Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Holy crap what camera???

sedouglas

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Holy crap what camera???

I've played around quite a bit with 35mm cameras in the past, but have decided to take the plunge into the DSLR camp. I've got several uses in mind and with all of the different models it's hard to decide. The majority of use will most likely be landscape/portrait hobbyist type stuff. But I also moonlight as a private investigator, so some very low light long distance stuff is likely as well (I'm building an in car mount for this). I'm not exactly a newcomer to photography, so I'm going to go full frame and was thinking D700 since it is relatively inexpensive right now. But will it fit my needs for low light. I've read a lot about the D3s low light capability, but I'm afraid that is just too much camera for me and I won't see the benefit. Thoughts?

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:08 PM
Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Holy crap what camera???

"was thinking D700"

can't go wrong

"But will it fit my needs for low light"

perhaps its finest attribute

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:16 PM
Chris Dees
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Holy crap what camera???

I would wait a few weeks.
According to the rumours Nikon is about to release a new afordable FX camera; D600.

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:17 PM
sedouglas

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Holy crap what camera???

Thanks for the input Kell, I haven't been able to find much on the low light ability for the D700.

Chris, I'm in no rush, but... I have read a lot about the D800 and I don't think any new models are a right choice for me. I may hold off until the beginning of the year though, just to see how things shake out.

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:23 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Holy crap what camera???

Best landscape 35mm digital SLR camera available is the D800....however, some of the lenses might be in the Canon camp.

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:30 PM
niXer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Holy crap what camera???

If you like the D700, I'd recommend going for the D3 like me. Dual cards, faster FPS and pro-body for a just a bit more over the D700.

Though I will say for PI work, I'd recommend the D7000 + TC-14E + 70-200mm VR.

You're going to want to be as far away from your subject so the extra reach of the D7000 is welcome. Also if you need to do video surveillance it's a flip of a switch.

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:32 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Holy crap what camera???

One thing to consider with the long distance stuff is that long lenses ain't exactly cheap.

I have and love a D700, and it really is great in low light. But with a D800, you would have the same if not a bit better low light capabilities, plus the ability to crop a LOT or zoom in, so you can make incriminating photos with shorter lenses!

Consider a D800 with a 70-200VR2 plus maybe a little TC action, VS a D700 with a 300 2.8. I'm thinking the D800 combo would be a bit more versatile for you on the long end, plus you can zoom.

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:32 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Holy crap what camera???

for conspicuous PI type work, I would go for a d3200.

Much more inconspicuous, more "pixels per duck", and quite efficient in low light. If you are focal length limited, it will work as good or better in low light than even taking a d800 and cropping.

Throw on a 180mm voigtlander SL and people will have no idea what you are up to. (tiny lens, tiny camera, fairly "zoomed in")

Aug 10, 2012 at 06:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Holy crap what camera???

you can't go wrong with a D700, period.

It's one of the best cameras Nikon has ever made, and will do most anything most people need.

If it doesn't cut it, then it's time to look for something far more expensive.

Aug 10, 2012 at 06:44 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Holy crap what camera???

D700 is a great camera. I would consider that over the tba D600 from what I have read regarding controls, AF points.

The things I didn't like about the D700 (sold it this week ) *Live view - it seems like an after thought compared to the D7000, D800. *Bracketing - again, seems like an after thought & took a read of the web/manual to work out it actually had it.
I found the matrix metering is better on the D7000.

I just now ordered a D4, so needless to say I am excited After playing with my mothers I couldn't settle on the D800.

Aug 10, 2012 at 06:52 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Holy crap what camera???

MikeW wrote:
I just now ordered a D4, so needless to say I am excited After playing with my mothers I couldn't settle on the D800.

Not to be nosy, but what does your mother use a D4 for?? My mother would use it to hang a picture frame.

Aug 10, 2012 at 07:37 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Holy crap what camera???

rofl. She has sold more images than me & is active in our part time studio for maternity & newborn. Wildlife has been her thing & more importantly has the means to buy what she wants, go where she wants to use it & somehow takes some great images.

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:34 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Holy crap what camera???

MikeW wrote:
rofl. She has sold more images than me & is active in our part time studio for maternity & newborn. Wildlife has been her thing & more importantly has the means to buy what she wants, go where she wants to use it & somehow takes some great images.

That's awesome. Sounds like she is enjoying life, good on her.

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:37 PM
sedouglas

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Holy crap what camera???

So, it sounds like I can go with pretty much any Nikon body and be ok. I guess I'll just wait a bit and see if the D600 materializes and make my decision then.

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:50 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Holy crap what camera???

sedouglas wrote:
So, it sounds like I can go with pretty much any Nikon body and be ok. I guess I'll just wait a bit and see if the D600 materializes and make my decision then.

I would disagree with that and agree with the other posters that talk about long lenses on a DX camera. IME, for stationary surveillance, you can't have too long of a zoom lens or too high an ISO. ATM, the best DX camera for that, is the d7000. Unfortunately, Nikon doesn't have a really good long zoom for surveillance, IMO. Maybe the Sigma 50-500 would work, but that's a huge lens and I don't know how well it would work on a d7k in low light.

The best surveillance cameras that I used, weren't dslr's, they were high end, interchangeable lens, video cameras with a night scope lens, for long range surveillance and a briefcase or body camera with button lens, for the close stuff. I used my own dslrs and lenses as well, but the video cameras were much easier to use in getting the job done. The dslrs were mainly used for forensic purposes, but a small digicam accomplished the same goal, plus had the audio available for any commentary.

If I were doing that stuff today, I'd be looking at a top end prosumer or pro video camera first, to see what low light stuff and lenses are available. I believe it's much easier to mount video cams in a vehicle too, depending on what you need to do. Flip out screens on any of the video cams are much easier to use, while remaining stealthy, than using a dslr viewfinder and only the largest video cameras would come close to the physical size of a dslr with a big telephoto stuck on it.

Lastly, if you need to use the stuff for court, video tapes are acceptable in every court in the US. Last I knew, that wasn't true for still images.

Food for thought
Kerry

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:52 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password