New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Camera setting for dpi

mqqse
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera setting for dpi

When I take a pic with my camera (5D classic) and open it in PS, it opens up at 75dpi. What do I need to change in the settings to have a pic open at 300 dpi?

Aug 09, 2012 at 09:12 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera setting for dpi

Why? If your shooting jpg you can't change it. Until you decide a print size ppi is a completely meaningless number.

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:06 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera setting for dpi

You must have a rather unique camera. As far as I know Canon cameras use 72 dpi for DSLRs and 180 dpi for recent consumer models. This setting is embedded in the camera's firmware and cannot be changed in the camera regardless of image quality setting selected.

As already pointed out, its more or less an arbitrary and somewhat meaningless setting unless you're making prints. At that point you can always use an image editor to modify the dpi setting.

mqqse wrote:
When I take a pic with my camera (5D classic) and open it in PS, it opens up at 75dpi. What do I need to change in the settings to have a pic open at 300 dpi?

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:05 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera setting for dpi

Modern printing software ignores ppi (pixels per inch) or at most takes it as a hint that can be overridden.

dpi (dots per inch) is not an image attribute, but is instead a printer head attribute: how many dots of ink the jet can blurt out onto the paper in horizontal and vertical dimensions. Values of 2400 and 3600 dpi are not uncommon.

(courtesy of Wikipedia)

Aug 11, 2012 at 09:28 AM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera setting for dpi

I seem to remember my 1D2 producing jpegs at 72dpi and Raw at 240? dpi
I believe my 5D2 does 240dpi for either jpeg or Raw
Check your 5DC out and see if it changes. If it does, I would suggest shooting Raw for the files you know you need to print larger.
Also look in your software i.e. photoshop because it may show very large pixels at 72dpi and when you change to 150, 200, or 300 dpi, the image will still show enough size for an 8x10 as an example.
Hope this makes sense for you.

Aug 11, 2012 at 09:36 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera setting for dpi

You raw processor produces images at what ever ppi you set it at. At 72 ppi setting or 300000 ppi the pixels are the same, its the number of pixels you have the determines the quality of the print. Raw is good for a number of reasons but the ppi of the file is not one of them. PPI is a arbitrary and meaningless number in a digital file until you determine the size of your print. Forget about it

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:01 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.