Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · What do you use for vacations

JimClark
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · What do you use for vacations

Son going on a trip to Austrailia and he does not have a laptop was wondering what you guy's use for storage if you do not bring a laptop?
Just buy lots of cards?

Aug 10, 2012 at 07:23 PM
farski
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · What do you use for vacations

For the same price as "lots of cards" there are better options, including cheap/used laptops or netbooks, or ipads, or photo storage devices. So if he's spending money anyway, I wouldn't buy more cards.

Aug 10, 2012 at 07:58 PM
nelvayut
• •
p.1 #3 · What do you use for vacations

He can use a netbook or a sanho hyperdrive. For a month vacation, I usually bring my small laptop and my sanho 320GB hyperdrive.

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:07 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #4 · What do you use for vacations

A tablet or Netbook is way more expensive than even a lot of memory cards. A portable external dive is the way to go. Something like a portable 1TB from Kingston or so costs around $150 max.

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:28 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · What do you use for vacations

Lots of cards. CF or SD cards are really cheap today. Especially if you don't need fast cards, which most people don't need for travel/vacation. A 32GB CF card can you get for $ 35-40. And a SD card for less than $ 20.
It's safer and lighter than all other options when travel

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:44 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · What do you use for vacations

vsg28 wrote:
A tablet or Netbook is way more expensive than even a lot of memory cards. A portable external dive is the way to go. Something like a portable 1TB from Kingston or so costs around $150 max.

But an external drive need a computer also ?

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:46 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #7 · What do you use for vacations

So it does. Ugh.. Brain damage.

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:47 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #8 · What do you use for vacations

Lots of cards it is then.

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:49 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · What do you use for vacations

farski wrote:
For the same price as "lots of cards" there are better options, including cheap/used laptops or netbooks, or ipads, or photo storage devices. So if he's spending money anyway, I wouldn't buy more cards.

I would not trust a cheap used laptop/netbook for all my photos. But if you do that, then you have to compare with cheap used memory cards also. And used small sized memory cards can be bought for nearly nothing today

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #10 · What do you use for vacations

Take both, lots of cards and a portable storage device so you always have two copies of every file. Otherwise tell him to start saving for his return trip to reshoot what may be lost.

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM
DLP
• • • •
p.1 #11 · What do you use for vacations

I've tried just about every option including the hyperdrive but as Lars said cards are so cheap today that they make the most sense and they don't take any space.

Dave

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:32 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · What do you use for vacations

Lots of cards. it really cheap now-a-days.

Aug 11, 2012 at 01:12 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · What do you use for vacations

JBPhotog wrote:
Take both, lots of cards and a portable storage device so you always have two copies of every file. Otherwise tell him to start saving for his return trip to reshoot what may be lost.

It depends on what cameras he is using. All my cameras have two memory slots. And then you can make the two copies in the camera when you are shooting. It's a lot safer than using storage device.

Aug 11, 2012 at 06:24 AM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #14 · What do you use for vacations

Lars Johnsson wrote:
It depends on what cameras he is using. All my cameras have two memory slots. And then you can make the two copies in the camera when you are shooting. It's a lot safer than using storage device.

With a dual slot arrangement watch out for vast mismatches in the classes of cards you put in each slot. A slow card in slot 2 will slow down a fast card in slot 1/

Aug 12, 2012 at 07:40 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · What do you use for vacations

GroovyGeek wrote:
With a dual slot arrangement watch out for vast mismatches in the classes of cards you put in each slot. A slow card in slot 2 will slow down a fast card in slot 1/

But even if you use the slowest card in the world, it will still be a lot faster than backup to a portable storage. And you can also do the backup (in the camera) to the second card after finish your shooting if you like that.

Aug 12, 2012 at 07:54 AM
CUclimber
• •
p.1 #16 · What do you use for vacations

farski wrote:

I don't quite see how a $600 32GB iPad is a better option than 446GB worth (7 x 64GB @ $85/ea) of SDXC cards.

In a related question-- is there such thing as a small and portable card duplicator? The only ones that I see when I search for them are large 15/20/30 slot desktop duplicators.

Aug 12, 2012 at 06:14 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · What do you use for vacations

Nothing beats memory cards for a holiday These are my "vacation cards"

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password