Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

Tom K.
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

Interesting article entitled, "Why Bad Wedding Photographers Have Made The Industry Better".

I thought wedding photographers might enjoy reading it.

http://fstoppers.com/why-bad-wedding-photographers-have-made-the-industry-better

Aug 10, 2012 at 01:52 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

100% agree and it's only going to get better as the "fauxtographers" fall to the wayside.

Aug 10, 2012 at 02:12 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

i agree as well...

Aug 10, 2012 at 02:22 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

I was just wondering, did the writer have permission to post those photos?

Aug 10, 2012 at 02:22 AM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

yep ... the more i learn the craft and the business of wedding photography .. the less i think about Craiglister.

Aug 10, 2012 at 02:26 AM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

The old saying that bad news travels faster than good news. Not really true.

Our perception is that if we screw up our career is over but the truth is that people have very short memories and it's the photographers with the balls to continue on that stay in business.

Two years ago a local chap was front page news for getting people including clients involved in a scam that lost everyone a lot of money though he appeared to come out ahead.

The attention seemed relentless, the public anger well documented and yet his doors remain open and he is doing business as usual now.

The idea that bad press will kill you is a complete myth.

Aug 10, 2012 at 04:13 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

This is a very interesting post. Wedding photography has definitely gone through a massive speed bump in the past few years. I recently raised my pricing to combat a slumped CA market to target more of the high end which has been a wonderful thing with my business. My cousin who's out screaming and hollering that she'll shoot a wedding for $900 is completely stagnant.

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:04 AM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #8 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

While it's pretty well written, the paragraph about "what happens when a wedding photographer screws up" is pretty flawed in its logic.

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:08 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #9 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

This article seems like wishful thinking, unfortunately. A lot of folks who hire bad photographers either end up justifying their images, hiding them out of embarrassment, or truly being happy with them. Very few publicly declare their images to be poor and urge others to spend more money than they did.

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:14 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

cineski wrote:
I recently raised my pricing to combat a slumped CA market to target more of the high end which has been a wonderful thing with my business. My cousin who's out screaming and hollering that she'll shoot a wedding for $900 is completely stagnant.

"Raise your prices and get more business." You ought to tell your cousin to double her prices so that she can double her bookings. Triple her prices and triple the bookings. The more you charge, the more bookings you get.

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

riddell

p.1 #11 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

I'm noticing through customer comments that loads of them are wising up to the fact that there is way more to photography than just owning a digital camera.

Paul.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #12 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

Yeah I feel like the demons in this industry aren't necessarily the craigslist photographers, those are a joke in themselves. I feel like it's the Jasmine Starr disciples that have a cute blog and the same photos on every post who think it's all about getting attention and lovely-dovey kissing pictures.

Edit: Perhaps "demons" is the wrong word, maybe the new "fauxtographers" as Inku delicately put it.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

Thank you for this link.

Ralph

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.1 #14 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

Fauxtographers in it for the fame and popularity are going to fold much faster than a new photographer who is in it for the sake of the service. Craigslist just invites too many unknowns into the equation. Those photos posted look pretty horrible though.

Aug 10, 2012 at 01:21 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #15 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

I love the champagne glass image !!!

Aug 10, 2012 at 02:49 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

I don't think it is fair to call those photos "bad photography" just because you don't share the same photographer's vision. If those were in the photographer's portfolio and a bride hired them for that "style" then I'm sure they would be thrilled, they are at least properly exposed and in focus. To me, better examples of bad photography would be for example, cake cutting with focus missed on the back wall and not properly exposed, which is more difficult to argue is some sort of particular style. If I apply selective color to a rose for one of my photographs for a client that wants it does that make me a "bad photographer"?

Aug 10, 2012 at 02:54 PM
Chris Beaumont
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

Hmmm....seems a bit of a faulty assumption.

If so many people are saying to him "wish we'd hired you for our wedding" I'm not sure how that proves anything beyond that people will keep hiring cheap photographers and regretting it after.

Seems a massive leap of logic (or very wishful thinking) to assume one day sometime in the near future that the collective intelligence of the world will have a simultaneous epiphany and "change their ways"

Aug 10, 2012 at 03:26 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

Some brides are satisfied, some are dissatisfied, some will tell others to spend more, some will tell others to demand more portfolio samples, some will encourage others to choose that photographer or will say they got a great deal on such a cheap photographer.

It's not really as black & white as the linked article suggests. That's only one partisan view, there are multiple potential outcomes and multiple directions for each outcome.

I'm sure that a few people will regret choosing an inexpensive photographer or a family friend, while many others are satisfied with the finished product enough to prevent them from dissuading others.

I think economy is a more significant driving force than the experiences of many of the brides. Experiences are sometimes shared and sometimes forgotten, but the perceived availability of money might have a bigger effect on how much people spend and the resulting decisions they make.

Aug 10, 2012 at 03:32 PM
widjayaman
• • •
p.1 #19 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

DannyBostwick wrote:
Yeah I feel like the demons in this industry aren't necessarily the craigslist photographers, those are a joke in themselves. I feel like it's the Jasmine Starr disciples that have a cute blog and the same photos on every post who think it's all about getting attention and lovely-dovey kissing pictures.

Edit: Perhaps "demons" is the wrong word, maybe the new "fauxtographers" as Inku delicately put it.

So this probably will open up a can of worms if not beaten to death already, but do you think Jasmine Star is a 'fauxtographer'?

Aug 10, 2012 at 03:51 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Bad wedding photogs make industry better.

Inku Yo wrote:
100% agree and it's only going to get better as the "fauxtographers" fall to the wayside.

The problem is fauxtographers are like the heads of hydra, for every one that falls by the wayside, two more take their place.

Also, if you are waiting for things to get better by the general public wising up, I hope you packed a lunch.

I agree that the $300 Craigslist guy is not the threat to the wedding photographer trying to make a living. The threat is the talented weekender who has a full time job who charges enough to keep himself in toys but not enough to feed a family.

Aug 10, 2012 at 03:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password