Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Guidance

mawyatt

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Guidance

I just received my D800 and 24-70 from B&H after 6 months waiting!!

Next week I will be in DC and plan on stopping by the Air & Space muesum at Dulles. This weekend will be tied up and I won't get any time with the D800 and 24-70. My other camera is a D7000 which I am somewhat familiar with, and I would use the 18-105 VR for this but I would really like to use the new D800.

Any guidance on using this D800 24-70 combo to shoot aircraft indoors at the muesum?

Thanks,

Aug 10, 2012 at 01:36 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #2 · Guidance

tripod, stopped down, probably need some exp comp depending on the colour (all white). Zoom in for detail shots, look for angles, engines etc for more interesting images rather than a photo of a plane.

Aug 10, 2012 at 02:18 PM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #3 · Guidance

I think MikeW covered it in a nutshell.

I would add this. Since it is a "new to you" camera on its first outing you might find it productive to set it on "M" and shoot totally manually. It will force you to set up your shots a bit more deliberately and to decide for each shot what f/stop and shutter speed/ISO/white balance you want to use.

Gene

Aug 10, 2012 at 02:48 PM
mawyatt

p.1 #4 · Guidance

MikeW and Gene,

This is a business trip that I'll be sneaking in a short muesum visit. I'll have all carry on for the flight, so no room for the tripod.

Manual is a good idea. What about exposure compensation? I know with my D7000 I need to under expose about 1/3 to 1/2 stop with the 18-105 VRI or 70-200 VRi.

Do you think I would be better off taking the 70-200 VRI since I'll be handheld and the VR can help (the 18-105 VR is a DX lens so not considered)? This seems a little long for what I envision will be needed, that is why I thought about the 24-70 even though it's new to me as well as the D800.

Just wish I had more time to fool around with the D800 and 24-70, but at least I finally got them after waiting 6 months from B&H!! I know, I should have gone elsewhere but I'm an optimist, so the D800 was always coming next week!! Same story for my investments, just hang on they'll gain next week!! Well at least the D800 did arrive, not so with the stocks!!

Thanks for the help,

Aug 10, 2012 at 06:10 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password