug 11, 2012 at 09:04 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password