Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · M-mount / Minolta Hi-Matic

ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · M-mount / Minolta Hi-Matic

It seems my Hi-Matic 7s2 clone is finally pretty much dead :-(. It's been fixed a few times, but now I'm not getting anything out of it. This is shutter priority, so once the meter goes, it's useless, and the electronics in this are not good. Anyway, I'm wondering if there is anything similar in size, functionality and format in m-mount?

Essentially, something that is small, can take a compact & fast 35-45mm lens, and has a built in meter.

The hi-matic was so useful, quick and easy to use, and is my-day-to-day camera these days. I wonder if I should just try and find another that's working/decent condition, but I'm kind of curious to see if there is an interchangeable option that might be similar...

Aug 10, 2012 at 06:25 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · M-mount / Minolta Hi-Matic

Closest would be a CL or CLE

Aug 10, 2012 at 06:28 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #3 · M-mount / Minolta Hi-Matic

Have you had them side-by-side to compare? I find it hard to judge how big it actually is :-(

Aug 10, 2012 at 06:31 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · M-mount / Minolta Hi-Matic

ricardovaste wrote:
Have you had them side-by-side to compare? I find it hard to judge how big it actually is :-(

No, although I do know the Cl/CLE is larger, but they're still the smallest M mount cameras with a viewfinder by a fair bit (the next smallest is probably a Bessa R2)

Aug 10, 2012 at 06:35 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #5 · M-mount / Minolta Hi-Matic

it doesn't need a battery to fire. use it in manual mode? use sunny 16 if you don't have a meter.

only the E or F required batteries.

http://www.jwhubbers.nl/mug/HiMatic2.html

Aug 10, 2012 at 06:37 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #6 · M-mount / Minolta Hi-Matic

cle is smaller than my himatic 9.

Aug 10, 2012 at 06:38 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #7 · M-mount / Minolta Hi-Matic

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
it doesn't need a battery to fire. use it in manual mode? use sunny 16 if you don't have a meter.

only the E or F required batteries.

http://www.jwhubbers.nl/mug/HiMatic2.html

If you read my OP... clone... I'd love to use it in manual mode, but these were all shutter priority.

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
cle is smaller than my himatic 9.

Hmmm I think the hi-matic 9 was quite a 'large one', at least compared to the 7s2... confusing!

Aug 10, 2012 at 06:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

redisburning
• • •
p.1 #8 · M-mount / Minolta Hi-Matic

same camera as the Konica Auto S3 and the Vivitar 35es.

you're not going to do much better than that, practically speaking. I suggest replacing it.

Aug 10, 2012 at 07:25 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #9 · M-mount / Minolta Hi-Matic

redisburning wrote:
same camera as the Konica Auto S3 and the Vivitar 35es.

you're not going to do much better than that, practically speaking. I suggest replacing it.

Fair eenough, I will start searching again. Just looking at the cost of the cle, I don't think I could justify that for casual snaps. Thanks for your advise (everyone).

Aug 10, 2012 at 07:31 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #10 · M-mount / Minolta Hi-Matic

you bought and repaired a clone?

yashica fixed rf's have aperture priority.

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:44 PM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #11 · M-mount / Minolta Hi-Matic

My Hi-Matic 7s cost me around $25. It has fully mechanical operation so works fine without batteries other than the meter which needs the battery. I have no idea if the meter works because I never really found the right battery for it. And it is larger than 7sII or canonents but at $25 there is nothing to complain about really.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:41 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · M-mount / Minolta Hi-Matic

curious80 wrote:
My Hi-Matic 7s cost me around $25. It has fully mechanical operation so works fine without batteries other than the meter which needs the battery. I have no idea if the meter works because I never really found the right battery for it. And it is larger than 7sII or canonents but at $25 there is nothing to complain about really.

yeah, i keep meaning to get two of these - one for the lens, one to actually shoot film. they are not at all expensive.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:51 PM
KrankyKraut

p.1 #13 · M-mount / Minolta Hi-Matic

I am partial to the Minolta Hi-Matic E. It has the same great 40mm 1.7 lens, but has an automatic parallax compensating viewfinder. I liked it better than my 7sII. You can get the batteries at Batteries Plus. They look like the original ones and fit precisely. I don't remember if you have to adjust the ASA to compensate for different voltage.

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password