Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Reuters Robot cameras at olympics

marko1953
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reuters Robot cameras at olympics

Have people here seen the Reuters News robot cameras? I didn't post pics here in case I breach olympic copyright but they appeared on my Reuters iPad app today. They are canon 1DX with elaborate motorized housings operated remotely by radio. They are all over every Olympic venue and give amazing shots otherwise impossible to get.There are some articles on other sites about the role of the photographer at events like the olympics and how with robot cameras there is no need for a photographer. Of course I don't agree but interesting nonetheless.

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:59 AM
the888account
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reuters Robot cameras at olympics

Think I saw one yesterday quickly watching the Long Jump on TV.

There were 3 IDx's coupled with L series lenses (couldnt tell the model to be honest). 2 of the iDx's looked normal, but the one on the very end was was on a funky looking tripod, cables everywhere and a radio antenna (looked like a pocket wizard at first) strapped to it as well.

Must have had at least 20k of kit just covering the LHS of the long jump pit - awesome

Saw Usain Bolt pick up a camera after the the 200m final last night Looked like a Nikon though

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reuters Robot cameras at olympics

Yes, Bolt picked up a Nikon from some press photographer and started shooting the photographers, the crowd and his countryman Blake, what a character! Those 1Dx rigs look awesome must be worth a packet , and there are so many at each event. If you want to see what they look like just google "reuters olympics robot cameras" (in google images).

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reuters Robot cameras at olympics

There was a thread on this already. Can't seem to find it but yes, a lot of us saw it.

edit: Found it - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1128982/0

Aug 10, 2012 at 02:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

the888account
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reuters Robot cameras at olympics

I need one of these. Heck, I'm an engineer by trade! - I'll be in my shed for a while...

Aug 10, 2012 at 04:41 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Reuters Robot cameras at olympics

When photographers get disappointed with Canon, and down on the company because a certain button is misplaced or a feature added, I think it's very short-sighted. Granted, Nikon has a wonderful body in the D800/D800E, but Canon really knows how to reach out and get its technology and gear integrated into mainstream media.

No camera company comes close to Canon's commitment to photographers, videographers, news media, feature films and television production. The 1DX seems eminently qualified to fill these roles, as does the 5D3 to a lesser degree. And then, there are the "C" bodies designed primarily for filming.

Go Canon!

Aug 10, 2012 at 04:51 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Reuters Robot cameras at olympics

^ I think this is due to the shear might of Canon's global network logistics. Nikon is good too for smaller events but I when it comes to large scale photographic support, Canon dominates. I remember reading Canon had multiple support centers to cover the Royal Wedding where accredited professional photo-journos can get services or gear.

Sony has alot potential because it too is a large company with huge resources.

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:01 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password