New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Manfrotto 410, 405 and 400 Heads

SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Manfrotto 410, 405 and 400 Heads

I had though myself generally well informed but only recently discovered these 400 series tripod heads. My primary tripod use is with the Wimberelt MK II gimball head for longer lenses. After buying two ballheads-that drove me nuts I, recently, bought two 410s and a 400. I use one 410 for a Zeiss spotting scope (and what a relief from a ball head!), and the others for photography.

This series of heads, offers, independent, 3 axis geared adjustment. No matter what you pay for a ball head you adjust (often disturbing 2 out of 3) all axis while there's always some kind of deflection/shift at the final point of torque. This defies quick precise framing and reframing adjustments.

Yes the 400's are bigger and often heavier (405 and 400!) than most ball heads but are ideal for fine frame adjustment for landscape, architecture and product photography. The 410 and 405 has a strange QR plate that can be mated with an Arca QR clamp. Checkout these strange looking heads they just may be the best for your work.

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Manfrotto 410, 405 and 400 Heads

I agree with your sentiments, but I wonder why you assume that the typical FM reader isn't aware of this option. Many FM members are well aware of the geared head option. Do a quick search on 'geared' to see some recent threads. Of course, there are many more threads that touch on on geared heads that don't have 'geared' in the subject...

Aug 10, 2012 at 07:51 PM
kdphotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Manfrotto 410, 405 and 400 Heads

You also might find the Arca D4 and the Arca Swiss Cube more refined than the Manfrottos.

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:06 PM
pcho
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Manfrotto 410, 405 and 400 Heads

I own the Manfrotto 405 and I prefer it to ball head. I find ball head hard to use. That said I love the gear head as it is excellent for fine tuning. However the degree of accuracy is not there. I think that is where the Arca Swiss D4 would shine judging by what I see in their video demo. I am considering getting one of those myself. The 405 is too large and heavy to travel. The Arca Swiss D4 is almost half the weight of the Manfrotto 405

Perry

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:40 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Manfrotto 410, 405 and 400 Heads

Well at least we have a front page discussion of the virtues of geared heads which would have saved me, as a tripod head newbie, from buying a cursed (at) ballhead-or three.

That's because I (and maybe a few others?) was once so green that I assumed that ballhead "LockShift" must be a "feature" of the lower priced units. So I worked my way right up to the top of the line to discover that no matter how much you pay you get LockShift in every ball head for free.

I didn't want to spend quite that much on the Cube and, at least one reviewer/user likes the fact that the 410/405 don't have exposed gears. So far the 410/400 combo seems to work for me and I got the 400 used-at low enough price that I can turn it over for a profit.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Manfrotto 410, 405 and 400 Heads

I love my manfrotto 410 geared head for astro shots. I use it on top of a leveling base for polar alignment and it is fantastic. Others say they like it for macro work.
The manfrotto geared head is heavier and larger than my B1 ballhead and does not move quickly. So for landscape and or wildlife, I prefer using my ballhead. Hence I have both, the geared head comes out at night.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Manfrotto 410, 405 and 400 Heads

I like the 410 for both macro and tilt-shift shooting.

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:27 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.