Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Warped Sensor

Brad Williams
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Warped Sensor

Is it possible for a sensor to get warped or should I look at my lenses?

I should shoot a bunch of test shots before I ask, but I haven't...

Old School Canon 5D Mark i with a boatload of shots on it. I have used the heck out of it!

I notice it for sure on the 24-105 F4 L IS, which just came back from the shop a month or so ago... Everything on the right side of the photo is soft. Divide the photo in 4 and its the furthest left 1/4.

Aug 10, 2012 at 02:28 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Warped Sensor

More likely your lens mount is out of alignment or your 24-105 suffered a hard ride with UPS and elements drifted from true. My 70-200 4L became very soft on the left side after I ran a couple blocks with it around my neck. I cradled it much of the time as I ran but apparently there was enough trauma to knock the elements out of alignment. Canon fixed it but now I stow my gear in a bag before bolting.

Aug 10, 2012 at 02:57 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Warped Sensor

^ as said the sensor itself may not be warped but the chassis may be or more likely the mount.

Aug 10, 2012 at 03:05 AM
PhotoTeacher
• •
p.1 #4 · Warped Sensor

If you see the problem with other lenses, then possibly the sensor is out of alignment, but if it is only with the one lens, then that points to a lens problem, with the mount or with internal elements. I had a similar problem with my 70-200, and it took 3 trips to NJ before they got it right, but it has been fine since.

Gochugogi wrote:
More likely your lens mount is out of alignment or your 24-105 suffered a hard ride with UPS and elements drifted from true. My 70-200 4L became very soft on the left side after I ran a couple blocks with it around my neck. I cradled it much of the time as I ran but apparently there was enough trauma to knock the elements out of alignment. Canon fixed it but now I stow my gear in a bag before bolting.

Aug 10, 2012 at 03:57 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Warped Sensor

Check for play in the camera mount. If there is any, tighten the screws. Check for loose screws in the camera mount. If there are any, tighten the screws.

Check for play in the lens mount. If there is any, see if you can find screws to tighten, but they are likely to be very tiny if you can find them. If it is the lens mount that is wobbly, you may have to have it repaired.

Do rigorous image tests of all your lenses. This is one occasion where brick walls can be handy. Make sure that the camera is absolutely parallel to the brick wall. Use triangles and the half-field of view (horizontal and vertical) as seen in the viewfinder to check to make sure you are parallel. "Rigorous" means careful control of variables. Apply logic and care and you can do it.

Aug 10, 2012 at 04:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Warped Sensor

My D800 may have a warped sensor too.

EBH

Aug 10, 2012 at 04:34 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Warped Sensor

Sensors do not warp. They are built on crystalline silicon substrates that are sliced extremely thin. If there was enough differential force on one corner or edge to 'warp' it, it would crack.

Camera bodies like the 5D classic and the D800 are made from alloy metal chassis and tend not to 'warp' unless subjected to sufficient trauma that all kinds of other problems show up first.

Mounts do shift or get loose, rarely.

Aug 10, 2012 at 04:39 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Warped Sensor

Monito wrote:
Sensors do not warp.

Nevertheless, a few photogs have been known to get a bit twisted...

Aug 10, 2012 at 06:48 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Warped Sensor

Brad Williams wrote:
Is it possible for a sensor to get warped or should I look at my lenses?

I should shoot a bunch of test shots before I ask, but I haven't...

Old School Canon 5D Mark i with a boatload of shots on it. I have used the heck out of it!

I notice it for sure on the 24-105 F4 L IS, which just came back from the shop a month or so ago... Everything on the right side of the photo is soft. Divide the photo in 4 and its the furthest left 1/4.

Well YES you should shoot a bunch of test shots.
You should test the 24-105 and if possible a couple more lenses . Then if possible test them on a different body . (if it's you only body then do you know someone else with a canon body? )

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:00 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password