Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Inexpensive 24/35/wide f/1.4 aperture lenses for FX?

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Inexpensive 24/35/wide f/1.4 aperture lenses for FX?

Right now I'm looking for something at least fairly inexpensive with good enough optics and usable f/1.4, CAN be manual focus, older lens. I've already looked at the Samyang stuff. Considering older/manual focus because of price, I am very limited in funds right now. Anything cheaper than Samyang at the moment that gives usable f/1.4 at 24/28/35mm?

Aug 10, 2012 at 03:18 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Inexpensive 24/35/wide f/1.4 aperture lenses for FX?

someone was listing a 35 1.4 AIS on Kijiji up here (kinda like craigs list) for around $450. That's about the lowest you can go I'm thinking unless someone is selling without really knowing what they've got.

Nothing modern lower than the sammys.

Check out KEH for an idea of pricing.

Aug 10, 2012 at 03:25 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Inexpensive 24/35/wide f/1.4 aperture lenses for FX?

Fast and wide is not that easy to make.

a used samyang is likely going to be the easiest choice.

Aug 10, 2012 at 04:01 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Inexpensive 24/35/wide f/1.4 aperture lenses for FX?

Why would you go for a basically unknown lens for $450 when the Samyang 35mm model is $500 or less and is a VERY good lens. The 24mm is higher and reports say isn't quite as good, but by the time you get an adapter etc. you will have more into your "cheap" lens.

Aug 10, 2012 at 04:09 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Inexpensive 24/35/wide f/1.4 aperture lenses for FX?

The 35 1.4 Samyang is an excellent lens. Another option is the old 35 1.4 AIS, much smaller.

Guy

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

form
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Inexpensive 24/35/wide f/1.4 aperture lenses for FX?

I suppose that I am going to be considering the Samyang 35mm then, since all reports say it's the best combination of optics, function and price that is reasonably available to me.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:42 PM
markhout
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Inexpensive 24/35/wide f/1.4 aperture lenses for FX?

I posted these in an earlier thread as a quick snapshot example of Samyang's 35mm 1.4. I have more experience with it now, and it is difficult to focus properly (I use LiveView as much as possible to ensure focus). Also, it is big and heavy and cumbersome. Bokeh could be nicer. But hey - the next alternative is a Zeiss which is 3-4x more expensive, and lower rated on resolution!

2:1 zoom in LR, which shows that I flunked the focus on the eyes - the hair behind his ear is in focus:

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:42 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Inexpensive 24/35/wide f/1.4 aperture lenses for FX?

Nikon MF lenses represent great value for money as I learned shortly after taking the plunge and buying a D700 after years shooting Canon with their best lenses. I was looking for something a bit different and bought a single Nikkor MF lens, the 105 f/2.5 AI-s and fell in love with shooting manual. Over the next two years I bought 29 more Nikon MF lenses. I'm probably not done yet.

But speed with these Nikkor lenses often comes at a cost. Wide open you'll find busy backgrounds can translate into jittery bokeh. This is certainly the case with the beautifully made 35 f/1.4 AI-s. In terms of color, contrast and sharpness the lens is wonderful. It is not an inexpensive lens by Nikkor MF standards, perhaps in part because of its speed and the fact it is still being produced. New they run close to $1,100. Used in excellent condition they run about half that. From what I've read, the Samyang produces a more pleasing bokeh and it is about the same price. It is quite a large lens, though that may not be a problem for you. I've not shot with it so have no opinion.

Since you're relatively new to Nikon I'll refer you to a couple of sources used by folks shopping for Nikon lenses. Good luck and if you feel so inclined you might want to check out the last few hundred pages of the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread that is approaching its second anniversary and is by far the most active thread in the Nikon forum, with folks from around the world celebrating these lenses. And check these out too...

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/index.html

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

Aug 11, 2012 at 04:58 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Inexpensive 24/35/wide f/1.4 aperture lenses for FX?

The 35/1.4 Nikkor is OK for certain subjects, but the 40+ year-old design has serious aberrations at f/1.4-2. I sold my last one for ~$350 over ten years ago.

EBH

Aug 11, 2012 at 05:12 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password